Bully Rookies -- Summer Sale Aftermath 4 CDT of NS2

ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
edited July 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi , im recently switch from Counter Strike GO and im see this game quite interresting , alot to learn , require skill and not "Mouse Click get Kill-streak" :))

But when im playing and start to get used to what new players call >>>> "Rookies Bully or Stomping"
Players count that im checking from SteamChartNS2 >> down from Sale (1450) to after right now is 357 players when im posting this

Dear CDT , Its Super Effective your videos help me alot when get into this game as a brand new player :D

But THIS is why i think New players getting Fruitstrating >> and quiting while being bully , Those players think they are "pro" ....
16494EE61D665CCF73C803E4A065FE8D0A36F141

Hope my request that making build 257 and future update more fun for casual players , new players >> Match making Mode like CounterStrike:Global Offensive
mm.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpAkWAGyg-jkW-avhJLWE7Czp69F5GoSJWnCAn3_MnkS2ENibgoQ

Extra : For those comments say im a new players and allways Join Marine because Call of Duty That Click Mouse get Killstreak , im playing aliens too and practice BOTH side
Just try to say that game need Match making:D
47CAFCAD0C46429CB22D1B201F2A2D95C64F7BAF

Players that Stacking and excuse in my topic is " Newbie allways play Marine , so we have to stack ?"
6CB286412D5409889CCE4C7A8C4B0D7A2AC4EF90

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Because somehow all the rookies piling onto marines is our fault...

To date I have only ever seen 2-3 rookies switch over to aliens when this happens.
    edited July 2014
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    Players count that im checking from SteamChartNS2 >> down from Sale (1450) to after right now is 357 players when im posting this

Playercount has highs and lows every day. Right now, it's nighttime in Australasia instead of nighttime in America so there are naturally less people playing. You're measuring a high against a low. For a proper comparison, there were 1900 players on the high point first day of sale. The low point of that first day was 800 players (before shooting back up the next day). So it's really 800 down to 357. Or 1900 down to 950.

Also, regarding your matchmaking suggestion: there simply isn't enough players to sustain it at the moment, and likely never will be anymore. So the ship has sailed in including such a feature (although there probably never was enough for it to really work that well).

I personally would like to at least see rookie-only servers during sales when these servers could be sustained, but I think the ship has sailed on that too, as there have been less and less sales recently that produced massive green waves (like we previously saw in the content patches and earlier sales when the game was still relatively fresh).
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Most people leave because they get their ass kicked all day long, thats true. But that ass kicking would have happened anyways, due to the steep learning curve and players being used to soft, beginner friendly, no-brain shooters like COD. Most of the people that leave are just casual players wanting to have a little fun shooting aliens. They all join marines every time because alien game mechanics confuse them. They are used to the spray and pray mechanics of COD or CSGO and get confused by tracking fast moving objects.

I would argue that the community is ultimately better of without them, because most of them mistake NS2 for a single player shooter (or even a single player rts as this reddit post shows). They don't communicate, they are unwilling to learn and they ruin every game they join because of lack of teamwork. Also, the stacking problem evident on the screenshot you posted is not only the veteran players fault (not saying they are innocent at all, there is always another way), but as d0pedD0g said often the rookies themselves create the stack by all joining marines every single round.

Please don't get me wrong, I do welcome new players who are willing to communicate and learn. Unfortunately, that's a small minority. I run a rookie-friendly server and during sales often try to even the teams by forcing random, asking people to switch sides, commanding and generally talking to greens and teaching them the game. However, in my experience only 5-10% of them are even receptive of these measures, the rest just ignores me, mutes my voice chat and goes about their business of running around clueless alone and dying all day.

So congratulations, by posting on this forum you have proven to be at least interested in communication, you are the 5% ;). Don't let the sale experience drive you away, after the wave of mute idiots has passed games slowly return to normal, people are less stressed and more friendly towards rookies and teams don't get force stacked by a horde of green that jump around the marine part of the ready room.

You have to understand that under these circumstances even patient or usually fair players sometimes loose their cool and just join the better team because they can't bear it anymore. After being asked to leave my own server because I was "stomping" (I was doing 20/5 which is hardly stomping, but can you blame me for trying to play a game I bought on my own server?) by some freshly non green rookies, I stopped playing pub for the duration of the sale because it was becoming just too annoying.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Try using the gather system. Oh, wait...

Team stacking is a constant complaint that comes up with NS2, it's nothing new. It's just magnified when the sales happen.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most modern shooters reward players with unlocks, bigger better guns etc like Battle-Fields.

