Learn how to lose

sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
I keep running into games where we are losing and people just don't seem to know how to lose. I'm not trying to start a discussion about conceding or mass F4. I'm talking about people that can't take losing in this game.

It usually starts with a comm or a player that thinks they're better than maybe they actually are. They get killed or the team starts to lose and they just start whining over the mic about how everyone else is losing the game for them (telling the team they suck ect...). Then the people getting bashed get defensive, nobody is having fun, and everyone is pissed off.

You're going to lose this game roughly 50% of the time. Believe it or not, sometimes the other team can just play better. If you can't handle that, stick to single player games.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    sharnrock wrote: »
    It usually starts with a comm or a player that thinks they're better than maybe they actually are. They get killed or the team starts to lose and they just start whining over the mic about how everyone else is losing the game for them (telling the team they suck ect...). Then the people getting bashed get defensive, nobody is having fun, and everyone is pissed off.

Don't play with those losers. Find a server with a better community.

I will take this moment to shamelessly plug Tactical Gamer. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    with my sarcastic take on life I always win... And that wasn't sarcasm... Or was it :-?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wait, i didnt get to go onos this time?!! Awwwww man!!
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I LOST MY ONOS CUZ STUPID GORGES DIDNT HEAL ME
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got blamed for losing today while khamming. We go trapped in base in the first minute. What could I do.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I've played there before. A+ server and admins. Which is why it's almost always full too :)

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

I've played there before. A+ server and admins. Which is why it's almost always full too :)

We've got two whole servers, but one fills up and, "welp, guess I can't play there".
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    On the other hand, it's a total waste of time to play games that the weaker side has no chance of winning anymore. Experienced players usually recognize it pretty quickly (no map control, stuck on 3 res points most of the time, aliens losing their higher lifeforms quickly), and will try to vote concede the game. The problems are newbies with their "positive" attitude - "Come on, we can do it, despite the fact I just suicided a second onos and my score is 3 - 17" No, you can't do it, you just don't realize it. Listen to your more experienced players, resign the game that has no purpose anymore, and get on with a new round that can actually mean winning chances for both sides.

A general principle in any game - you can't force the losing side to play a game they don't feel they have a chance to win. You should play to win, always. If you cannot win, there is no sense in playing on (other than training, of course).

there are like three different things wrong with this post. first, the topic was really specifically about players taking on a negative attitude when losing. also, comebacks can and do happen, and if you actually have experienced players they can show you how effective a last minute base rush can be. if an "experienced player" wants to concede when you're on 3 nodes then he's either not that "experienced" or he's not actually interested in winning, he just wants to rack up some kills. there are very few no-win scenarios in ns2, especially if you're playing on like a 24 man server, and if there are then they usually only come about in the last minute or so of the game. if your team can't figure out how to go for a win then your team isn't honestly thinking about winning. the real problem that people have is that their team is too disorganized to get a plan off the ground.

We've got two whole servers, but one fills up and, "welp, guess I can't play there".

I do play there! I play under the name Turkey. It's just hard to get on because it's a popular spot. I have both taunt and chuckle on favs and a prime thing.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I do play there! I play under the name Turkey. It's just hard to get on because it's a popular spot. I have both taunt and chuckle on favs and a prime thing.
    A little tip, if you sign the primer you get to join even if full and spectate. If someone leaves while your spectating, you can join in really quick.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow

NA :| nope
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I keep running into games where we are losing and people just don't seem to know how to lose. I'm not trying to start a discussion about conceding or mass F4. I'm talking about people that can't take losing in this game.

You're going to lose this game roughly 50% of the time. Believe it or not, sometimes the other team can just play better. If you can't handle that, stick to single player games.

50 percent if its not a green week. In which case a good player can swing a lot of games. Also, sometimes it is the teams fault. If you get no support from the comm and they don't have a build order, sometimes it really is their fault. Sometimes you just think "why'd you jump in the chair if you have no idea what you're doing?".
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

This a thread for plugins then?

