So, about reinforced...

Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
I'm probably wrong in thinking this, but the reinforced program was there for people to donate so future updates to NS2 could continue. and so far, (disregarding 265, because from what i hear it was largely done by the community.) it seems like all we've had is broken patches, with 2 month long gaps in between.

The reinforced update itself was broken as hell (i stopped playing for a couple weeks) and the next 5 patches were cleaning up it's mess. since then, we've had patches that have included game breaking bugs (Force even crash, mineshaft, docking) That have STAYED broken until this most recent patch mostly made by the COMMUNITY.

maybe i'm missing something here, but it really does feel like UWE is just pushing ns2 aside, and letting the community handle it, which is fine.

BUT it feels like it was just a way to gain extra cash for their next project, when Reinforced was DONATIONS to continue updating ns2 which is completely wrong.

I'm all for them using profit from the game/dlc ect for underwater-game-thingie, but not IF they are using money from donations.

AND if they aren't useing money from reinforced, then what have they done with it then? they should have used the money to focus on not releasing broken patches and or hotfixes, which i remember an excuse for being time/money, what was reinforced for!? you have the money part at least! and 2 of 3 game breaking bugs could be fixed right away, and were, by samus with mods. (barely any servers used them though)

Like I've said, i'm probably wrong, but it really does feel like this to me.

all right, i'm done.

Comments

• Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    yeah, but i'm fairly sure i remeber at the time it was released, it was also for funding future development. though i'd have to go back to the old announcements and i can't be bothered right now.

But, if that is the case, i apoligise and i still think they should have actually tested the previous patches.

if it is true, my point still stands.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    As far as I understood it, reinforced donations were not for future patches but instead a way of repaying for all the patches that already happened.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Brad2810 wrote: »
    yeah, but i'm fairly sure i remeber at the time it was released, it was also for funding future development. though i'd have to go back to the old announcements and i can't be bothered right now.

But, if that is the case, i apoligise and i still think they should have actually tested the previous patches.

if it is true, my point still stands.

I don't think they ever stated that the Reinforced program was there specifically to fund future updates. Rather a way to recoup some if their investments of previous patches, while seeing if this way of funding might be or might not be viable enough to keep development of NS2 going for some time longer.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    If you have lots of $$$$$$ , free to donate

IF you dont , and poor like me >>> No one judge you when you only bought NS2
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    The Reinforcement Program allows you to decide how much of the cost of Reinforced we make back – And ultimately, whether we can continue to work full time on creating NS2 content.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/reinforced-expansion-released/

Then, I guess you have your answer now.

In my opinion, this isn't too bad to pay / donate for Subnautica. But, when you have, like last Build 265, a whole patch created by the community itself, I can understand people (who paid for Reinforcement Program) who feel ripped off, especially when we can still see many bugs. But that is another debate.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Brad2810 wrote: »
    we've had patches that have included game breaking bugs (Force even crash, mineshaft, docking) That have STAYED broken until this most recent patch mostly made by the COMMUNITY.
    I must have said it 5 times already, but NO they didn't stay broken and got fixed right away by Samusdroid. If you play on servers not or badly administered, you will have a bad NS2 experience period. Play on servers that are not abandoned and you will not see that kind of bugs.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    NS2 goes through updates where they make a major one, and usually a few patches to fix some stuff in it. Almost all games are like this, but NS2 does it with a bit more problems with more patches needed (give them a break though, it's their first standalone game).

Reinforced was just to pay for reinforced and as a donation to NS2, nothing else.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Anyway, we saw some new patches since Reinforced & Biodome. I keep thinking NS2 doesn't need more content, except maybe new maps like Kodiak thanks to community mappers. Balance isn't perfect but good enough. The only thing is needed now is solving issues & bugs, that's all, but that's not the most interesting work to do.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    Locklear wrote: »
    Reinforced was a good attempt at trying to pay for the costs of the patch but I personally think you guys should go F2P to raise the player base in turn with having content available for them to purchase. (skins/maps/etc)
    Nonononono :-SS Maps and if there will be new weapons at some point in the future (balance hell returns :P), should always remain free for everyone. Dem skins and what not could very well go on the DLC list IMHO
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Agree with a F2P model. But like Kouji said, you don't want to break up the community with paid maps though. The core game itself including maps should be the same for everyone. Skins could be a cool idea... or badges, or shoulder patches... etc. :D Hell even customized taunts could be cool :P
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I thought it also had to do with the ns2wc... maybe I'm mixing up other community-raised funding (I know half was uwe, then sponsors came, but that was still a fair amount of cash).