NS2 rewards you with knowledge. The best place to hide to ambush as skulk, silent strikes as a fade or lerk. Best positioning to shoot stuff as a marine etc. I play lots of other games but NS2 still offers me a sense of team work. Playing with the same core players helps I guess. <3 Yo Regs <3
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    A new skill-based-balance-system is being developed right now, hopefully it will be done for 267.
    However, afaik this system is for balancing the teams using a "force even teams"-vote so it will only be useful for rookies that are fine with trying out the alien side.
    But I can relate why people start with the marine side: it's obviously more familiar in terms of gameplay and setting/feel.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Tee hee, all I wanted to do when I started off in NS2 was play aliens (lerk, actually). It taught me invaluable lessons that helped a lot when i did start going marine.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    ZeroEarTh wrote: »
    Hope my request that making build 257 and future update more fun for casual players , new players >> Match making Mode like CounterStrike:Global Offensive

Nobody here cares about such dumb concepts like "fun", "casual players", "size of playerbase" or "public gameplay", what matters is ice-cold competitive balance with as little variation and randomness as possible (bad for balance m'kay?). Pub scrubs do only exist so comp players can slaughter them with stacked teams, as an warm up before a scrim.

Why? Because NS2 will be the next Halo/Starcraft/LoL! Yes, yes! Nobody needs an "casual player base" when you have the same couple of dozen people duking it out in the same hand full of tournaments, ain't that fun for everybody?

While we are at it: When is UWE finally gonna remove those scrub crutches Xenocide and Exo's? These things require no skill and/or are never used in a competitive setting, why leave them in the game at all?

Joke aside.. your hearth is in the right place, but be prepared to get torn apart for that opinion of yours.
    d0ped0g wrote: »

It's the fault of the games design, there are no easy ways to get started in the game because it lacks any non-competitive "messing around modes", no explore mode does not count because it does not really allow for experimentation. No amount of HowTo videos on YouTube can make up for the lack of experience trough experimentation.

New players can't experiment and even if they try, they get mobbed out of the game because they are playing the game "the wrong way".

It's all kind of tragic.. what prevented NS1 from becoming super mainstream had been it's steep learning curve, NS2 could have been a chance to make up on that, but we wouldn't have that because the oh so important "competitive balance" prevented any changes that would have made the game more approachable and fun for non-competitive players.

A good game is "Easy to learn but hard to master", making a game "Hard to learn and even harder to master" is not a concept that's appealing to a mainstream audience, which used to be the original target demographic for NS2.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    rookies often stack one team. Usually marines, but ive seen rookies stack alien.

Its amazing how well they are at rookie stacking. When asking rookies to swap sides, you may get lucky 1 every 4 to 5 rounds.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rookies stack alien after they lose their first round as marines v.v
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    imo though playing an alien once you have grasped the basic movement of a skulk is easier than playing a marine
    rebirth wrote: »

It's the fault of the games design, there are no easy ways to get started in the game because it lacks any non-competitive "messing around modes", no explore mode does not count because it does not really allow for experimentation. No amount of HowTo videos on YouTube can make up for the lack of experience trough experimentation.

New players can't experiment and even if they try, they get mobbed out of the game because they are playing the game "the wrong way".

It's all kind of tragic.. what prevented NS1 from becoming super mainstream had been it's steep learning curve, NS2 could have been a chance to make up on that, but we wouldn't have that because the oh so important "competitive balance" prevented any changes that would have made the game more approachable and fun for non-competitive players.

A good game is "Easy to learn but hard to master", making a game "Hard to learn and even harder to master" is not a concept that's appealing to a mainstream audience, which used to be the original target demographic for NS2.

I sympathise that the learning curve is large, so rookies will naturally flock to marines, being the team they are most familiar with and can see more immediate rewards from (if you can aim and hit things, you can at least get some kills even in your first game, whereas it's a lot more difficult as the unfamiliar aliens). This gives them the sense that they aren't jumping right into the deep end and yes, gives them more room to breathe/experiment.

That's perfectly understandable. However, as long as they're stacked on one side, against a team comprised almost entirely of regulars, they are not just in the deep end - they are in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by sharks. I can't imagine they are any more able to experiment in this environment than they are in an even game on the less familiar aliens team.

I often try and explain to them that teams are imbalanced, and the only way to avoid the absolute certainty that they're going to get completely demolished (something that's not fun for either side) is if they switch teams. I tell them to hold tab and see the skill imbalance for themselves - pointing out the disproportionate number of green rookies between teams. Yet, in spite of the fact that all of this is explained to them, people swapping rarely happens. And often it's even just as difficult to get a force even teams vote happening, and sometimes even results in a rookie player swapping back to marines (if there's a slot available), f4ing, or leaving the server.

