Mod download problems

tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
Been having issues the last few days trying to join servers with mods: the mod download % progress indicator sits at 0 and eventually times out.
Lots of threads exist describing this bug - seems to be some issue with steam being unable to connect to the workshop. Many of these threads suggest fixes (verify cache, remove user data for workshop/NS2, change connection settings, reinstall NS2 etc) and I have tried them *all*, but the only thing that has worked for me so far is when someone else sent me a zip of the missing mods to add to the Workshop folder so it didn't have to download during the join process.

If the root cause of this can't be addressed (seems like that's the case, reports of this same issue go back to 2012) then maybe some alternative means of manually downloading the mod files is necessary?

Or have I overlooked a golden bullet solution that everyone else is using?

FYI me and a few other players have been affected by this the last few days, not sure how prevalent it is outside Aus, or if it's even geography specific, but it seems to have started happening a lot more frequently.

Comments

• Hive Queen MelHive Queen Mel Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175317Members
    edited July 2014
    I've also been having issues with this. Keep getting Error 16 or Error 2 or lately no errors at all except "Queueing Download". On the Mod screen it just says "Downloading: 0%" then flickers to Unavailable for NS2Stats..

Subscribed to about 3 mods on the workshop to see if that was it, no dice.

Edit:

here is my log

Date: 07/05/14
    Time: 13:31:08:
    Build 266
    Windows 7 64-bit (build 7600)
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    Direct3D 9 initialized: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (9.18.13.3523)
    Sound Device: Speakers (G510 Gaming Keyboard) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone (G510 Gaming Keyboard)
    Error: Mod '' wasn't available
    Error: Mod '' wasn't available
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Queuing download of '[Shine] CrossSpawns'
    Queuing download of '[Shine] NS2Stats'
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 266
    Steam Id: 41862431
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
  • PutrefaxPutrefax Join Date: 2013-09-04 Member: 187774Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm getting same issue with Caged, seems like a workshop issue - if it is, then there isn't a lot we can do about it unless people are willing to send each other zip files of things :/

If someone can give me the zip file of caged that'd be awesome btw :P
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Putrefax wrote: »
    I'm getting same issue with Caged, seems like a workshop issue - if it is, then there isn't a lot we can do about it unless people are willing to send each other zip files of things :/

If someone can give me the zip file of caged that'd be awesome btw :P

That wouldn't even help much as the client would still refuse to mount the mod due to the workshop timeout.
  • Hive Queen MelHive Queen Mel Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175317Members
    My friend send me zipped up files of the mods and they're working fine now. He just has to send them to me every single time a new mod comes in.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    My friend send me zipped up files of the mods and they're working fine now. He just has to send them to me every single time a new mod comes in.

Ok you can download every workshop mod yourself via this without steam:
    1) Locate the page of the mod on Steam Workshop
    2) Copy the URL of the mod from your browser ( should look similar to this one here for Pregame++: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=270185046)
    3) Go to this website: http://gaddons.org/workshop
    4) Paste the URL you copied into the text box (above the "Download" button)
    5) Click at the "Download" button
    6) When it's ready, click at the "Start Download" link.
    7) Locate the downloaded file, and add a ".zip" extension to it (it will typically just be a random-looking filename with no extension at all).
    8) Now get the hex ( google "<id> to hex" take then the 0x away) of the modid and create a folder %appdata%/Workshop like this m<modid> ( for Pregame++: "270185046 to hex" = 0x101AB256, so the foldername is m101ab256)
    9) Now unzip the downloaded files into that folder.
    edited July 2014
    Ok as some ppl seem to have issues downloading from the steam workshop i decided to mirror my workshop folder.

Link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_AoHvDBSRoDUmljanNNY0k4cjQ

1. Find the mod you would like to download (folders are name m<modid>_<versonid>, so for this Crosspawns it would be md2577d0 _.... )
    2. Press Win + R and type in %Appdata%/Natural Selection 2/Workshop
    3. Copy the downloaded folder into the with step 2 opened folder.

If any major mod is missing pm me and i'll add it
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Awesome GhoulofGSG9, this will come in handy!
  • feddundasfeddundas BNE, Australia Join Date: 2014-07-07 Member: 197281Members
    It gets a bit tedious. Sometimes there's also an "Active" issue where it needs a weird refresh, so one opens C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXX\YYY\remote\options.xml then in, say, Notepad, cursor the text from the top so ctrl+f works, ctrl+f for "active", then make sure it says <mods><active_mods></active_mods></mods>. This is when you're loading the correct mods for the server (in one case for me, about 8 mods), and its not working well.

I just bought+installed NS2 and have had issues over the last couple of days (deleting Workshops, subscribing, unsubscribing, etc).

I noticed I had to load up the game -> mods and enable the right amount of mods for the given server I'm about to join. So, say, I'm Aussie. UAE Official Singapore--declicking all the active mods and clicking restart.

The whole idea seems asinine. Why is it like this? And I find I'm using [App] NS2 Standalone Server Browser to memorize IP addresses to "connect X.X.X.X:YYYYYY" partly because UW hasn't put copy+paste into console.
  • feddundasfeddundas BNE, Australia Join Date: 2014-07-07 Member: 197281Members
    I just wanna add that some of the server browsing was a network issue as I had a new PC as well and every 5 sec latency to my home router would spike from 1ms to 800ms. This was fixed by replacing a 'nub' USB WIFI card with a PCI-E one I went out and bought and screwed to a yagi directional antenna I've always had (them other default plastic antenae would also be lightyears ahead of the tiny USB WIFI card inbuilt antennas. i.e., http://images.dipol.com.pl/pict/n3222+++++++.jpg
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Definitely seeing downloading mod errors lately.. not much we can do from this end though if workshop is actually failing.