Babblers

CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
Rebuff? Leave as is? Forget about entirely in spite of how adorable they are?

Discuss.

I rarely see babblers used in pubs, though i've been remembering them more lately as a gorge lategame. They are a decent amount of armor (blocking shotgun shots being the most useful feature). But I want them to be decent at attacking as well. A gorge's final act could be to tell its beloved babies to sacrifice themselves to avenge their mother.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Save the babblers!

7cOte84.jpg

All image credit goes to rantology.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Save the babblers!

7cOte84.jpg

All image credit goes to rantology.
    That image is actually the inspiration for starting the thread.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i liked the original concept as a com triggered crag ability, shame we never got to see babblers scurrying out of crags
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Babblers are great when used as armor for blocking shotgun shots and GL blasts, I only wish they did not have a research requirement. Since they are getting nerfed down to only blocking one bullet, I cant find an issue with this.

Also, their combat potential could be enhanced by making them suicide units. one Pres buys 3, which explode for 15 dmg each when attacking a marine = 1.5 spit.

Gets rid of the frusration of babblers just kind of jumping around and not really doing anything, and makes them more useful than a Pres shield.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I really find them pretty... dumb. The original idea of babblers (for ns2) was so different... and I feel like their animated attack is weird... idk, I find them useless...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why babblers were moved to researchable gorge upgrade? Because early game shielded skulk was OP. Babblers running around were not. Solution: gorge upgrade unlocks babbler shield ability, babblers running around with you are there from the start. I want my buddies with me early!
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I in think they would be a good idea for the GL blast to reduce more damage than normal from GL, there creating a use for them mid/late game.
    Early game I think there done now, gorges should start with them, or at least let the commander upgrade so the gorge can shield other players
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Isn't their cuteness enough?
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    On my server they do 20 dmg each instead of 10, and they can kill a marine quite quickly, also, it only takes to eggs to pop out 8 babblers,
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Personally speaking, that value sounds frustrating @the_tick‌

Their viability has always been attached to the difficulty in deploying them on enemies as well as their slow speed.
    Compare them to what they were inspired by:
    You can defend the babblers all you want iron horse, but they're horribly configured, I agree my method doesn't "fix" the babblers, it is the weapon that fires the babblers that needs a fix, especially in speed and range.

And yes, I have played Half life 1 and 2, and know the inspiration, and they were implemented better there then in NS2.

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    the_tick wrote: »
    On my server they do 20 dmg each instead of 10, and they can kill a marine quite quickly, also, it only takes to eggs to pop out 8 babblers,
    They need buffed, but that is OP especially on a server at that size. Get 3-5 gorges, and 2 eggs = 8 babblers, so 24-40 babblers and marines without grenades will be severely punished.
    edited June 2014
    Mouse wrote: »
    I'd like to see the babbler egg and the babbler ball removed; they unnecessarily complicate things.
    Instead I think it should be implemented as a chargeable weapon that releases a swarm of 1-10 babblers. Tapping LMB would release 1 babbler. Holding LMB would gradually add babblers to the swarm. Once LMB is released, the gorge releases the swarm and takes an energy hit that's proportional to the size of the swarm.
    The babblers then act according to what's around them: If there's anything marine, they attack; If there are any other aliens, they jump on; and if there's nothing around, they jump onto the gorge.
    I think trusting an AI to do what you expect it to would lead to more frustration than the babbler bait does now. I'm fine with the ball. The spawn time could go away though. Perhaps you simply place the egg and babbles pop out, ready to attack the world.

What if they stopped jumping to attack? Unless the target is a power node, simply have them run up and swarm around its feet/base, doing a steady amount of damage. Something small, but annoying none the less. Maybe like 6dmg per second; similar to lerk bites? It would take the delay and such out of the picture caused by the jumping attack and make babblers a more immediate "threat" though not threatening enough to be overly concerned with. Plus in large quantities, they could chew up buildings pretty nicely (9x6=54 dps). Then the tweakable thing is the run speed.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    @‌Mouse

I like that Idea.

I'd like having control over them more with that.

Weapon4 puts the gorge into "Babbler Mode". Primary atack: chargable babbler belches; Secondary Atack: Baitball that flies like spit; Hold it to attach babblers to yourself (easier to use than current baitball)
    I also remember an idea where Babblers would stick to marines and do constant DoT, until your buddy shot them off of you. That could probably be balanced out with some numbers and would make babblers interesting to say the least.
    The babbler ball is really, really bad, in every way I can think of...

