Alien minimap

PetziPetzi Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71171Members
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi, after pre-ordering the game way back, I occasionally try to actually play it and there's one huge obstacle to me as a new player, which is the lack of a minimap for aliens. The maps in NS2 are mazes of corridors and vents, and since the aliens move really fast, you need to be able to tell where you're supposed to go at a glance.

As an alien, I never know where I need to go. If I try getting somewhere, I mostly just get lost and to get to where the action is I have to keep a button pressed and blind myself. On top of that, sometimes I have to spend 2 seconds trying to locate myself on the map because the icon for my character is the same color as the friendly buildings.

In short, aliens should have a minimap. I understand that this doesn't make sense to veterans, but realize that the maps are really confusing before you've learned them. I personally don't mind a learning curve, but this is something that really frustrates me, so it's easy to imagine that someone with less patience would stop playing entirely.

Btw, don't go telling me aliens have a more "organic" view, because there's nothing organic about having a map covering my entire screen whenever I want to move around. And the problem has nothing to do about locating enemies. Also, very important: I'm not sure about whether the map I'm suggesting should be like the marines' or actually show the entire map. The latter is probably the better option.

Opinions?

Comments

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would second that, it gets to a point where you simply don't need the map other than checking if an RT or Techpoint is under attack.

I used to go on empty servers and run around the maps for hours as a lerk or skulk to find the nice spots (was nice when gorge tunnels could be built in vents). :P
  • PetziPetzi Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71171Members
    Thing is, I'm sure you've both played quite a few matches. To a new player like me, I'm convinced that this is a real obstacle in learning the game.

I used to play Savage 2 a lot, which is a game with a similar concept to NS2. In Savage, you always have a visible minimap, so you can instantly know where your team is attacking or being attacked and you never get lost. Even if you're a newbie, you always have some perception of what's going on. NS2 is lacking that a lot. Didn't the devs want to smoothen the learning curve?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    When we know very well all the maps, it's really not needed, that's right. In Marines, looks different because you have to play with your teammates all the time, teamplay. And that's necessary if you want to know where Aliens are hidden and sometimes, you see them on the minimap but it's harder to perceive them on your screen/HUD. In Aliens, you have to use the whole map, knowing positions to jump on your ennemies, take a quick overview of the entire map is enough in my opinion because you don't need to see Marines in your minimap, you have to know where they are, you are the side that attacks Marines in general. And yeah, in Aliens, you need a clearer and more simple HUD I think.

That can be understood as well to not copy-paste both sides, with same HUD for Aliens & Marines. But anyway, thanks to NS2+ that is installed on so many servers, you can change things like this, not sure about the Aliens minimap though.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    using the full-size map is incredibly important, and you should spend about half your time with the full map open on both marines and aliens. i like the minimap on marines because i sometimes catch hidden aliens on the minimap before i see them in game, but a lot of veterans turn it off entirely.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    In the downtime waiting on spawn queue have the map open and be announcing things on voice comm. Mentioning RTs under attack, enemies in rooms(I see 4 aliens or marines in Platform hive right now). Takes the burden off those ingame from announcing it, or even mentioning it wrong. Seen a few players call out x number of enemies in a room when it is actually 2-3x that on the minimap but they just mention the ones they can see.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I know what OP it trying to say, when I just started, I was so damn confused with these mazes, I could have played that map a few times already, but I was still going wrong ways so many times. If I needed to go somewhere, I'd run to first intersection, then just stand there and open map to see where I am and where should I turn. And navigating vents that have forking paths was a nightmare.

OP is speaking about greens, not about importance of having full map on all the time, with exception of combat.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I dont see any problem with having a minature version of the full map as a toggle option for both marines and aliens.

I would go so far as to say the minimap that marines get should also be available to aliens as a toggle between full map, local map, and no map.

Isnt turning the minimap for marines off already an option in NS2+? I couldn't see it being too much work to give the aliens a similar minimap complete w/ options for a full map or no map.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    xen32 wrote: »
    I know what OP it trying to say, when I just started, I was so damn confused with these mazes, I could have played that map a few times already, but I was still going wrong ways so many times. If I needed to go somewhere, I'd run to first intersection, then just stand there and open map to see where I am and where should I turn. And navigating vents that have forking paths was a nightmare.

OP is speaking about greens, not about importance of having full map on all the time, with exception of combat.

During the first hours I used to just jump through a PG and look where it got me. It was usually a whole new world. I would stick to it and it's surrounding rooms for the rest of the match, because I knew my way around that little part of the map there :D
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    it should be an option. Minimap HUD for new players to learn the map. then once you know it you can just rely on the map popup.

