Coupon code for good 144Hz monitor, GET IT WHILE IT LASTS

kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
edited May 2014 in Competitive Play
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor

this coupon code takes 10% off the base price of $270 dropping it down to $243 meaning you save $27. with tax it's around $261. this was already about the cheapest decent option for a 144 OR 120Hz gaming monitor. it's a good monitor, it's the one I use and the one i've recommended to all of my teammates in T6. everybody i've known to use it has loved it for ns2. it also supports lightboost, if you're into that kind of thing, and 3d which nobody cares about. color balance isn't great, this is a GAMING MONITOR, it's fine for regular purposes but obviously not an IPS panel. additionally, i love the stand on this thing. it slides up and down and rotates ninety degrees. shitty integrated speakers included.

Newegg Coupon Code: MNTMEMORIAL11

this should be good through 5/26.

i'm not going to say that a 120Hz+ monitor will make you better at ns2, but it's a tangible advantage. if you haven't played with one before you will say "holy shit i can see everything." tracking stuff feels easier with a high frequency monitor.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you need to get over 100fps in game for this to make a difference. also, a lot of people don't realize there are different types of DVI cables, but you need to use the included dual-link DVI to get up to the higher frequency ranges.

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    $350 Australian with $50 shipping = exact same price as the BenQ I am eyeing right now :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you are like me, when I got 120hz I said "This isn't that much better." Then I went back to 60hz and went "this is terrible."
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    This monitor is a lot worse than all of the BenQ models. It's great for gaming but useless for absolutely everything else. It has terrible colours and light dispersion and there's a visible pixel grid throughout the entire screen. You've been warned.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    Not sure what pixel grid you are talking about but I do agree on the colors. I have the 27in 144hz model right now. The crappy TN panel + gamma adjustments make everything look like shit but it is super smooth for gaming... and at that price, it's great.

Gunna have to wait till the new Asus ROG 27in model comes out. That's gunna be boss.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    If you are like me, when I got 120hz I said "This isn't that much better." Then I went back to 60hz and went "this is terrible."

I never understood the LCD craze that overtook most people in the early oughties. They were really awful back then, even for LCDs. Garbage black levels, 16-bit R5G6B5 colours with dithering, often with a very recognizable stippling pattern visible, 60 Hz (at best), massive ghosting and very uneven brightness due to being backlight with a CFL; *Barf*. I used the opportunity to upgrade my so-so syncmaster CRT to one of the best CRT ever made, the Sony GDM FW900, I got it for cheap; so cheap I almost felt guilty about it. The FW900 was embarassingly good.

When my CRT died, in 2011-2012 or something, I had to use a hand-me-down LCD for a bit. Crappy TN panel with ghosting + 60 Hz. I barely played any games for several months until I got a Benq XL2411T. The black levels are OK, the colours are meh (it IS a TN-panel, which probably means 18-bit R6G6B6 with dithering), but it is as smooth as a CRT with light boost at ~10% of the price of the FW900 (when it was still being made).

I still think CRT are better. They may weigh more than a brick shithouse, but realistically I'm only going to move them twice. One thing that also annoyed me with LCDs at first is the sharpness of the text. You don't see jaggies very well with CRTs, they blur a bit, not overly so, just nicely blurry, like a kind of like an analog sub-pixel bicubic interpolation. That problem is mostly solved by just having higher res by now.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    blah blah blah crts are good, thanks old man, we know :P

yeah, this monitor is for playing ns2. if all you care about is having the optimum experience for playing ns2 then buy this monitor. that's why i bought it. for everything else it's just decent. hence the price. the color reproduction is satisfactory, the viewing angle is pretty lame. it's utilitarian and functional, and great for ns2. it's as good as a monitor can be for playing ns2. i have a beautiful samsung screen sitting in my hallway gathering dust because i watch movies on my TV and i play ns2 on my computer.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    joshhh wrote: »
    Not sure what pixel grid you are talking about
    Try getting really close to the monitor with an all-grey background. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to the 24" panel though.

Try getting really close to the monitor with an all-grey background. I'm not sure if it's exclusive to the 24" panel though.

i don't know what this means
    Seriously? Set a unicoloured grey wallpaper and get close to the monitor. The pixel grid is clearly visible. It's also been complained about in lots of reviews.
    if i get about six inches away from the screen and look really carefully i can tell there are individual columns of pixels, but nothing seems outside of the norm.
    Oh well. It's no biggie anyway. The main point is the picture quality being piss poor. You can argue it's for gaming only (which it is just as good at as the BenQs) but I want my main monitor to be more than barely usable because I do other stuff than gaming.
    yeah i mean, to each his own i suppose. i've calibrated a lot of monitors, and i'd call the picture quality of this one pretty standard. maybe you just experienced a bad unit?
    If that's true then there's several bad units out there, as a ton of reviews complain about the same things.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Step 1: Buy cheap Asus 144hz for gaming
    Step 2: Buy one or two 2650x1440 IPS from Overlord for everything else.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    XL2420TE

Pretty good for stuff besides gaming too - still doesn't compare to the IPS from Overlord for picture quality but I really love this monitor.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The new Asus ROG 27" with g-sync is gonna assassinate my wallet.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is g-sync any good?
    ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms LED Backlit LCD 3D Monitor for $242.99 after applying promo code DADSGRADSDLS (valid through 6/14). Shipping is free. Also ShopRunner eligible.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @santaclaws Its not just good its god like, if experienced you'll never go back to a normal monitor again.
    edited June 2014
    nvidia actually released a mod kit for this asus monitor to add g-sync support

also the impression i get is that g-sync isn't gonna do that much for you if you're already cranking out 100+ fps.
    G-Sync works great for games like ns2 that have incredibly unstable frames thanks to the variable refresh rate. If your playing games like CS and already hold 200fps for the most part, it wont do anything different than any standard high refresh rate monitor.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have this asus monitor on my secondary setup and its a great piece of hardware.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    james888 wrote: »
    I still think CRT are better. They may weigh more than a brick shithouse, but realistically I'm only going to move them twice. One thing that also annoyed me with LCDs at first is the sharpness of the text. You don't see jaggies very well with CRTs, they blur a bit, not overly so, just nicely blurry, like a kind of like an analog sub-pixel bicubic interpolation. That problem is mostly solved by just having higher res by now.

Oh dear, I can't believe you just said that the lack of sharpness on a CRT looks better than an LCD.

I only got an LCD in 2009, and I was gaming. I'd always prefer using someone's laptop for graphics editing because it's much sharper, the image quality shows off all of the artefacts otherwise overlooked on an LCD. Not to mention they look worse over time, pixel sizes are stretched.

If anyone says they don't notice the difference between 120hz or CRT's are better than a good LCD, please slap them endlessly. 120hz was so god darn noticible, and the improved image quality and density LCD's offer is so much nicer looking on a glossy screen.