No problem with this dlc. Seems legit.
    Yeah, I agree with joshhhy, F2P model could be the best idea to keep going for donations. I have no problem with something like the last Kodiak Pack, which one is very interesting btw. Customize our own Marine, our own lifeform is certainly something players could love, that's only skins & have no real impact on the game itself. Anyway, I think Community and / or Developers are inventive, if that possibility can work, they'll do it then.
    In addition, they are not extremely expensive and people can choose (if more packs out) to choose which ones they prefer.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited May 2014
    That map alone also cost close to 100K to create all of the unique assets and for all of the mapper time spent on it.

Give me 100k and Ill be happy to make you a map. Heck, I'll go one better and do it for 50k!
    What's your delay then to make a new map Maxx11_v2.0? Haha. There are some other custom maps interesting to be played anyway.
    Pelargir wrote: »
    What's your delay then to make a new map Maxx11_v2.0? Haha. There are some other custom maps interesting to be played anyway.

Had I known they go for 100k a pop I'd be all over that editor from day one!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    Please have NS2 continuation project led by @SamusDroid and helped by some modders. Continue to make content and submit to UWE every now and then.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited May 2014
    they wasted all reinforced money on a sub-par map eclipse (100k). now they want to trial DLC. it's a scam IMO. I highly doubt that all the money made will be put towards ns2. Give me a breakdown on the other 200k ASAP pls devs. i'll happy donated double the DLC to samus & loki over giving money to UWE at this point. pretty bad?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    nezz wrote: »
    they wasted all reinforced money on a sub-par map eclipse (100k). now they want to trial DLC. it's a scam IMO. I highly doubt that all the money made will be put towards ns2. Give me a breakdown on the other 200k ASAP pls devs. i'll happy donated double the DLC to samus & loki over giving money to UWE at this point. pretty bad?

Reading comprehension is helpful when on forums.
    1 - None of the Reinforced money has gone to other projects other then NS2

2 - It was stated many times that the Reinforced donation program was to cover the cost of the Reinforced update (which in total cost twice as much as the money that has come in from the donation program), not for future updates...however

3 - We still ended up putting out many more patches beyond Reinforced, including this patch http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/return-to-eclipse-2/, with the Eclipse map. That map alone also cost close to 100K to create all of the unique assets and for all of the mapper time spent on it.

Also, I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to donate over uwe's head, but purchasing the dlc will ultimately go much further for the hopes of future development of ns2. I can see you have a vendetta, though, so I don't think any amount of reason will curb your on nay-saying. All the while enjoying ns2 in the background...

If uwe had abandoned ns2, we would not have the kodiak update with all it's community magic inside, nor would we have had any updates..
    Give me 100k and Ill be happy to make you a map. Heck, I'll go one better and do it for 50k!
    Ooh, 50K, that's a bargain. Sounds good, but in addition to learning the editor so you can put a map together, you'll also need to learn a 3d modeling program to create some high quality models, and also Photoshop for all of the texturing. And then proceed to do the work of a team of artists to create all the custom art content to fully theme out an entire map, the way Eclipse was done.

Call me so we can discuss this further.