I often am running around with the giant map overlay trying to navigate the map.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    it should be an option. Minimap HUD for new players to learn the map. then once you know it you can just rely on the map popup.

I often am running around with the giant map overlay trying to navigate the map.

600+ hrs, and I still do this, because each Kharaa life form plays so differnt and have a different perspective on the map (skulk on walls, gorge ground, lerks air, fade are bloody everywhere, onos ground). So the early-mid life forms see the map very differently. A mini map for Kharaa like the marine mini map is less useful as it just doesn't show enough of a room. With alien mobility, the larger mini map is more useful (default key "c").
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    I agree. I'm not sure why aliens didn't get a minimap. I think it's the immersion factor or something... Why not have it on a toggle?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see no reason for it not to be an option (aside from dev time). It is useful to new players. However I don't even use the minimap as a marine at all, since I'm trained to always be pulling up the full map to watch the rest of the map as well.
    As a marine I'll use it the same way I use my car mirrors. I'll glance at it from time to time just to see if any aliens pop up on the observatory before I shift lanes.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    The sides are asymmetrical. The aliens have hive sight which allows them to see nearby friendlies through walls. They don't need a minimap.

If you're new and getting lost, I recommend downloading a transparent map via the workshop and finding a buddy to follow around :) you'll learn the maps soon enough
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    You have to look at it as @Decoy said, besides the aliens are animals and wouldn't have maps like the tech savvy marines.
    edited July 2014
    *Snip* This is not an imageboard. Please use spoiler tags if you wish to post a non inciting / funny picture. Thank you -Ironhorse
    Follow-the-Smell.jpg

What if the smell of the marines just kinda lured the aliens around the map like in old cartoons? mmm... delicious, delicious marine.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    So...what I'm getting is is that new players don't need a minimap for aliens because:

a) L2P, you'll get it in time.

b) Immersion; aliens don't have a fancy visor with a minimap like the marines do.

c) Aliens can see their allies through walls, and therefore don't need a map (wut?)

Where as new players could use a minimap because:

a1) Maps are confusing and take time to learn (ease the learning curve)

a2) New players could easily see what areas are under attack (i.e. move toward the flashing red areas).

b) Ease of access and gameplay should be a priority over immersion

c) BOTH teams can see through walls using the "c" map, so not having a minimap is kind of a formality.

d) If it were a toggle between full map, local area, or no map, there is literally an option for everyone (vets don't like UI of any kind)

I honestly can't see a viable reason** not to have an option for all players on all teams for what type of minimap they want to use. (none, local area, full map)

**aside from the time it would take to implement
    So an alien mini map that comes on when Rookie mode is engaged as an aid?

MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    So an alien mini map that comes on when Rookie mode is engaged as an aid?

or even better. an option for all players at all skill levels.

I would want a mini version of the full "c" map in the corner so I can see where the action is at a glance.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    About the getting lost part, i've asked more than once for an option to have the map turn to what direction i'm facing. So sad that noone ever made a mod for that.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The maps in NS2 are kinda weird in any case, I remember running into the west wall of elevator transfer while navigating using the minimap many times as a rookie :P was that just me?
    The maps in NS2 are kinda weird in any case, I remember running into the west wall of elevator transfer while navigating using the minimap many times as a rookie :P was that just me?

Ya, I can't tell you how many times I've tried running through walls because it seemed there was a hallway and not a wall on the map.

I still get fooled on eclipse on one of the south tech points.
    Kodiak still has scratching my head in some of the vents :(|)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yeah that vent from command to hydro doesnt get enough use @__@
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ya, I can't tell you how many times I've tried running through walls because it seemed there was a hallway and not a wall on the map.
    Hydroponics to Receiving in Descent, I still fall for that one :)
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Personally, I found the NS1 Hive Mind interface better. The only reason to pop up the minimap was to orient yourself on new maps - you never needed to have it open to see the strategic or tactical situation, because anything visible on the minimap was also marked up on the HUD with various kinds of blips.

I dislike having to run around with a big fat Maximap up just so I can figure out where the action is.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    edited July 2014
    So many people adamant that the correct way to play is the current in game set up. The way I see it, there are two possible senarios:

1. having a minimap on aliens becomes the optimal way to play for most aliens. Some people still dont like it, and keep it disabled.
    2. The current setup reveals itself as the optimal way to play, so veterans will mostly continue using no minimap. However rookies still find it very useful, so there is still a reason to implement it.

Either way, who cares? Some people want it on, some people want it off. Just give us the option. I dont think it would take a lot of time to create, and a lot of people would enjoy it.