NS2-attack! Suggestion for Twitch Show.

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
This is a suggestion for a ns2 related twitch show- I'm hoping @WasabiOne‌ or some of the prem teams sees this.

A bit of introduction first (sry, I'll be brief).

Back when there was no Starcraft2 - there was a game called Starcraft BroodWar. Like NS2, the learning curve and skill gaps were enormous- but it still managed to become one of the most popular competetive video games, if not THE most, especially in Korea.

In Korea they even had a frequent TV show called "Battlenet Attack", where a progamer would go to some TV studio where there would be two TV-show hosts - and the progamer would basically log on to battle net and battle the viewers on TV while the hosts would interview the progamer during the game. Mostly, the progamers would fool around and do silly strats and sometimes trash talk- but it would also be a huge embarassment to them if they ever lost a game, so that created a lot of tension and excitement. And the viewers would often try to do silly strats themselves, like nuking, to embarrass the progamer.

Example PART1 (Fast forward a lot to see the actual game)

Example Part2

Anyway, TeamLiquid picked up on this idea, and created TeamLiquidAttack - which is basically the same, except it would be "foreign pro-players", and there would be no TV studio, just a ventrilo channel between the player and the hosts. The hosts would give the players 'handicaps', to make it more even against the viewers. This continued briefly in SC2 as well. -Oh, and streamcheating is expected and accepted! :) -that means, do not put a delay on the stream, you have to be able to communicate with the audience after all, or the whole thing makes no sense.

Example 1 (SC:BW)

Example 2 (SC2)

So for NS2 - there are obviously some differences between the two game/genres that require some logistical adjustments, if something similar would ever be pulled off for NS2.

Having one player participate in the show, would perhaps not be the best way to go about this, but I suppose it could be done like that. Preferably it would have to be an entire team or at least a mix. It does not have to be premiere level imo.

Inb4: "Why don't you do it yourself?" -
I have non of the skills, experience or contacts that organizing and executing something like this requires. But I cannot express how fond I was of the times where I'd watch this in Starcraft - I, for one, would love to see this for NS2.

inb4&2: "What's different from this and just a FPV regular stream" -
The difference is you have a dedicated show-host who decides the handicaps and who keeps an eye on the chat and can buffer questions directly to the pros while they play without the distraction of looking at their chat. Moreover, the showhost can juggle the logistics of organizing the games and stuff to make everything run as smoothly as possible.

TLDR; Have pro/skilled players compete against random viewers on twitch live, with handicaps to fool around and have a ton of fun, while still displaying some of the amazing skill some of these players have.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea, I just see having problems finding people willing out of ~500 worldwide.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    @james888 - I thought of that as well, but there's only one way to find out. The main stream does tend to get 100+ viewers regularly iirc, so that should be enough to start some games at least. Organize the first few episodes with a bunch of competetive teams rather than one if you must.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You would just need to get the pug community involved. I doubt comp players want to play with handy caps though, which is another concern.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @james888 - I don't see why not. They do in Starcraft? By handicaps I don't mean the (imo shitty) handicap mod they implemented on some servers - I mean fun restrictions like "pistol only" or "battle gorge" or "One phasegate per room" and stuff like that.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Did you just say "battle gorge" and "restriction" in the same sentence? :P
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    I guess in a pub you can restrict pros to pistol or even a welder at times.. But overall there is nothing to learn from that or gain anything otherwise from watching that. If we are talking pure entertainment, then I might have some ideas. I know few players funnier than dragon and more serious than destiny. But, and I repeat, but, is there any real interest in "unfiltered" show, maybe combined with some PCWs/PUBing and some AMA game discussion?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I'd make it 6v10... pub players on the team of 10 lol
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Marines can't leave base or build anything for 4 minutes.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm fairly sure the greatest thing I have seen and am ever likely to see in NS2 was the rookie tournament.

Although a rookie tournament in which you have 5 brand new players on each team and one experienced commander would - imo - be jumping-the-shark-tier awesome.

• IRONF1STIRONF1ST Join Date: 2013-12-01 Member: 189671Members
    Welder Wednesday

You can easily troll servers with welders. Take 2 or 3 marines with just welders and pistols, have the comm spam meds and get armor upgrades and you have an unkillable deathball in the first few minutes of the game.
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The rookie tournament was awesome yeah. I also like the idea of having a team of 10 vs a team of 6 or lower. Sounds pretty fun. Right now however we are struggling to even get pugs going to test comp mod V3 mostly due to summer. The ideas are good though, keep em coming :P
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I agree, the idea could be excellent, especially in line with the new version of the CompMod.
    edited July 2014
    Vindaloo wrote: »
    I guess in a pub you can restrict pros to pistol or even a welder at times.. But overall there is nothing to learn from that or gain anything otherwise from watching that. If we are talking pure entertainment, then I might have some ideas. I know few players funnier than dragon and more serious than destiny. But, and I repeat, but, is there any real interest in "unfiltered" show, maybe combined with some PCWs/PUBing and some AMA game discussion?

It's not so much about educating people - it's an opportunity for pros to display raw skill, show the rookies exactly what is possible, demonstrate the skill gaps, brag, trash talk, and have fun with viewers, interacting with them. If anyone happens to learn something useful, that's great, but it's not supposed to be the focus of it. Otherwise, as you said, you might as well just watch a scrim or a pug.

