Flayra, when you sucked enough money out of NS2...

the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
Please reduce the price of it, or make it F2P, add some buyable weapon skins and stuff into the game and make it more community viable, because atm, the community is slowly dying out :(

With price reductions your prolly to make off more money with it anyhow :) I don't pay 20 euro's for games I don't know at all... Or if EA is branded on it ofc

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    IF EA branded this game it would die instantly.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Weren't there some price reductions recently? I recall seeing some threads about it...
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    There is SO much information about NS2 out there, you can't possibly "not know" the game if you care. Also, 20 Euros is NOTHING, so don't stop whining about it. Your offensive tone upsets me. I smoke weed worth more than 20€ each week.
    NS2 is a game that will easily give you a few 100 hours of fun - trust me, its worth every penny.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    IF EA branded this game it would die instantly.

EA wouldn't touch NS2, it is too high skill/not retard friendly :)
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Guess you don't understand really, also, check your scentences, there is a big flaw in one of them.

Anyhow, what I was trying to say, there are many 20 euro games out there, and yes, if you get hooked and if you don't get screwed over by the system specs you might get hooked, but for a lot of people that isn't the case, they get dissapointed and throw their 20 bucks away.

What I am trying to suggest is to change the approach of the game, you finally have a completed game, which got a lot of the bugs out, But has been released over 2 years ago, 2 years have past, sales get lower and lower, less ppl entering the community aswell, less and less servers to play on, I counted about 12-15 full servers this night, and that isn't a whole lot for NS2 compared to NS1

NS1 was a free mod, A whole lot more resources have been invested in this game, but the game has some flaws to, especially people who are new to this game, My suggestions is to raise the bar of payments lower, and compensate it with either ingame items that can be brought ( like ns2 loadout LoL etc etc etc,) make it a free steam game for a week or weekend with a sugnifficent price reduction.

Lowering the price has it advantages, if the price is lower people have a tendency to buy the game, regardless if it is a piece of crap they might be buying, or if they might not like it.

Back in the day where games were 50 euro's to buy, I got dissapointed by one game after the other, last game I ever bought out of "impulse" was star trek online, 50 euro's for a mmorpg, threw it away the same day, unfortunately, a lot of people like me have that same experience, and now on, I never pay for a game that has a high price unless I am absolutely sure it is worth it.
    The gaming industry thinks people are all some kind of fools but in the end it's they that are feeling the sting, (EA games, THQ) that manage to bring one crappy game after another, expecting the full price for it.

Anyhow, I think this is a win win win situation,
    - The community will grow
    - UWE makes a extra buck of it
    - People will feel less robbed of their money
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "add some buyable weapon skins and stuff into the game"
    *uninstall* Sorry but I hate when they do that :(
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2's been on so many sales, while I think it would be nice to reduce the price as the OP has requested, in a way, it makes those sales all the more "special".

Also, Reinforcement Program is practically the 2nd request you have there.

http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Melancor wrote: »
    There is SO much information about NS2 out there, you can't possibly "not know" the game if you care. Also, 20 Euros is NOTHING, so don't stop whining about it. Your offensive tone upsets me....

His offensive tone, your response... brain explosion.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm gonna get right back into playing once we get a half-decent team balance tool. Right now it's always the tired "ugh this looks stacked... nobody is joining aliens, it's been 5min already..." Hopefully that promising thing from whatever that thread was is gonna pull thru.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Not sure I understand the thread title...

"...when you have sucked enough money out of NS2..." "...add some buyable weapon skins..."?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Remind me to never ask the_tick to manage a business for me.
    O, the idealism.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited April 2014
    I do think it's 100% worth the money, but for an indie game that is not new anymore, in an ocean of other indie games, not to mention all the big studio games that receive tons of exposure - I think customers need more incentive to actually purchase it. Why would they buy some random game called Natural Selection 2 when they come across it in the steam store over some other random game?

They should buy it over some other random game, and we know that, but they don't. Sure, there's information out there on what ns2 is about, but until you experience it hands on you won't know if it's worth the money. And without proper marketing, that information likely isn't going to reach most potential customers, unless spread through word-of-mouth or some other way (e.g. lets plays).

