NS2 Derelict

Comments

• LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Cool ideas so far keep them coming :)
    Nothing to report as of this week! however we are looking in to a lot of suggestions posted here as to what to do with the map layout
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    some more for you guys, for future reference!
    1305649789_wallpapers-by-nevseoboi-125_www.nevseoboi.com.ua.jpg

XXL.jpg

ruins%20stairways%20artwork%20window%20panes%20abandoned%20wires%20wooden%20floor%20interior%20design%20gary%20tonge_wallpaperswa.com_4.jpg

below_the_canopy_05.jpg

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Thanks for nice concepts guys! Maybe it looks that nothing is going on, but at the moment me and Loki we are finishing our main projects (Core, Kodiak), meanwhile we are also actively discussing all your proposals.

We also have some ideas and concepts to toss in the hat, so when we will distill something from all of that we will let you know :)
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @insane thanks for these
    @vert thanks too!

some very cool pictures there :)
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    great addition! one looked exactly like summits atrium :) also nice find Vert^
    New alpha version on the workshop

Minor changes so far
    Made the map slightly smaller in the top left of the map
    redesigned the central "cracked dome" area
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Here is a little issue I found:

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I suggest adding some cover to the central areas temporarily and playing without the exo mod next time :D
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Awesome! I'd try increasing the saturation and intensity of the internal lights though. In the concept art, the interior has this overwhelming green/blue lighting that really adds to the atmosphere. I think it will make a great contrast in these scene against the normal looking light from the sun.

You also might try making the external light more orange/red since it looks from the angle like it takes place later in the day. This will also amp up the theme a bit I think.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    looks great loki, shame about you becoming the only mapper its going to take a long time before we see this finished but now it becomes mostly your own work.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Looking stunning so far, really in love w/ that theme.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    SOOOOOOOOO FREAKING PRETTY.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Wow it looks so great! I really want to see more. You said you did not change the layout so that could be an interesting map, not too big as far as I know but with a huge room in the middle (like Kodiak actually).

Just to inform people, I added the layout on the NS2 Wiki Index, take a look. However, the original is a tiny bit different but nothing really important & disturbing. You already made Kodiak, I'm pretty confident with the rest, good job!
    600px-Ns2_derelict.png

And personally, I do not forget the other map you showed me: Shiva.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The screenshots look great and I'm glad you intend to finish the map since you are a skilled mapper.

Regarding the colours I agree with moultano. With plants, trees and brown walls doesn't it risk to get too similar to Biodome?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wasn't this the point of derelict, to reuse the assets from biodome to make a new map instead of spending a ton of money on new assets. Also, I remember reading derelect was supposed to be dark while biodome is light. @Loki, how much are you following what UWE envisioned?
    edited June 2014
    The map is another "biodome" facility on the same planet as "biodome", just this place has become Derelict for some "unknown" reason. (Perhaps this place had some ulterior motive?)

This map will feel like biodome in that it will look similar yet be different. I have played with the lights but with any first version there is always some room for improvement. I will be sticking with UWEs vision for the map to some extent. Near the surface / window areas it will be bright yet overgrown (ish), but the internal areas with no exterior lighting will be dark and void of plant life.

I am still debating if it should be a 5tp or 4tp map and if it should be a double res like veil or mineshaft (if at all). The layout for now is kinda summit 3.0 over the next few months It will be refined and or changed a bit to form the end layout (which could be totally different) so any feedback is welcome.

For now the level appears as "Derelict Reboot", as I cant use "Derelict" on its own owing to workshop issues :P

eitherway version 0.2 is out on the workshop!
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I just downloaded the map. The textured room looks even better than in the screens.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Would be cool of the double res in the center were on different levels similar to mine shaft has. Maybe make them not in LOS of each other.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    current1y wrote: »
    Would be cool of the double res in the center were on different levels similar to mine shaft has. Maybe make them not in LOS of each other.

For a double, I really do like mineshafts. Good room to hold, but not as easy to hold as nano.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited June 2014
    just had a run around that room and it looks superb. Your best ns2 work yet.

The window with hanging down vines above the tech point gave me an idea. For 1 of the rooms that has a vent. instead of it being a vent have a broken window with a short run through a ravine to the next window..complete with the hanging vines, centre of the room perhaps a tree growing straight through the ceiling glass and a burst pipe spraying onto the tree routes creating a small pool around it
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    If I could make an aesthetic suggestion. It would be great to have a largely closed room with a shaft of light as the only source of illumination (however it would be more illumated with internal lights from the powernode when it is active). I think one of the key aspects when I think of "Derelict" is the silence and "aloneness" you would get with entering a long abandoned area.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I just took a quick look at Western Entrance as the map happened to be on the SCC server when I wanted to test ns2_frost, and I have to say that it looks and feels really, really, really, really awesome. If the whole map is going to look (and feel) like this we have another official one inbound right there.

Oh, and I like your creative way of using props :D
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Stumbled upon the screenshots of the occlusion issue we spotted on Sunday:
    9jbp7ha.jpg
    Nc2HBNf.jpg
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Love what you did with the only room that's "finished" (I don't remember its actually name). I love the decayed-Biodome thing you've got going on. I'm really looking forward to see more. And what about the central laaaaaarge room, what are you going to do with it ? I saw one power node for two RTs.
    its staying as a double RT, but the room will be 100% different from what it is now
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Very nice, I love double RTs, makes the fight for map control even more essential.
    On what map(s) are you working the most right now btw ?
    edited August 2014
    my full focus for NS2 is derelict, once that is done I will get back to shiva.

Derelict is getting a huge overhaul atm is why its been so quiet for so long.
    That is awesome, really looking forward to seeing more of this. Which room will you get "textured" next ? After the huge overhaul (what do you plan for that btw ? )