Edit: Oh, and let me add this. Fun-day-monday with day9tv in starcraft, is a concept show where he specifically puts a bunch of restrictions on the players i.e. (queens only, must take a expansion every 3 minutes no matter what, etc.). Believe it or not, but that show has caused some major meta-game shifts in sc2 before, simply because you're forced to think differently about the game, and that leads to new discoveries that are useful in your standard games.

Before the 'Queen only' challenge, queens were primarily used for injects, you wouldn't typically make more than one per hatchery - but after the challenge, people would use them a lot for all kinds of things, like spreading creep and defense. So I definetely disagree; that there's nothing to learn- even from the pro players perspectives there are new aspects to learn, which can be discovered with handicaps.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would watch 10 pub heroes fight 6 premier players with great amusement.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Benson wrote: »
    Casters Make it So!

We could also try to rope in some youtube/twitch celebrities to push things out to a larger audience? A sort of celebrity showmatch hybrid with half comp, half celebs.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Calego wrote: »
    Casters Make it So!

We could also try to rope in some youtube/twitch celebrities to push things out to a larger audience? A sort of celebrity showmatch hybrid with half comp, half celebs.

If those celebs never played ns2 before you shouldn't let them face more than three comp players, though :D
    Calego wrote: »
    Casters Make it So!

I think that is more suitable for a long-term goal. First, try it out on a smaller scale to see if it even makes sense at all in this game.
    edited July 2014
    Would it be possible to get a PRO FPS team from CS, battlefield, or something like that? Then pitt them against some comp alien players just to see who would get destroyed.
    Marines would get destroyed.
    sharnrock wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get a PRO FPS team from CS, battlefield, or something like that? Then pitt them against some comp alien players just to see who would get destroyed.

How long would they have to practice in ns2?
    edited July 2014
    The 6v10 is my idea! Thieves!

It may actually have to be more than 10... joshhhy can own half of them himself lol.

I'd try it out before saying yay or nay. May need to adjust playercount ... but it could be funny and awesome.

Not comp aliens... pug or pub. Otherwise it'd look bad if the learning curve and strats seem waaay too difficult from 'pros' of other games to enjoy such an idea. We want more of them, not less.

Like I said, I'd mess around with it to see if any such thing could work before seriously suggesting it.
    I think it would look even worse if a bunch of elite players got wrecked by some pubbers. I just want to see what'll happen with a team full of people that can shoot, but don't know much about the game. Maybe the aliens will have some handicaps or rules on them.. idk.

I would say let them play for about a week. That would be long enough to get the basics of the game. Whether it gets people interested in the game is questionable, but I think it would be fun to watch.
    I think it would look even worse if a bunch of elite players got wrecked by some pubbers. I just want to see what'll happen with a team full of people that can shoot, but don't know much about the game. Maybe the aliens will have some handicaps or rules on them.. idk.

I would say let them play for about a week. That would be long enough to get the basics of the game. Whether it gets people interested in the game is questionable, but I think it would be fun to watch.

I have heard from ns2 pros that they lose their ability to shoot in ns2 if they go play CS for awhile, and vise versa.

Meh, this won't work. My idea included (with 'pro' gamers). You'd have to teach them the core of the game. Otherwise, the team may be able to shoot... but they will lose. And if they are given a lot of time to grasp the game, they may get some dedicated people to learn a lot. At that point, that person wouldn't be much of a new but 'pro' player, but more of a pub to pug quality ns2er that is a 'pro'.

Only real thing I see working would be in the combat version... but that would defeat most of the purpose of this...
    james888 wrote: »

I have heard from ns2 pros that they lose their ability to shoot in ns2 if they go play CS for awhile, and vise versa.

I'm no pro, but yea, the skillsets are very different, so you do have to re-adjust your aiming when you transition - however, I find that somewhere between one and three hours worth of drills and you're pretty much back in shape. The mistake is going in to public games and expect to get their aim back, that won't happen in my experience.

This is getting slightly OT compared to the OP.

But, if you want to do a showmatch like that, then lets instead make a weekly or bi-weekly show, where ns2 pros teach pros or celebs from other games, and then have a big showmatch as a conclusion.

It will keep the transfered players more invested in the game, compared to just leaving them to train on their own, and this way viewers will get to learn as well.
    edited July 2014
    I thought the idea was to do goofy stuff with NS2 competitive players? Did I misinterpret the OP? Anyways, I would support a show like any of the ideas in the thread.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited July 2014

I like the idea of having pro teams from other games. However, I think it would be more interesting to have 2 such teams and pit them against each other with a pro comm on each team (with some prep time).

Either have competitive teams from within the same game, or a team (or mixed group of comp players) from the same genre.

So you would have 2 CS teams go against each other one month, then 2 battlefield teams or whatever. Or for genres you could have allstar/team battles between COD and Battlefield, then DOTA vs LoL in the next month, then Smash Bros vs Street Fighter, then Quake vs Team Fortress, then Starcraft vs some other RTS game. Could even have battles between teams of popular streamers/lets-play/reviewers.

I think the biggest problem would be convincing the teams to bother with a game they've likely never played (and likely haven't even heard of). Although, maybe I'm just a pessimist.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    All I can think when I see this is Maptesters vs Playtesters circa 2013. lol

But the idea is fun. I know Wasabi and I are trying to get some twitch streaming events planned. I steam 4 weekdays a week and am always open to fun ideas as well. Like Virsoul's welder challenge, some of my viewers made me skulk an entire game without jumping at all. It's quite amusing.
  • BlobBlob Join Date: 2013-09-08 Member: 187999Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i think its a great idea. i would definitely watch this!