I still sympathise that they're getting stomped. But I get miffed when people like OP accuse players of rookie-bullying, and post a screenshot of a clear rookie-stack as "proof". There's absolutely nothing these so-called "bullies" could have done to stop this from happening.

Tbh. All rookie players should be required to complete a skulk time trial before they can even join a server. The time-to-beat should be low enough to require the use of at least a few walljumps. This would hopefully mitigate the phenomenon of "floor-skulking" and also teach them a bit of alien movement before having to go up against other players (hopefully in turn reducing the number of marine-stacks by mitigating the feeling that they're being thrown into the deep end). An optional fade time-trial that you can do after you complete the skulk one would also help those who otherwise don't know how to use blink+jump. I understand that the lack of interactive tutorials is due to lack of resources to put into development, but surely something like this is within arms reach to develop.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Rookies stack alien after they lose their first round as marines v.v

Agreed. When I can jump on to play, it is good to see rookies on a server (fresh blood is always good). But the problem is I type like mad in chat to tell them to split up in teams and not stack one team, so vets can teach them the game, and also to encourage them to ask questions. Usually, i am met with silence. The few times I got good responses was when I could take on a rookie one on one (server hasn't filled), so it was 3v3. Then when I encountered the rookie, I can give him advice (I was marine):

me: /killed him when he was a ground skulk coming right for me
    "x, as a skulk, you shouldn't be on the ground, its easy target for me" try walking on walls and ceilings to confuse me"
    me: /killed him again (he was wall walking this time
    "x, try to use cover more, if you use "2" to parasite me, you get to wall hack for about 30 seconds, then you can ambush instead of rushing, you can also walk (shift) to move silently.
    me: F#$% got parasited, and killed by x (I suck at aiming btw)
    "nice work, you are getting it".

At this point he actually wrote back and thanked me for the advice. Mind you, all this time he did not respond when I gave advice, but did follow through with it. Moral of story, its hard to teach in a pub setting with high player counts because it is too chaotic. I have no real solution to this, except may be if UWE can have some rookie ONLY official servers with vets signing up to do the teaching - so only the signed on vets can join unless you are a rookie. I know there is a mentor program, but all of this is driven by us the community. It would be nice if UWE could put a word in (may be advertise it during the install loading screen?).
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    driest wrote: »
    ...spray and pray mechanics of... CSGO

I would argue that the community is ultimately better of without them, because most of them mistake NS2 for a single player shooter (or even a single player rts as this reddit post shows). They don't communicate, they are unwilling to learn and they ruin every game they join because of lack of teamwork.

lol

CS:GO actually has a lot of crossover with Marines imo. Same playercount on the field, communication and teamwork is mandatory, you have to aim at small targets that certainly aren't as fast as a skulk but require similar reaction time since your target is shooting back at you now.

and it's definitely not a game about spray and pray..
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Dat resolution...

Its a good thing this game has dat optimisation so we dont have to use dat resolution.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Steam sales really do put a wench into my regular play. I welcome any new players trying out the game who are willing to learn but for the most part, most players are apathetic and casual shooter players. In every sale of the past year, I've had serious trouble finding a server with a good ping that isn't infested with rookies, I even see rookies joining white AND servers that ask for 150hrs+, maybe thats down to the useless quick match option?

I hate playing against rookies, I get remorse when I'm farming a rookie team so much so that I try to avoid it at all costs now. I don't mind helping rookies but after the 1000th time, I just want to play a good team based game with communication and people that know what to do.

To the OP: matchmaking wouldn't work. Game is too low of a population to support that feature.

@ritualsacrifice I think he means at the lower end of the skill spectrum, players don't tend to line headshots but rather spray erratically.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    These debates have been ongoing for years. I don't think there is any real fix, only maybe if the game was in the state it is in now with added official combat mode that worked from the start would we have seen ns2 retain a bigger player base.
    It's asking a lot for a new player to play classic ns, I played combat on ns1 for years before I was any good at ns maps.
    Also I fear that the standalone combat game is taking too long and won't be nearly as successful as it could have been due to the tens of thousands of people who liked the look of ns2, bought it, got frustrated and haven't picked it up since. They will most likely overlook combat as dlc for a game they didn't like.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ZeroEarTh‌ Cheers man thank you for your support and welcome to the NS2 Forums!

The internet contains all sorts of people, as does the community. I've been fortunate enough to play with plenty of NS2 players will take the time to balance the teams, or at the very least not participate in a unbalanced game (I get the frustration that comes with trying to carry a rookie team to victory).

