NS2 Crashes Steam?

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    With very limited knowhow on coding in general, I did limp onto the following which apears in both dmp logs:
    tier0_s!AssertMsgImplementation+0x185:

A quick internet search links this to steam.
    tier0 pops up with more games over the years.
    looking at "common\pipes.cpp" which shows in your debug log, also links to steam.

On a final note.. usually when I check dmp files it is produced on crash, not with stopping on break. I am not sure if thats matters. :)

Start poking steam in any way possible and see how that works.
    - big picture mode yes/no
    - friends yes/no
    - overlay yes/no
    etc etc

• ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Attempted many combination of steam settings already. Even tried disabling DirectWrite (font smoothing), the cloud, etc... nothing provided a reliable solution.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Zefram wrote: »
    Something is happening with windows 8.1, steam, and ns2.
    giphy.gif
    Knew it... :-P

Can one of you who is willing to hunt this down for the kill, please uninstall each update pushed out by Microsoft as shown here:
    WHATONEOFYOUBROKENS2.JPG
    You can typically do so by going to Control Panel > Uninstall Programs

Then test to see if NS2 crashes. Test thoroughly.*
    And then tediously install ONE AT A TIME, ensuring to restart your PC fully before testing NS2 for the crash, for each and every one - rinse and repeat until you find the update that kills it.

My reasoning:
    Only true common elements between users are those items I quoted Zef above.
    Only one of those elements have remained unchanged (NS2) and since we cannot rollback Steam versions... we test what we can.
    *If after uninstalling every single 8.1 update does not bring normalcy back... then we can rule it out and officially blame Steam.

....We are closer to the culprit than you may think. (just not the fix)
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I tried playing with a fresh install of Windows 8 and it was no good. Then upgraded to 8.1 and it continued to be no good. It's got to be something up with Steam. In the meantime, I'm just going to dual boot Windows 7.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ah Damn.. The one thing we cannot roll back or control.
    Hey at least we know the culprit now.

Does steam store crash /error logs somewhere? Hard to believe they wouldn't. Time to contact them somehow as well
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I am going to be silly here and go remotely imagine that msg implement has something to do with steams online functionality.

* play with friends offline.
    * play with any notifications offline.
    * tier0_s.dll got patches a month ago on my pc, looking at the write date.
    * steam install folder & subfolder is littered with logs. 'enjoy'.
    * rather then loading a debugger like windows debugger, with the windows dbghelp, you may consider loading the one in steams folder. Because ya know, steam crashes.
    * steam has a dumps directory containing... minidumps. If they correspond with crash times.. GIMME, or loadup in a debugger yourself. (the command in windows debugger is "!analyse -v"), if that fails, im to clueless to say. :p (S do not get even remotely your hopes up)
    * Try a different steam skin, because why not!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks like the problem extends to other games as well, as evident by this neogaf thread here.
  • CyberWalrusCyberWalrus United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196070Members, NS2 Playtester
    @DC_Darkling‌ https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ibdwu8mjeyyovr/steam_dumps.zip Steam had loads of dumps for each crash, including the NS2 crashes and the one TF2 crash I had. Don't seem very revealing to me, other than standard C++ "we touched some memory we weren't supposed to"
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    It's not a recent Windows Update, as I did a clean install of 8.0 and 8.1 with no updates applied. Only video and wifi drivers.

It immediately failed. only a move to Windows 7 corrected it. It's a issue with Steam client and Windows 8.

I must also say I've tried the beta Steam client and the normal one. No worky for either.
    While not having a clue how related it is..
    I did see some threads going on about messages, security cookies and stuff like that. Also one of your log has failed connections for something steam.

* be sure you are not subscribed to steams beta.
    * disable anything cloud.
    * login manually into steam again.
    * also check: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1876684

Last one is obvious for all of you. If you DO have steam dump files, start opening steam tickets!
    I am guessing here, its their program. It takes them a day or 2 in my experience, but they do in fact answer.
  • PikumPikum Indiana, USA Join Date: 2014-05-18 Member: 196104Members
    edited May 2014
    So uh... I just ran the registry cleaner from ccleaner and I seem to be fine.. haven't crashed yet... I usually crash in the first minute or two and I seem to be fine currently. Will update this post after a while in case it crashes 20-30 min down the line.