Join us at TAW.net. Best losers EU. Give me a message or add me on steam. :D
    amoral wrote: »

50 percent if its not a green week. In which case a good player can swing a lot of games. Also, sometimes it is the teams fault. If you get no support from the comm and they don't have a build order, sometimes it really is their fault. Sometimes you just think "why'd you jump in the chair if you have no idea what you're doing?".

That's true, and that's not exactly the point I was trying to make. It was more about how people handle being on a bad team.

The other day I played a game where teams were stacked against us. The comm gets on the mic and starts talking about how much we sucked. Once the game was over, he starts talking to all the marines in the ready room about what a joke his team was. We were a bad team (and I thought the comm was less than good seeing as he didn't put down the first spur until the 4 minute mark), but it was pretty irritating to hear about it too afterward. This seems to happen in a lot of games.

All I'm saying is you can lose without being rude. Scramble the teams next round. Try to have fun even if you don't get to slaughter the other team because it's going to happen roughly half the time.

Although when someone jumps in the chair without any clue as to what to do, that's a whole other story. If it's not a green server and you don't have any experience in the game, you end up wasting everyone's time in the server. Of course you should eject them and kindly explain to them why they don't need to be in the chair.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hate=Negative Reactions Squared

At maximum negativity, you reach a point where you simply can't react any angrier without turning green. Why not just have fun and joke around instead of adding more hate to hate... Ah c'est la anonymat sur internet, c'est la vie ;))
    I have when annoyed enough called some negative nancy's out. I ask rhetorically why are they being so negative, and proceed to tell them the effect it has on the team. The effect is either none at all or he is actually making us play worse.

There is a time and a place for negative reinforcement. Gaming is not it. Gaming is for fun.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Ejecting the com is very much a deploy parachute at 10 feet from the ground tactic, other than that, good! People don't want to lose, passion is good in a game.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I tend to get hot tempered when games lose because of blatant lack of teamwork and imbalanced skilled teams, I can somewhat tolerate people who do poorly but I can't tolerate people that do not care for teamwork unless they're a rookie. I do actually enjoy losing a game that is hard fought on both sides and could really go either way.

Just played a 30min game, trading bases and hives, lifeforms and jetpacks dying everywhere, both teams slugging it out. I lost my res sink stupidly a few times but I still pull off some good plays and kill quite a few fades and lerks. We take out a hive just before they get Xeno up but a good timed base rush on the aliens ends the game in seconds. Good game despite what some might think is a misplay on the marine commander not beaconing in time, I get frustrated but I recognise that the aliens played well and congratulate them for it and don't flame the commander since I also know, he did well. A few times in that game I saw people that were experienced pub players from my PoV trying to concede as soon as we lost a base, that really does screw things up for everyone because unless you're pinned in with inferior tech, res and map control, you can make a comeback and we did, the game could have easily gone in our favor had we beaconed back in time.

Those types of games are awesome. I often play 4v4 on SC2, sometimes I get into a crazy macro game where it could go either way yet I end up losing, still I "gg wp" as I leave but I really enjoy playing games like that.

Players that start blaming/raging other players do disgust me though. Plenty of times I've seen players instantly resort to blaming commander, if I identify that the comm isn't trolling then I get really defensive over that person. Blaming commanders is generally the sign of either a bad player or a rager.

That being said, I still hate losing and losing a game (when you're doing well, killing lifeforms, etc) but your team isn't quite up to scratch, pulling their weight or is too apathetic are the games that do frustrate me especially on a more experienced server. I can tolerate rookies and rookie teams when I'm on those servers though, everyone starts somewhere.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do sometimes think people quit too easy, sometimes it takes longer than 10 mins for a team to gel.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I love those games where for 5-10 minutes a team is scrambling around trying to figure out what their role is and what they have to worry about, getting their arses kicked in the process, and then all of a sudden BOOM amazing team play out of nowhere :D

And likewise those funny games where you get your asses beat down all game and then for no apparent reason the enemy team falls apart and you win with ease.