Also, despite the fact that for most of us in the forums here who have a lot of playtime clocked in on the game it's worth much more than the current pricetag, for a lot of people it simply isn't - whether it's because they can't get over the initial hurdle to enjoy the gameplay, or that's not the issue and they're disappointed for other reasons.

I think the pricetag is fair. But the reality is that the playerbase is dwindling, and it might be high-time to start prioritizing incentivizing sales over making money off them. I do think that the person who made the point that it would make all the sales seem less special - this is correct. But, perhaps I may be wrong here, but it just feels like there's very little player retention from those sales.

My preference would actually be for UWE to take this game F2P, although I understand all the reasons why a lot of people are against it. Regardless, I think there's other options for revenue streams that ns2 could and should be taking advantage of that UWE should switch their focus to. I don't know what the reality is re:finances, but I can't see the current sales figures making a substantial impact towards UWE's profits, so there's really no reason to keep the price the way it is, if reducing it will get more people playing the game. Unless the money they're making off ns2 sales currently is critical to keeping them afloat (which would be bad bad news considering the honeymoon is over), I see more benefit in doing everything possible to sustaining a healthy and committed customer base. If dropping the price would mean more people played the game, then I think it is the way to go at this point.

The reinforcement program was a step in the right direction regarding other ways ns2 can make money, and I actually like the idea of characterizing it as a donation program and setting the prices high (it makes a lot of sense given the niche market ns2 is in, and how fanatical the playerbase is) - but I feel an opportunity was squandered to follow up on this, and offer more, and thus more alternatives for revenue streams.
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    The reinforcement program is only attractive for the current community of ns2. And the reinforcement program has proven people are willing to buy customized skins for a price. But the reinforcement program does not attract new players to the game. The current price of the game is a big problem. Times change, markets aswell, and in the past 2-3 years a lot has changed in the gaming industry.

How about making the game 5 euro's (dollars) . IF you attract 3 more buyers for the game, the developer gets his money out of it aswell, and it will give a boost to the community, Personally, what would increase sales the most is making the thing F2P and focus on a store where you can buy ingame skins, it is some work, no doubt about that, but I think it is well worth it, Maybe NS2 Combat can be integrated in that fashion aswell.

• PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Please close this thread. OP is delusional.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I like how a Tick is talking about the life being sucked out of something
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The biggest issue from the beginning of ns2 is that the gameplay simply is not refined enough to stick players with the game. Add the fact that the performance is still subpar, network code still not been refined and the game does not have this fluid feel to it you push even more players away from the game.

NS2 has made a lot of progress since the beta days. However if you don't get players attention in a game during the first 1-3 play sessions they are never going to play the game again without a friend telling them to. This means that the players that bought the game a year ago and left will probably not play again. Players that saw interest in ns2 have already bought the game and reducing the price/placing the game on a special sale now days won't be enough to bring the player numbers back up again.

I believe the best way would be going f2p model for ns2. There are a lot of reasons for this but I can name a few:
    **Huge surge of new players, these players will be able to bring their friends with them with ease since the game is free, greatly increasing the enjoyment they get from the game.
    **Less frustration from performance issues, high skill ceiling and bugs. When you pay for a game you expect to get instant enjoyment with no effort out of the product you just bought, when the game is free there is less frustration and players are generally more open to try out new things.
    **More players the game gets faster it grows, if the game is solid enough to sustain players word of mouth will constantly bring in new players.

These are just few simple pointers but I could probably write for hours what potential ns2 has for this. By increasing the player numbers you can do reinforce program regularly to fund the game with interesting in-game rewards. The money from these dontation have to be put to better use though than a single overpriced map(Eclipse), focusing on improving the engine, gamecode and the tools that the players can use to make better content. If more work would be put into the spark SDK we would be seeing much more maps flying around.

Changing the game f2p without some work will not be enough, UWE needs to commit to ns2 to make it work. Doing it half way would be just as bad and than not doing anything at this point. I still believe ns2 can be the strongest FPS game on the market with ease by simply refining what we have right now and fix the underlying issues that have been present since the beta days.
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When you make the Shadow Tier Skins available for 3 bucks, I'll be pissed! Like BORDERLINE angry