BUILD 266 NOW LIVE ON STEAM - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    @_INTER_ "But what if a player is not Afk but walks back onto the IP and goes Afk?" - Afaik, it makes no difference. They made a "pushing" mechanism to remove the player on the IP. It doesn't care how you ended up on the IP in the first place.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice one guys and a longggg weekend to try it out.
    Never patch on fridays DOESNT MEAN SH*T for community development, on the contrary. :)
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited June 2014
    If a skulk attacks the IP and you get pushed gently from it instead of jumping away full speed yourself...doesn't that makes IP grinding easier now? Just saying...

edit: PG lines with arrows but without animation is indeed a blessing for the eyes.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    lwf wrote: »
    Wow, that was fast! I expected this update to be in the works for a longer time.

The fields of red tape have been reduced me thinks......
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited June 2014
    Best update ever, some things fixed that were long over due like IP spawn issue and server player listing, keep up the good work!

It's just a shame that despite all this wonderful work the monthly average player base continues to decline.

It has dipped below the 500 player mark for the first time, currently at an all time low of 437 players, the lowest it's ever been since launch!

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/4920

Game could do with some new positive publicity.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @_INTER_ "But what if a player is not Afk but walks back onto the IP and goes Afk?" - Afaik, it makes no difference. They made a "pushing" mechanism to remove the player on the IP. It doesn't care how you ended up on the IP in the first place.
    Agreed. Now, let's see if we can figure out how to use this "force-push", if you will, to boost jump marines out of spawn, out of the map, etc. Also I'm sure it will be of some use in the battle against the dark side....
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Agreed. Now, let's see if we can figure out how to use this "force-push", if you will, to boost jump marines out of spawn, out of the map, etc. Also I'm sure it will be of some use in the battle against the dark side....

I haven´t seen it yet but I always imagine the marine been catapulted into the wall. Cracks up a smile everytime. :)
    THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK!
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Warforce17 wrote: »

I haven´t seen it yet but I always imagine the marine been catapulted into the wall. Cracks up a smile everytime. :)
    THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK!
    [/quote]

No Marines were harmed in the making of this fix... at least that is the official statement ;)

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Except for that time when we walled in the IPs with armories to see what would happen if they couldn't get pushed anywhere. Verdict: don't do that.
  • Warforce17Warforce17 Join Date: 2013-09-12 Member: 188154Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Except for that time when we walled in the IPs with armories to see what would happen if they couldn't get pushed anywhere. Verdict: don't do that.

I will try that with HBZ on next trainining. :D

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    lwf wrote: »
    Wow, that was fast! I expected this update to be in the works for a longer time.
    We're already moving into the planning stage for 267 ;) ...BUT, 267 will take longer than 266 did. Possibly much longer. Time will tell. Absolutely no ETA for 267. By design we are not trying to stick to hard-set release dates. This gives us more time to get it right. Nothing is ever perfect however, but we're making extra efforts to ensure there are not any major issues with each patch we release.
    If a skulk attacks the IP and you get pushed gently from it instead of jumping away full speed yourself...doesn't that makes IP grinding easier now? Just saying...
    The IP "push" (for Marine players) only occurs on when they are AFK during the respawn sequence. If you're moving your camera around, etc, it will not bump you off the IP.

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    And clogged up IP's ? Thats to happen slightly more often in an acual game.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The only time I've seen clogged up IP is when we wondered "What will happen if we clog up IP?". 1700 hours here. The chances are so low, I wouldn't be mad if it made my Windows uninstall.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I say it happened every +-3rd time we decided to do a Gorge rush at the start of a game. :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    “tunnel_allowed” material, which allows tunnel placement outside of nav mesh. Usage: paint material onto a face and put that face in CollisionGeometry"
    Omg.. this I missed in the patchnotes..but DC WANT.

Finally my gorgy can again hapilly spit out tunnels which should be legal to begin with.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    For the people that don't like the arrows remember that you can choose between different options meanwhile in NS2+ (static line, static arrows, dashed line, animated arrows).

Is this your suttle way of pushing the community to complete ns2+ adoption? :p

Also, will gorges have to nerfed because they now hit at close range. I have seen some nasty war gorges out there even with this bug.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    james888 wrote: »
    For the people that don't like the arrows remember that you can choose between different options meanwhile in NS2+ (static line, static arrows, dashed line, animated arrows).

Also, will gorges have to nerfed because they now hit at close range. I have seen some nasty war gorges out there even with this bug.

It wasn't that subtle, was it? But that's a NS2+ thing, options!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I think I was not clear enough what I was jesting at; it was not your comment right there but more that the options are not in ns2 therefore one must get ns2+ for the full experience.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    _INTER_ wrote: »

I can't remember if we tested that or not, but it should produce the same result. The system simply applies a physics force to nudge an idle player off the IP, but it doesn't do anything special. If something is in the way that prevents them from being nudged far enough they can stay on it and still create a problem. Anything more radical has a solid chance to create bigger problems, so we went with the simple solution that, while not covering every edge case, works in most "reasonable" scenarios.

TL;DR - it's better than nothing without being worse than nothing.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

I think I was not clear enough what I was jesting at; it was not your comment right there but more that the options are not in ns2 therefore one must get ns2+ for the full experience.

There will be a DLC soon :D
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Hey team,

Congratulations on the release, and thankyou so much for creating it! <3 community devs.

Also, a short while ago @Acedude was working on a much improved system for skill-balanced teams to replace 'Randomize Ready Room' and 'Force even teams', both of which are about as much help as testicles on a teacup. He was basing it off the work of a Google chap's proposal posted here.

Is this still happening? Have the community devs taking this over, or is Acedude still working on it?

Please say yes. To, like, everything. Pub games sorely, badly, urgently, need it. (and just think, we can wave goodbye to the 'stacking!' and 'pub stomping!' threads too).

• MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    AceDude wrote: »
    Yup, I will be meeting with Samusdroid (and Ghoul?) about this soon. Hopefully this weekend.
    *hug*
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    AceDude wrote: »
    Yup, I will be meeting with Samusdroid (and Ghoul?) about this soon. Hopefully this weekend.
    Awesome. Ping me whenever!
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    On the topic of skill balanced teams... I've been wondering, will it be able to recognize if a player is really good at one side and really bad at the other?

For example say player (x) is really good at Aliens and able to consistently get good scores, but as a Marine they're next to worthless and barely able to do anything... If it puts that player on Marines for balance purposes, wouldn't it have the opposite affect of unbalancing it in favor of Aliens?

• Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    <3 Thank you guys! Keep it up!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @MoFo - as far as I gather, yes it accounts for that. And it's a pretty trivial thing to account for tbh.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2014
    And another solution for the PG lines. I just published two mods to address this.

Solid PG lines
    531B76DF675445AE97FF5B9B8D52BDA70ADF2FAB

Dashed PG lines
    A7C82A577737D7FFF7D0A7038A25031B84788B96

It's a texture, so you can mod them... the UI folder is whitelisted so I don't think we need an option :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    A more transparent version of planet side 2 's alternative / experimental HUD could work I believe.
    PlanetSide22013-10-2419-01-32-266_zps66fbd2dc.jpg