Onos at 6:30?

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
Happened at naturalselection2.pl server.

Is there a legal way to obtain onos this early?

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    7 harvesters will make 45.5 res in 6:30 minutes. Seems plausible to me assuming you mass-expanded and the marines did not push. You start with 20 if you took around a minute, perhaps with a couple of gorges, it IS possible.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2014
    Well, 7 harvesters, yes, but we held the triangle of Terminal, Departures, Locker, with having East Wing too, until the onos came to Locker and smashed the expansions out. I hope other players being present at the time will come and comment on this.

BTW I filled a report with SteamID, unfortunately, I don't have a replay footage.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Well, 7 harvesters, yes, but we held the triangle of Terminal, Departures, Locker, with having East Wing too, until the onos came to Locker and smashed the expansions out. I hope other players being present at the time will come and comment on this.

BTW I filled a report with SteamID, unfortunately, I don't have a replay footage.

I highly doubt this is anyone hacking. This is probably someone cheating through admin abuse.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    There is also an very rare bug wich give access to onos in early game.
    I saw it only one time wich end in onos @ 3 min mark.

It was on our server and happened to one of our members, so adminabuse wasnt the reason.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I experienced a bug once where I was able to go Fade at the start of a game. I had some sort of network issues at home and I was disconnected from the internet in the late stages of a game (was sitting on about 80pres). When I rejoined the server the next game had started but I retained my 80pres. Had completely forgotten about it until I read this, might try and reproduce it later.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Zinkey wrote: »
    I experienced a bug once where I was able to go Fade at the start of a game. I had some sort of network issues at home and I was disconnected from the internet in the late stages of a game (was sitting on about 80pres). When I rejoined the server the next game had started but I retained my 80pres. Had completely forgotten about it until I read this, might try and reproduce it later.

Damn you players sitting on 80 unused pres!
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Zinkey wrote: »

Damn you players sitting on 80 unused pres!

In my defense it was one of those games where we had like 7-8 RTs all game and we had W3/A3 and I didnt need anything but a rifle to kill everything.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I have seen it happen once on my servers. A guy got 100 res when he respawned and he evolved into an onos. This was like 3-4 minutes into the game and he is not an admin. I moved him to the readyroom and when he rejoined everything was back to normal. Since I've only seen it once in my 1200+ hours I don't think it's a biggie.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    seen this a few times, player gets disconnected but rejoins the server at the start of a new round, but stil has there Pres,
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Happened at naturalselection2.pl server.

Too bad my endless drifter-ability spammage and crag backup didnt prove enough for this noob team with a FREE F*CKING ONOS to win.
    Was a funny game :)

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    seen this a few times, player gets disconnected but rejoins the server at the start of a new round, but stil has there Pres,

This is an old bug, was fixed long ago, and definitely should not be present in the current build.
    If anyone is able to reproduce this please PM me or make a technical support forum thread.
    Thanks
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »

This is an old bug, was fixed long ago, and definitely should not be present in the current build.
    If anyone is able to reproduce this please PM me or make a technical support forum thread.
    Thanks
    Yea, sorry should have said it was quite awhile ago :P
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've had this bug before where I started with 100 pres, and it seems to be related with pregame plus. I crashed during pregame, and when I reconnected the game had already started. I went onos at 2 minutes to make it clear to everyone that there was a bug, admin on the server reset the game so no harm was done.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Welcome to 2012 release build.. boy that was fun.

6m Onos - all day; every day. Fun gaem.

I really doubt that is still possible though without exploiting a bug or getting like 8 harvesters up instantly and destroying the marines.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »

Thanks

Yes, I remember it was easy to reproduce long ago, and I remember it was fixed long time ago, didn't encounter in afterwards.
    BUT. Just recently (about a week ago, 264) we started a game on Veil, marines reached nano within 1 minute (slightly less, this is important) and WHAM WILD LERK APPEARS. All the marines were like: "wtf, early lerk egg drop?". But the the facts are: You need biomass two (20 res) and it takes something like 20 seconds to upgrade, than lerk (30 res?) and it take about 40 seconds to upgrade, then evolve time, and it's already one minute, not even considering time it takes to click things and time for lerk to reach from sub to nano. And also the fact that they've dropped cysts and two harvesters in nano, there is no way they could have res or time for that tactic.

So I asked the guy, wtf was that, he said: I just spawned with 27 res and decided to go lerk.

For note: server was full of mods, like badges, shine, pgp, player names on minimap, mineshaft fixed, nothing harmful, but still not vanilla.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it is possible depending on the map (no. harvester available). I just played a game with a 8:00 onos on mine shaft. We had all res bar 2 in the first 2:30. Because we had enough gorges, you could grow harvesters fast. If you were more efficient, it may be possible to do 6:30 (but would be pushing it).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Don't forget, some servers, like TG award you with Pres amounts equivalent to what the player who left had / should have had (i think) .. so just joining a match mid round can result in an instant fade for you, personally.
    I very much enjoy this mod, btw. Wish it was official.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    Onos at 3 minutes, game end at 5 minutes. (gorge included)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I have seen it happen once on my servers. A guy got 100 res when he respawned and he evolved into an onos. This was like 3-4 minutes into the game and he is not an admin. I moved him to the readyroom and when he rejoined everything was back to normal. Since I've only seen it once in my 1200+ hours I don't think it's a biggie.

Yes, this sounds probable. The onos guy said only one thing, and that was: "I don't know why the game gave me 100 res." So it might have been this bug.

After you play many games, you get a sort of feeling about the flow of the game. We had solid map control, half the map at least, it struck all team as odd at the moment the onos appeared.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is the Pre-Game Plus Bug. Might have to take it up with them.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    @Kamamura the ns2.pl server does run the pre-game plus plugin so there's a good chance it's the bug that a few people mentioned. I'll pass this info on to the servers head admin.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited May 2014
    i seen it happen ages ago, a player who crashed during the previous game returned to the server except his res for the previous match carried on to the new match and he had pretty much an instant onos.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Im the head admin of the BGR naturalselection2.pl server and i guarantee that non of my admins have rights to use cheats (if thay had and use them i would cut there balls off) Pre-Game Plus is probably the problem. I seen it once @Zinkey was going fade when the match started (Teams ware stacked badly). We had a fighting chance thanks to it. It was fun but still no one know what was the cause.