Combat Developer Q&A with Faultline Games - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageCombat Developer Q&A with Faultline Games - Natural Selection 2

Some of us just want to eat people. Err – As an Onos. And thanks to Faultline Games, we’re soon to be able to again. Join the Faultline development team this Saturday 21 June at 1200PDT, 1500EDT, 2100CEST on for live Q&A. Steam Event Facebook Event G+ Event Faultline Games is an elite group of highly trained assassins very clever developers who started out as Natural Selection 2 modders. Now, they have formed a fully fledged company and are soon to release Combat as a stand alone game on Steam! Join the Q&A, tell them how good their hair looks, as them some tough questions, and get prepped for Combat!…

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    wait, please say they're not putting devour in...
    I will absolutely be supporting flg but, well just not if devour is in there. That was the single worst thing ever to tarnish the ns universe.

Pshhh Roo, why wouldn't you want a mindless 1-click autokill mechanic that doesn't even need aim? Its all the rage these days.

:D
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    wait, please say they're not putting devour in...
    I will absolutely be supporting flg but, well just not if devour is in there. That was the single worst thing ever to tarnish the ns universe.
    If cod never had a nube tube, it wouldn't of been as popular. You gotta balance skill with power somewhere for all the people who suck.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    They already have that. It's called Xeno.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not by wasting a player's time you don't. There are other ways to achieve that goal should you really think it's a good idea. I would argue that the continual popularity of quake 3/live is evidence that you don't actually *need* a noob tube or equivalent in any case. But either way, devour is just terrible on every single level.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    They already have that. It's called Xeno.
    Can never have too much cowbell.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    edited June 2014
    I want devour in the vanilla NS2 but balance it so no devouring exos (gives them more reason to be used) and you can still shoot while inside the belly of the beast coz who wouldn't love being the badass that shot his way out of the onos and then give themselves the right to be called burt gummer
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hugh you were supposed to not mention the assassin part, dammit!
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Hey, it took some aim for devour!

I always wanted a chance to try and knife out of the belly, tho.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    rule #1 always buy granades before getting devoured...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I was about to join the Q&A, till you crossed out the assassin part.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    coolitic wrote: »
    I was about to join the Q&A, till you crossed out the assassin part.
    Thank god, for one second i thought you was gonna write "but then i took an arrow in the knee" lol

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited June 2014
    i will be supporting combat upon release if just to support both UWE and the NS2 community. The interview certainly peaked my interest and i will of course be playing it upon release. However i am more excited about the possibilities of the combat additions making their way into standard ns2. If devour really does work like described i can see it being very useful such as disposing of a powerful marine player winning the game for marines for a short enough time to have an effect on the match. I also love the return of the side loaded rifle and combat knife and hope to see them added to ns2 standard. Perhaps as a free upgrade to all those who bought ns2 and also bought combat as a thank you for all our support. Or as a cash shop purchase.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I'm a little disappointed.
    Nothing was truly said about NS combat should/could be the entry level for NS. By extend getting new players in NS. It's gonna stay the warm up before PCW for "claners".
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited June 2014
    I'm a little disappointed.
    Nothing was truly said about NS combat should/could be the entry level for NS. By extend getting new players in NS. It's gonna stay the warm up before PCW for "claners".

I'm fairly sure there are going to be more streams. Undoubtely not everything has been revealed yet.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I watched the first 5 min n my brain hurt too much to watch the actual content.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I recall, devouring in NS1 didn't really have any disadvantages.

Based on what FLG revealed in the Stream. Devouring a player, sure it takes the marine out of the game for a time, but the combined damage from a second marine + the one inside could make the onos vulnerable all the same. It would then crippled in terms of rapidly dropping health from two sources, perhaps the inside of the onos is pretty vulnerable.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Damage from the inside surely foregoes armour shielding?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    If I recall, devouring in NS1 didn't really have any disadvantages.

Based on what FLG revealed in the Stream. Devouring a player, sure it takes the marine out of the game for a time, but the combined damage from a second marine + the one inside could make the onos vulnerable all the same. It would then crippled in terms of rapidly dropping health from two sources, perhaps the inside of the onos is pretty vulnerable.

NS1 devour had no disadvantages other than that you could only devour 1 marine at a time :P

There was a time when Devour (with punching) was put into ns2 combat but was later taken out? I don't really play onos but as a digesting marine, dumbly holding down LMB and doing some small damage wasn't much different than in ns1. Also, what you did in ns1 was stomp in, devour a marine (hopefully a heavy) then fall back to digest, taking minimal damage.

If you're going to have Devour I think Stomp need to be looked at first because the combo is super frustrating for marines.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Oh my god, they really did put devour back in. I cannot say how disappointed I am. Combat is great, but competitive mode combat mod is even better, largely because there aren't any oni, exos and xeno ruining the game.

There is NOTHING you can do to make devour a good gameplay mechanic. It is ridiculously frustrating, takes away from the skill aspect of the game, and reduces the quality of the game.

This is so unbelievably disappointing. I really really wanted to support combat, but now I just cannot justify it. Devour has no place in this game. None.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed, even noobtubes in CoD weren't as frustrating and just found Devour infuriating in combat mod. Try to fly away as a jetpacker but thanks to the lag compensation it always seems to get you even if (on your screen) you're 20ft above him.
    There is NOTHING you can do to make devour a good gameplay mechanic.

Only a sith thinks in extremes
    Plus, no amount of 'oh look we can punch his pyloric sphincter' is going to help the situation. It's a mechanic, like stomp but *worse*, that removes control COMPLETELY from the victim. If I'm killed by a player, I die, I respawn. If I'm devoured, I sit around waiting to die so I can wait some more and then respawn. Only oh look now I can hit mouse 1 to punch the onos... that's not player choice or control, and is the single most annoying thing in online gaming. Devour made me quit NS1 all those years ago because it was just simply retarded.

Don't do something because 'it's cool' - do it because it makes for good gameplay. Removal of control from another player is BAD gameplay and should be avoided at all costs. Wasting another player's time with devour is tantamount to theft. I get limited gaming time as a dad these days, I do not want to spend what time I have playing sitting looking at the inside of an onos' stomach with the only option to wait and wait and wait until I can spawn again.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I don't think devour was retarded in ns1. There were only one Onos/round normaly and that Onos had to deal with HA-trains and groups of JPs. It brought a certain amount of fear to the enemy and the presence of an Onos alone could stop the marines from rushing into a hive and do whatever they wanted. All they needed to counter that in general was a big group and some ballz.

We still don't know any details about the devour. Can you eat Exos? What range does it have? How much stamina does it use and if I have 24 HP and eat the last jp-chaser...does the Onos die from belly punches or does it stay at 1 HP? Do the rines get a counter or an ability similar deadly to it? It's too early to just hate it.
  • CognitoCognito Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187295Members
    I imagine it will function like it did in combat mod, considering that was their own addition after all. Also, the answer to bad game mechanics is not to give them to both sides and call it even.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    You could use the Exo fist to choke fades. tadaaa!