But yes, I've also ran into some surprising players and admins who should know better and only hurt the player retention.

I'd like to take a moment to commend those who exercise patience and understanding with the new batch of rookies by answering questions, coaching or at least helping them understand the reasons why things didn't work out.

But not only that, to recognize the people of the amount of tolerance and true strength it takes to set aside one's goals and go out if their way if it means that a rookie can get a few more minutes of explanation.
  • ZeroEarThZeroEarTh Singapore Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197126Members
    Thanks SuperEffective , but i know any game have stack , but in NS2 usually new players got stomped

On my picture , im not a players who not listen for team , im join that Green team and see how can i help them anti-stack
    47CAFCAD0C46429CB22D1B201F2A2D95C64F7BAF

Its seem after Many Stack game that im trying to defend the Rookies >> Those stacker have quit , and they are not Nice people on Internet when keep braging about "Badges" and "Pro"
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are players out there who get angry when people play bad. They yell at me too and I have 1250+ hours. Then there are others like supereffective who really go out of there way to help new people. Then there are those like me who help when they can. I am really happy when I can help a new person as I hope they stick with the game. I get annoyed but keep it to myself when new people just ignore free advice, or even tell me I am wrong.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014

I have seen that happen, but when it does its still very rare that you couldnt join marines and help them, thats just a bad excuse(most of the time). Over 90% of the time i was the only one with maybe 1 regular + the rookies against the alien stack. How can i join marines and help if no one else cant? If it really happens shuffle/randomize?

On low skill servers most games are won by aliens and people like to stack aliens, especially when there are a lot of rookies around(playing marines with bad com can be annoying, no meds no ammo etc.)

On high skill servers(when there are good players around) most games are won by marines and people like to stack marines. You will never get completely rid of stacking without matchmaking that works(which will most likely never happen, its not easy to make). Some people just want give themself an edge by beign on the team more likely to win.

Right now when you see an obvious stack the best option is to shuffle/randomize teams... and vote yes.

• radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    [snip]Tbh. All rookie players should be required to complete a skulk time trial before they can even join a server. The time-to-beat should be low enough to require the use of at least a few walljumps. This would hopefully mitigate the phenomenon of "floor-skulking" and also teach them a bit of alien movement before having to go up against other players (hopefully in turn reducing the number of marine-stacks by mitigating the feeling that they're being thrown into the deep end). An optional fade time-trial that you can do after you complete the skulk one would also help those who otherwise don't know how to use blink+jump. I understand that the lack of interactive tutorials is due to lack of resources to put into development, but surely something like this is within arms reach to develop.
    this is actually an interesting idea worth exploring.
    Something I was going to add to that: a simple medpacking tutorial that you have to complete before commanding an actual game, the goal of which would be to drill the sequence "SPACE then E then S" into their brains early.

You would have skulk+marine pairs all around the map (maybe with macs to weld the marines). Have scripted events happen such that a skulk will bite it's marine, then another one will bite it's marine on the other side of the map, then another may bite it's marine twice. Maybe even have 2 pairs in one room biting at the same time. Basically, have the requests become more urgent and frequent as time passes (i.e. slowly increase the difficulty of juggling medpack requests over time). If by the time is up, you successfully med your marines such that no more than 1 of them dies, then you complete the tutorial and can then command real games. The tutorial wouldn't be too difficult, but just hard enough to require the use of hotkeys to med.

Perhaps the requirement to have completed this tutorial shouldn't exist on rookie-friendly and rookie-only servers, or if the vast majority of players on a server/team hasn't completed this tutorial.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I think that might just result in wasted res b/c then your going to have them giving meds to every person who calls for them and most people who call for them will only hurt the team by having them.

I commanded a game a few days ago where all the meds came from mostly 3 people and they were always in a location I explicitly said not to go to. Guess if they got meds or not. In the mean time players who went where I wanted them to got meds and amo before they could make a request.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited July 2014
    That screenshot would be a lot more convincing if Marines weren't winning.

Plus, Zero, you have 5 kills one assist, Colonel has 2 kills 5 assists, indicating the two of you are working together in a fashion the rest of your team isn't, they might appreciate some of your previous FPS knowledge you display :)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Everyone rages in one way or another; be it to his team or some random person. Shit, higher-ups will do it in a game as long as it's passive aggresive. It's the internetz. But things look better. Hopefully with CDT and a patch or two from the community ns2 team, newer deals will continue to bring intelligent new guys (like the last deal or two).
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Wow, anyone who joins aliens on a small population server when teams have even numbers is not good for the game.

PLz go back into retirement.