Combat Developer Q&A with Faultline Games - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Well after watching that Q&A stream, looks like Xenocide is staying in. Unless this ability is balanced PROPERLY, I won't be supporting combat. Xeno completely destroyed combat mod, the lag, devour and the lerk spam I can stomach (pardon the pun) but Xeno broke the entire experience playing as marines.
  • odkkenodkken Join Date: 2013-09-14 Member: 188234Members
    edited July 2014
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    Well after watching that Q&A stream, looks like Xenocide is staying in. Unless this ability is balanced PROPERLY, I won't be supporting combat. Xeno completely destroyed combat mod, the lag, devour and the lerk spam I can stomach (pardon the pun) but Xeno broke the entire experience playing as marines.

If you watch the whole video, there were fewer than 20 kills due to xenocide over an hour of games. There is no reason we'd leave this ability less balanced than any other.
    edited July 2014
    odkken wrote: »

If you watch the whole video, there were less than 20 kills due to xenocide over an hour of games. There is no reason we'd leave this ability less balanced than any other.

But that doesn't necessarily mean its perfectly balanced and SUITED for combat is it? Many extraneous variables are responsible for why people did or did not use Xeno, novelty being the most obvious. I concede that I can't judge it unless I play it myself but Xenocide is not an ability that belongs in combat based on previous experience. It's easily the most powerful ability and tech advantage in the main game. It is designed to end games quickly and efficiently and used to decimate entire marine squads. Almost every other alien lifeform or ability forces marines to bunch up and work together, Xeno is the antithesis of that.

If you can balance it properly then I'll support your judgement and opinion on the subject but amongst all the crap that combat mod was left with, Xenocide was by far more of an abomination than any glitch, bad map or poor balance decision. It left very poorly skilled players a huge, skilless advantage over any marine shotgun or exo god.

Good luck because unless it's nerfed into the ground, I find it very difficult not to find serious problems with it when the main game balances it around something that combat is incapable of doing.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Razdaz - I never liked Xeno. It was just irritating. However, as someone who has actually played the game, Xeno is not overpowered anymore. I don't know that anything in the game is PERFECTLY balanced, but the beautiful thing is that the devs can continue to make balance tweaks as they need to.

You could just ask the devs if it had been nerfed before jumping to conclusions. They've been active throughout this thread.
  • odkkenodkken Join Date: 2013-09-14 Member: 188234Members
    edited July 2014
    Many extraneous variables are responsible for why people did or did not use Xeno, novelty being the most obvious.

I don't know about novelty, but you're right - there are a lot of "extraneous" (not sure what is/isn't extraneous when balancing a multiplayer game) variables that accounted for its use, or lack thereof, just like devour (I got devoured twice over an hour of games).

Even on the team, we sometimes have the problem of looking at abilities in a vacuum - and admittedly, it's very difficult to do anything else without extensive, repeated, iterative playtesting with full servers on a range of map sizes (you need a lot of data, basically). But we're trying our best to get that information, and until we have it, we aren't afraid to make small (or drastic) tweaks when something feels imbalanced, or just isn't fun.

And speaking as a player, not a dev, I've always thought xeno and devour were totally broken - until now.
  • yourstruly41yourstruly41 The United States of America Join Date: 2014-07-01 Member: 197141Members
    I enjoyed watching the stream. The gameplay looked fast and fun. The abilities looked cool, it seems pretty balanced to me. The game was also running smooth; performance was good.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    i tohught the purpose of devour was to incapacitate high skilled marines for a short time

I'd have to go back and check what was said during 1.1/2.0 development and around the release of 2.0, but as I recall it was about HAs and preventing equipment from being endlessly recycled. Taking a person out of the game and making them stare at a red screen for half a minute or more seems more like an undesirable and annoying side-effect of balancing devour rather than the actual goal itself.
    @Decoy Even if it is balanced, like with Devour, I don't like the concept. To me, this type of ability doesn't belong in combat but at the very least, if its balanced then I can deal with it and still enjoy the game. NS2 to me is a game where good players really shine, Xeno is the complete opposite. It may appeal to rookies or average FPSers but not to me.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hate maps that are absolute mazes. And 99% of NS2 maps are mazes. Why? Example of good map is Faceoff. Sure it might need some tweaking to balance the jetpackers or gorge strikes, but the base is great and i always had the most fun on thsi exact map. Symatric design and as little corridors as possible. Otherwise players need freakin 2 months to learn every corridor that looks exactly the same as the rest.

I wish i could participate in the testing during dev phase to see if they have changed stuff and how. In a way i liked the Combat mode more than NS2 itself. Sure that one is also cool, but it just requires too much effort and time to even start the round and then you end up with a comm who leaves the match 1 minute after the start. Combat mode needs like 6 players and no comm and the action can begin. And it's jolly fun even in a broken Combat mode.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you guys have a player range you are balancing for?

Personally I only like ns2 combat mod if it has less than 8 players. It just gets spammy after that.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    32 players or bust.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    james888 wrote: »

Personally I only like ns2 combat mod if it has less than 8 players. It just gets spammy after that.

I personally have been trying to look at it from a 6v6 perspective and upwards, the maximum number we are shooting for is 20-24, 24 being that we are kinda hitting the limit before it gets too chaotic.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jibrail wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

I personally have been trying to look at it from a 6v6 perspective and upwards, the maximum number we are shooting for is 20-24, 24 being that we are kinda hitting the limit before it gets too chaotic.
    I figured. I knew I was also very oddball in my taste in combat there too.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2014
    On trello it mentions the bone wall icon has been added from ns2+...

Please dont add that ugly green thing to my game :(

I really hope someone takes 2 minutes to recolour it to be orange to match every single other alien structure

Edit- I posted this in the wrong thread, this has nothing to do with combat. Derp.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    Decoy wrote: »
    Xeno is not overpowered anymore.

NDA BREAKER!!!!! THE POLICE ARE ON THEIR WAY!!!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    ^what he said :D
    But yeah guys remember that you are NDA, that includes everything you see in the build, slack and trello.
    We have a hidden PT forum for those sort of discussions btw, shoot Gisp a message on slack for access.