Honestly, even if I didn't know how to do any of this, I'd be willing to learn if I was promised a sum close to $100k per map.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited May 2014
    Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    you are saying making assets and 1 map cost 100 000 dollars? but to put that it in perspective:

if u pay lets say 50 induvidual mappers 1000$ each - (i bet they would cough up better maps then eclipse) and 50 guys making assets that is receiving a 1000$ paycheck once 1 map is final and completed...it all adds up but sounds like fantasy numbers and is completely unrealistic. how many mappers did u have for eclipse 2,3,5? then thats 50.000 to split, they would have to take 10.000$ each i doubt that is what happend, so maby u got 1 person making the trailer? did the 5 mappers take the unrealistic 1000 dollar each and he the unrealistic 45.000 left for mappers just for 1 trailer? haha u have to be kidding here, also dont say its elictricity, u dont even have 50 mappers developing 1 map.

it still does not make sense, Honestly what did u spend the amount of money on, best way to break the game?
    honestly the latest build cannot even run my fucking game 2.418 hours into playing it. Finally i get frozen main menu while loading it, congratulations to the best build
    - validating steam cache, dont work - deleting local content, dont work - even after reinstalling game, dont work - oh also...sending the crash report, dont work.
    Who knows maby it does but after saying SENDING for over 13 hours while i was doing other shit i just turned my pc off and could not even play the best community maps of all times. What happens if i want to support loki and buy the dlc? i cannot even PLAY. i know this is some indie development but that does not justify crashing game updates. maby spend money on making a build that will optimize ns2 once and for all, tell me when build 300 is out maby i can play then
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Ooh, 50K, that's a bargain. Sounds good, but in addition to learning the editor so you can put a map together, you'll also need to learn a 3d modeling program to create some high quality models, and also Photoshop for all of the texturing. And then proceed to do the work of a team of artists to create all the custom art content to fully theme out an entire map, the way Eclipse was done.

Honestly, even if I didn't know how to do any of this, I'd be willing to learn if I was promised a sum close to $100k per map.

You'd have a pretty awesome career in game dev if you learned to do all that on your own, and was good at it!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer

While he's at it, don't forget to entice a team of 60+ volunteers to test your map for holes, pathing errors, exploits and general playability four times a week every week.
    edited May 2014
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    You see, that's the problem. You (as part of UWE) give arbitrary numbers but don't break them down into actual costs, which you probably should when asking for donations to compensate for development. Now, I realize that making a map requires knowledge of several tools and a lot of work, but $100k is still a rather steep figure for a single piece of content, especially since a sizable chunk of your contributors are volunteers (like the testers). Care to go into a little more detail? Believe it or not, I'm not trying to troll you or call you out on a bluff, I'm genuinely interested in how you came up with that number.
    SteveRock wrote: »

You'd have a pretty awesome career in game dev if you learned to do all that on your own, and was good at it!

@SteveRock
    I'm actually dead serious Steve, if someone was willing to pay me that kind of money to make maps, Id be all over every tool needed, working my ass off to polish my skills.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig
    You see, that's the problem. You (as part of UWE) give arbitrary numbers but don't break them down into actual costs, which you probably should when asking for donations to compensate for development. Now, I realize that making a map requires knowledge of several tools and a lot of work, but $100k is still a rather steep figure for a single piece of content, especially since a sizable chunk of your contributors are volunteers (like the testers). Care to go into a little more detail? Believe it or not, I'm not trying to troll you or call you out on a bluff, I'm genuinely interested in how you came up with that number.

I'm actually dead serious, if someone was willing to pay me that kind of money to make maps, Id be all over every tool needed, working my ass off to polish my skills.

Honestly, it's mostly going to billed hours. If you want good talent making your assets and code you need to pay competitive compensation. It's oddly very easy to overlook the human element when it comes to breaking these costs down given that they're hands down the most significant element.
    edited May 2014
    Narfwak wrote: »
    @Squeal_Like_A_Pig

I'm actually dead serious, if someone was willing to pay me that kind of money to make maps, Id be all over every tool needed, working my ass off to polish my skills.

Honestly, it's mostly going to billed hours. If you want good talent making your assets and code you need to pay competitive compensation. It's oddly very easy to overlook the human element when it comes to breaking these costs down given that they're hands down the most significant element.

Actually, I'm not overlooking it. In fact, I kind of hope I missed something (a big something) in my own assessment because at the moment its billed hours that factor into most of what I came up with. Assessing costs based on your own compensation then calling it steep would be a very bad PR move so I'm assuming there's got to be more to it.