Edit: I made it through two rounds, no crash... Gotta get some food, I'll test some more later.

Edit: after grabbing some PB&J .. crashed a few min into the next round.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Having this issue as well. About a week and no solution as of yet. :(
    Last one is obvious for all of you. If you DO have steam dump files, start opening steam tickets!
    I am guessing here, its their program. It takes them a day or 2 in my experience, but they do in fact answer.
    This^
    This is what i recommend at this point

• PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Guys, I fixed my issue by deleting the clientregistry.blob file in the main directory of Steam. Make sure that Steam is not logged in when doing so.

Try it and post your results here for others to see.

PS - Some people mentioned that you need to also set the Steam.exe file to run in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode after deleting the file, but I didn't and it's working.
    valve very much advices not to compatibility run steam!
    PoNeH wrote: »
    Guys, I fixed my issue by deleting the clientregistry.blob file in the main directory of Steam. Make sure that Steam is not logged in when doing so.

Try it and post your results here for others to see.

Tried this... I've currently made it through three rounds without a crash. I think we might have an answer... still, I feel like this is something Steam might want to know about. If I crash in the future, I'll come back and edit this post... but for now it's working.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Aahhhhh.... the clientregistry.blob

If in doubt, delete the clientregistry.blob file, it will cure everything.
    PoNeH wrote: »
    PS - Some people mentioned that you need to also set the Steam.exe file to run in Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode after deleting the file, but I didn't and it's working.

I did this and it's working now, albeit with strange Steam behavior (lock ups and freezes with crash to desktop), but NS2 is solid and not crashing even when Steam is unresponsive.

edited May 2014
    What what.. you guys did fresh OS installs and you still had this issue, how did your client registry blob survive a complete OS reinstall exactly???

@Zefram‌ did you try the deleting of the blob only first?
    I decided against a windows 7 install. deleting the blob was one of the first things I attempted. It didn't work. running steam with windows 7 compatibility mode (in windows 8.1) did not work. running steam with windows xp sp3 compatibility mode worked like a charm. Been playing all night without a hitch.
  • CyberWalrusCyberWalrus United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196070Members, NS2 Playtester
    Deleting the blob seems to have worked for me, with seemingly no adverse side effects. Thanks!
    edited May 2014
    Odd that the suggested solution work around is only working for some...
    Another reminder that valve advices against steam in compatibility mode. You may be creating future problems, just saying.

* check for the steam minidumps in the steam folder, not the ns2 folder.
    * register a steam support account.
    * open shiny tickets.

Takes about 5 mins to open one, surely you can all fit that in. :)
    I've left my steam ticket open with them even though deleting the blob worked for me... Figure it's a problem that needs addressed on their end regardless of if this "fix" worked.
    Steam was updated today.
    Any changes?
    Whatever steam did for their update today works for me. I can run Steam and play NS2 normally without setting any compatibility modes. 12 solid rounds and I forgot I was even testing stability.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Steam was updated today.
    Any changes?

Mine got worse, I had to un-subscribe from all mods. Once that was done it worked fine.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Steam was updated today.
    Any changes?

Mine got worse, I had to un-subscribe from all mods. Once that was done it worked fine.

Had some other ppl reporting the same issue to me aswell.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    Today I did upgrade steam and after that NS2 started to crash just after start (before main menu shows up). Deleting workshop folder and reinstalling NS2 didn't helped me, but un-subscibing to mods did the work!

here is my techsupport file when game did crash:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/edf44hfdk2ugmeb/tech_support-2014-05-22.zip
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    xtal wrote: »
    Today I did upgrade steam and after that NS2 started to crash just after start (before main menu shows up). Deleting workshop folder and reinstalling NS2 didn't helped me, but un-subscibing to mods did the work!

here is my techsupport file when game did crash:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/edf44hfdk2ugmeb/tech_support-2014-05-22.zip

If
    Error: Mod '' wasn't available

appears in your log you have this "new issue". Which seems to be only fixable by unsubscribing all mods at workshop.