Field Marine Guide

Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=285188088

I have written I guide and I would be thankful if someone could take the time to check if I did mistakes or forgot sth. you want to see included.
Thank you in beforehand and I cannot wait for a European draft tourny,

[HBZ] Warforce17

EDIT:
Thank you Jackson,

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    If marines block both choke points to the alien hive location, aliens cannot expand. I personally tend to call this offensive Lane-Blocking.

A common term is "containing" - applies to alien side as well. Used in RTS and mobas and anything in between. It also extents to containing the aliens res nodes - So you can let the aliens have 3 harvesters, but you're preventing them from getting a 4th or a 5th, by containing them to those 3. It happens naturally when you lane block and of course, but the term containing specifically refers to the expansion rate, while lane blocking refers to the denial of free-space for the alien lifeforms.
    Pushing is a term of aggressive marine play. A sentence such as “push X” basically means “attack location x”. The aim of pushing is to destroy buildings (especially harvesters) and to divert the attention of the alien team to the pushing marines. This forces the aliens to defend and don´t forget that defending aliens cannot attack. Therefore, good pushes dictate the pace of the game and can force aliens to move from one push team to another. At this point aliens run around in circles which puts them under constant pressure and forces them to make mistakes.

I guess that's not completely wrong, but I prefer thinking of the term pushing as: Trading a defensive position for an offensive position - i.e. You are in South Tunnels on tram, you push in to HUB to gain a positional advantage. Killing harvesters with pushes is a biproduct of getting the positional advantage, but it's not necessarily the goal - which you did touch on of course, but I believe this paragraph can be refined a bit.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Nice, short and sweet guide. I'd spruce up the illustrations a bit though. They don't look that clear at first sight. You could probably just zoom in on the bottom half of the minimap so the icons appear larger and you don't have to click the pics to enlarge them.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    Pics are bigger now.

@SantaClaws‌
    I will rephrase the text a bit to account for your comment.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    We have like... 3 ppl making guides... work together and it'll be done very well.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like you guys got RapGod to volunteer as an editor!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Probably the highest usefulness:numberofwords ratio to any marine guide I've seen so far. Nice job!
  • zipy124zipy124 England Join Date: 2014-06-27 Member: 197004Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2014
    Adding to the corner checking part of the guide would be good in my opinion as you should note about the corridors with girders along the roof which aliens can hide behind causing a sneaky ambush and is commonly forgotten about.
    Here are 4 pictures as an example, not they are in a corridor and not a room
    JlrvGAv.jpg
    Full pictures
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Looks like you guys got RapGod to volunteer as an editor!

I sense sarcasm.. rightly so :-p