NS2. 'tis a silly place.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I have hard time losing. I never learn how to lose like a man ;p it's some times hard not to moan. Some times i wish FF would be on with full damage. Gorge spliting, blocking an onos not healing at all, using you as a big shield OMG. Few hard strikes would realy fix the problem! what can i say i am what i am. I realy try to bite my tongue. Im first to call "GG" (comebacks makes me cry like a baby from satisfaction off wining game that are lost to me). I can say only one thing some times ppl take the game to seriously. Its passion and competition that pulls all that is worst in our characters. I never offend other players. You can always mute player like me, you have to be forgiving...
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    Vote to re-green people lol it won't be abused, shhhhhh.
    RapGod wrote: »
    Vote to re-green people lol it won't be abused, shhhhhh.

i would regreen myself in a second. the color in chat is just so much more pleasing to the eye.
    amoral wrote: »

That's true, and that's not exactly the point I was trying to make. It was more about how people handle being on a bad team.

The other day I played a game where teams were stacked against us. The comm gets on the mic and starts talking about how much we sucked. Once the game was over, he starts talking to all the marines in the ready room about what a joke his team was. We were a bad team (and I thought the comm was less than good seeing as he didn't put down the first spur until the 4 minute mark), but it was pretty irritating to hear about it too afterward. This seems to happen in a lot of games.

All I'm saying is you can lose without being rude. Scramble the teams next round. Try to have fun even if you don't get to slaughter the other team because it's going to happen roughly half the time.

Although when someone jumps in the chair without any clue as to what to do, that's a whole other story. If it's not a green server and you don't have any experience in the game, you end up wasting everyone's time in the server. Of course you should eject them and kindly explain to them why they don't need to be in the chair.

i'm taking it somewhat personally because i've raged once or twice in 1300+ hrs. and each time i did, it's been because i know it was my team's game to lose and if only the comm were slightly better we would have won... And what i mean by "better" is actually taking a bit of advice...

like maybe not dropping as many useless structures, or maybe being a bit better at ammo drops, or not dropping buildings together to form gorge-happy time placements. you tell them, and it really doesn't sink in. And they still think they were awesome at comming even if what happened was they were carried so hard your fucking shoulders ache.

I have never won a game as comm and thought to myself "damn that was all me," the most i've ever thought was, "hah, you better thank me for those med drops minions"
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    The loading screen that shows every structure everywhere in the hive rooms may confuse rookies... the art is nice.. but wrong.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    amoral wrote:
    and if only the comm were slightly better we would have won... And what i mean by "better" is actually taking a bit of advice...

like maybe not dropping as many useless structures, or maybe being a bit better at ammo drops, or not dropping buildings together to form gorge-happy time placements. you tell them, and it really doesn't sink in. And they still think they were awesome at comming even if what happened was they were carried so hard your fucking shoulders ache.

Brings a few names to mind >.>
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I agree a lot with the OP and find that this attitude more than anything chases me away from the game. The community has obviously changed a lot just due to how socializing on the internet has changed but combine that with a high teamwork requirement and you really see some people losing their marbles. Almost worse is the thick, choking air of sarcasm around half of what I have to hear come out of the mouths of many "veterans" who often joined up during a sale and were patiently taught the game by people who have been around for 10 years. Unfortunately in a communication based team game it isn't so easy to reach for the mute button the second you have to listen to yet another 16-22 year old who just discovered irony for the first time. I'm not surprised that new players or even regulars ignore people who have no idea of how to actually interact with other human beings so that they will be receptive to advice, even if they have an in-depth understanding of the mechanics. Toss a losing game into the mix and it just becomes unbearable. I finally understand what the Old Fogies server was for back in the NS1 days...

I guess the real point here is if you can't handle losing at a video game you should probably disconnect or learn to give helpful advice in a positive way that fosters teamwork.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    learn to stack on the veterans team