Need Help With Avoiding Risky Plays

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
edited April 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I have a bit of a problem (and not just with NS2), where I sometimes try to take on risky plays. I often tell myself not to do stupid plays, but sometimes something happens and I end up straying from my plans and just do crazy plays (especially with fade in NS2 and especially with razor in Dota 2). Any advice for this?

I assume it happens a lot with fade and razor since they both move fast in their respective games and are capable of doing risky plays (hence they make me pretty cocky)

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    ...the word "plays" does sound weird if you come to think about it.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Branching out from lerking I see.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    I suggest using your peripheral vision to *always* watch your health and energy.
    Set a limit for yourself, a bar you set in which you will not attack when you cross it... like if you are under 70% of your HP.

Granted, the default UI doesn't do the best job of communicating this (especially compared to NS1) so you may want to look into alternatives.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    It isn't attacking while low on hp that is the problem, it's more like chasing after people, attacking too early, getting too cocky, etc.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited April 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    It isn't attacking while low on hp that is the problem, it's more like chasing after people, attacking too early, getting too cocky, etc.

Eh. I assume you're talking about scrims / matches? I just have a mental note to always remember;

Even if I kill 1, 2 or 3 marines is my play going to contribute to the victory or am I simply risking my lifeform for +1 on the scoreboard.

You can apply this methodology for every decision you make in the game. Solo pushing rt's as marines, knowing you're going to be pack played can be extremely beneficial when the opposite side of the map you have dual marines pushing their opposite RT.

Further comments:
    Unfortunately, killing shotgun marines when phase gates are in distance, other marines are in distance simply places your life form at risk unless your team is going to leverage the advantage of them having a respawning player. ie pushing a phase gate or packing RT's on far side ect. Marines simply run back / maintain your shotgun till another comes to pick it up and you have effectively achieved nothing.

It's completely possible for premier/div1 players to 2 shot fades by themself with meatshots, so every engagement is extremely risky and should only be taken when you are contributing to winning the game.

Sound obvious? You would think so, but premier level players make this mistake all the time.

Thanks you guys give lots of good info, but the thing is that sometimes my cockiness overrides my logic and that usually puts me at risk. However, I will take note of all your suggestions as they are helpful.
    edited April 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    Branching out from lerking I see.

I actually used to have fade as my main class, till lerk got much more viable and fade became less viable.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thanks you guys give lots of good info, but the thing is that sometimes my cockiness overrides my logic and that usually puts me at risk. However, I will take note of all your suggestions as they are helpful.

So if you know what you need to do, I think the only thing left for you is to practice restraint.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Yea, being greedy gets me too. And that blink into a room and get 2 shot ties to the dome.
    edited April 2014
    2cough wrote: »

So if you know what you need to do, I think the only thing left for you is to practice restraint.

MUST. RESTRAIN. CHASING. GORGE!
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Honestly, I have a similar problem, and it's the result of two compound issues. The main problem is the following mentality:

"I see that marine. He is mine. I swiped that marine. His death should be added to MY kill column. Therefore, I must stay and swipe more, otherwise someone else will kill him and I will only get an assist for all my trouble."

This is also compounded by the fact that, generally speaking, my dodging ability with the Fade is superior to the aim of the average marine. Hence, I will normally risk the extra swipe or two in order to secure the +1, even if it means stubbornly walker-fading to conserve energy for blinking away (which is the cause of 90% of fade deaths in public servers).

This can be applied to any game, as you alluded to in the OP. Generally, your own self-confidence, plus the stat-driven nature of games (i.e. tracking K/D/A), becomes the source of your undoing.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Then don't be cocky? Stop pub stomping and start playing equally skilled or better skilled players. You've gotten used to getting way with bad habits obviously.

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for since you clearly already know what the problem is.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

Is it that you can't tell when a situation is too risky or do you know it's stupid while going in?
    It's all about staying calm and not rush into engagements. A risky pick in almost all situations not worth the loss of a fade.

I would suggest to get in a competitive team (especially with a good commander who can rage at the team),
    lose your fade a few times because of beeing greedy and make your team lose the games by doing that.
    Hopefully the other guys are gonna be pissed and that way you learn not to do the risky stuff or get kicked out of the team otherwise :-P
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It's about consistency - always playing as if you're trying to get the best KDR possible.

I know it's well within my ability to get awesome KDR and top the scoreboard every game. But it doesn't happen every game. It doesnt happen in a lot of games.

It's way easy to get distracted and chase a skulk from map central all the way round every single RT you own. It's super easy to feel hungry as a skulk when fighting marinee and not disengage, losing your skulk and your foothold in the engagement.

I think it's about consistency, which requires concentration. Having ADD that's something I am not great with, but that's basically it.

If you're trying to have fun, you're probably not going to kill everything and never die.

90% of my deaths are caused by just chilling/ being silly/ not paying attention/ setting myself some internal challenge like "kill SomethingRandom's lerk at all costs because it'll really piss him off".

So basically stop trying to have fun. Treat this game like a job. Treat your marine body like your real body - stay safe. All the time.