The ai is a bit better so maybe that can help... but the hopping attacks they make are cartoonish.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    I'd like to see the babbler egg and the babbler ball removed; they unnecessarily complicate things.
    Instead I think it should be implemented as a chargeable weapon that releases a swarm of 1-10 babblers. Tapping LMB would release 1 babbler. Holding LMB would gradually add babblers to the swarm. Once LMB is released, the gorge releases the swarm and takes an energy hit that's proportional to the size of the swarm.
    The babblers then act according to what's around them: If there's anything marine, they attack; If there are any other aliens, they jump on; and if there's nothing around, they jump onto the gorge.
    I think trusting an AI to do what you expect it to would lead to more frustration than the babbler bait does now.
    One thing to keep in mind is that because it's a weapon, you would be able to aim where the swarm landed. It would be just like combining the babbler egg and the bait ball into one attack - belching out a ball of babblers.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Babblers miss their attacks way too often, unless the marine is standing perfectly still. Even when one appear to successfully jump into a marine, it would still manage to miss its attack almost half the time. That's probably the biggest problem with Babblers right now.

The "Babbler Shield" feels rather like a gimmick. Umbra already fills the damage shield role and is more reliable. Although neither help against aliens' biggest bane: area damage (such as grenades).
    Babblers miss their attacks way too often, unless the marine is standing perfectly still. Even when one appear to successfully jump into a marine, it would still manage to miss its attack almost half the time. That's probably the biggest problem with Babblers right now.

The "Babbler Shield" feels rather like a gimmick. Umbra already fills the damage shield role and is more reliable. Although neither help against aliens' biggest bane: area damage (such as grenades).

Funny thing is, the gimmick is really its main use now. Shouldn't be, but is. I like the idea of babblers (well, the concept), but they seem like something that was only brought into the game out of nastalgia. Then abilities were created to try and make the babbler relevant to this game. Key word: try.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Someone here had an idea that babblers should attach to their target, do small damage over time, and then explode (causing small-moderate damage to nearby players and structures). Marine teammates can stop the explosion by shooting the babblers off of the victim before it's too late.

Increases offensive capability, AND gives an extra moment of teamwork and camaraderie. What's not to love?
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Someone here had an idea that babblers should attach to their target, do small damage over time, and then explode (causing small-moderate damage to nearby players and structures). Marine teammates can stop the explosion by shooting the babblers off of the victim before it's too late.

Increases offensive capability, AND gives an extra moment of teamwork and camaraderie. What's not to love?

Ff in comp would make this ability too op. If the explosion gave the marines any visual effect then it'd be troublesome.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Ff in comp would make this ability too op. If the explosion gave the marines any visual effect then it'd be troublesome.

Is the comp mod popular? I've always liked the idea of friendly fire, but I've gotten used to its absence. The comp mod will be sure to adapt one way or another, in any case.

I agree on the visual effect. Too much goo blindness would be not fun at all.
    james888 wrote: »
    the_tick wrote: »
    They need buffed, but that is OP especially on a server at that size. Get 3-5 gorges, and 2 eggs = 8 babblers, so 24-40 babblers and marines without grenades will be severely punished.

They're on biomass lvl 5 atm, since I revamped the biomass system aswell. I want to give webs more use. So they're on biomass lvl 2 and xenocide got pushed to lvl 9

Since they're on biomass lvl 5 marines have armor and maybe an advanced armory to counter the babblers quite easily, and do t forget, to attqck with babblers u basically need to hug the marine otherwise you will miss.

So double the the dmg, yeah i have tested it against a non moving marine, and he is easy to hit. I also tested against moving marines, and what a pain it is to hit them, qnd whats worse, of you miss just once, ur dead as a gorge already due to the damage ur taking from that marine, combined with the unhandyness of weapon slot 4 it will remain a rare thing to be used offensively. All they do is consume processing power on the server, and they do a lot.

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i also think the first step to make them useful and fun is to actually make them hit something.
    without that, it seems almost impossible to get any meaningful hands-on experience that would help to judge if the rest of babbler mechanics are fine or not.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

CDT Assemble!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    2 gorges could unleash like 20 babblers at once with the charge/release mechanic!

Think. Of. Tha. POWAAHHH
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    What if, babblers could be directed via map to a selected location. And that babblers lost health when not on infestation or player.

Example: summit,
    Say your a gorge in cross roads with a rine base sub. so you send your babblers to vent while you go to comp... When you see you babblers reach vent you count to 5 and then bile comp... 10 seconds latter the babblers die, but they served their purpose by pulling 1-2 rines out of sub and away from comp.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    What if, babblers could be directed via map to a selected location. And that babblers lost health when not on infestation or player.

Say your a gorge in cross roads with a rine base sub. so you send your babblers to vent while you go to comp... When you see you babblers reach vent you count to 5 and then bile comp... 10 seconds latter the babblers die, but they served their purpose by pulling 1-2 rines out of sub and away from comp.
    That would need a lot of implemention, pathways, AI, ... With existing AI Babblers would have fallen through the map or stuck in a corner somewhere.
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    maD_maX_ wrote: »

That would need a lot of implemention, pathways, AI, ... With existing AI Babblers would have fallen through the map or stuck in a corner somewhere.

That's easy to fix.

1. Change babblers to float 1m above the ground.
    2. User MAC/Drifter AI.
    3. ???
    4. profit