Risky plays are fun, but they're also more likely to end in tears than beautiful explosions.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fade... Razor........ Fazor...

More risk is more fun. The payoff is sweeter but the consequence is usually more embarrassing when you get greedy with a fade, lerk, onos, JP, etc. But I would have a lot less fun playing it safe 100% of the time.
    edited April 2014
    I like improving myself (since that is fun for me), but the reason I don't play competitive is specifically because I play for fun, not prestige or money (I assume prestige and money is the point of comp play)

Also, if we had a fazor how awesome would that be? =D
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like improving myself (since that is fun for me), but the reason I don't play competitive is specifically because I play for fun, not prestige or money (I assume prestige and money is the point of comp play)

Also, if we had a fazor how awesome would that be? =D

No. Aside from a small prize for the top teams in the top tournaments (not enough to live on...!), there is no money in comp play. Not one single person plays competitive NS2 for the money, this I guarantee.

I for one play competitive because I like improving my own game, and I find organised 6v6 play the most fun.
    Playing on pubs is fine for passing the time, but it makes me a worse player (get into bad habits).

Perhaps you should do some ENSL gathers (...EU) or reddit pugs (US) to get into some higher level play? It is informal and a fantastic way to improve your game. You will learn so much more in these environments than rookie-farming on pubs :)

Plus then we'll get to see your lerk and fade in action ;)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Establish some safe limits and stick to them. If you're below a certain level of life, for example, you run, period, regardless of whether you think you can sneak one extra hit in there before you go.

Granted, I'm probably not the best person to give any advice given that @current1y made me flash lerk five times in a single game last week. :-S
    @Roobubba, that still counts as fun though doesn't it? If you are enjoying the game, that means you are having fun right?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Vengaboy wrote: »
    Fade... Razor........ Fazor...hey

More risk is more fun. The payoff is sweeter but the consequence is usually more embarrassing when you get greedy with a fade, lerk, onos, JP, etc. But I would have a lot less fun playing it safe 100% of the time.

This..
    While what male fatalities said is the best advice in here, I feel it displays the difference between playing for winning (his advice) or playing for your subjective version of "fun"..

I frequently do the same.. I know better.. I know what will win.. But Damn it.. It's not nearly as fun as testing your limit / how many can I take out with 50 HP remaining.

It's just such an adrenaline rush compared to playing it safe..
    edited May 2014
    What's everyones adrenaline levels upon getting a rampage? I kind of have high adrenaline all the time, but rampaging with razor (or even just ultra kill) is still an awesome thing to feel.

After i'm done rofling, I tell em never to let razor link you for so long, lol.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    What's this razor thing? Coolitic, I have the same problem as you. I over commit way to much as an alien. It hurts but those times when I make it out with <5% of my health are very exciting and give me a rush.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If I'm getting out with less than 50 hp, I don't find it a 'fun adrenaline rush' - I'm usually chastising myself for such sloppy play leaving it way too close before escape. You need enough health not only to survive long range pistol hits on retreat, but also in case of any attempted pinch.
    But yes the fun for me is in playing well on a personal level as well as helping my team to victory. and probably not in that order.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always tend to out stay my welcome as a fade and die running away on 10hp. X_X
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester

Fame? Money? In comp NS2? Ok, what did I do wrong so far?
    Once you've improved to a skill lvl way beyond the average pub players you have to decide if it's fun for you to use that skill and stomp pub players and getting high KDs or to look for a challange and play vs good competitive teams. I decided for the second one, because it's the only way to have fun games for me.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    elodea wrote: »
    Then don't be cocky? Stop pub stomping and start playing equally skilled or better skilled players. You've gotten used to getting way with bad habits obviously.

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for since you clearly already know what the problem is.

bingo. It can be easy to rely in simply "out skilling" your opponents which often leads to really stupid engagement and deaths.

and @narfwak maybe you aliens shoulda thought not to fux with space marines bro.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    Also, with lifeforms (fade, lerk, onos) this is how I treat their HP limits
    image.png
    Basically, if I am low on armor, I will go to heal unless the odds are heavily in my favour and I'm certain I cannot be flanked or pinched.

Also @elodea‌ thanks for reminding me of this... Hmm I need to play more gathers
    Anzestral wrote: »

Fame? Money? In comp NS2? Ok, what did I do wrong so far?
    Once you've improved to a skill lvl way beyond the average pub players you have to decide if it's fun for you to use that skill and stomp pub players and getting high KDs or to look for a challange and play vs good competitive teams. I decided for the second one, because it's the only way to have fun games for me.

But as I have heard in this thread, comp play is not about having fun, so, yeah.
    edited May 2014
    NeoQuaker1 wrote: »
    What's this razor thing? Coolitic, I have the same problem as you. I over commit way to much as an alien. It hurts but those times when I make it out with <5% of my health are very exciting and give me a rush.

Razor is a hero in dota 2, you kind of have to play it to know how he works.

I will just say this, I love team-wiping with him.