Gaming mice...

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited April 2014 in Off-Topic
Since my mouse broke a month ago I've been playing with some 10€ crap... and I figured it's time to get a proper replacement now. And this time, I wanted to make a proper, well-informed decision!
Welp. Turns out that's not easy (duh). I know pretty much what I want: As a high-sens fingertip-grip player I'd like to have a small to medium sized and light mouse (and a thumb button would be nice. I'm right-handed). Frankly, I don't care that much about sensors, because I'm really not good enough to notice the difference, anyway, but obviously flawless is better here.

But I have no idea where to start searching. I can't seem to find an up-to-date list of mice which includes physical properties... and most information I can find on the internet are threads like these which mostly cover individual mice, so not really what I'm looking for :\

Anyone got tips?

Comments

• craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe that's not the answer you want to hear but: Go to your local computer store and try different mice. The stores in my Location have several gaming mice to try (razor, logitech, etc.).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    craZyfx wrote: »
    Maybe that's not the answer you want to hear but: Go to your local computer store and try different mice. The stores in my Location have several gaming mice to try (razor, logitech, etc.).

I probably won't get around it... although they tend to have limited choices here, I think.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2014
    Hey Ford, do you have a fry's electronics? I think there is a Canadian equivalent... If your anything like me, you hate going to the store unless you know what your in there to buy.
    I wish I could give you advice but I tinker so... I have a mx dual optical shell with g400 internals. The Mx series shape is a must for me... <what a loser.
    Logitech build quality is the bottom of the barrel as of late. The g400 or whatever they call it nowadays with their improved sensor (whooooooopie!), is not engineered correctly where it holds the USB cable to secure it into the body. So the cable takes a dump from the stress. The Mx series mouse had a much higher quality cable... the 10$ usd logitech cheapo has the same cable as their g400economy.
    I wish I could recommend a mouse to you, but I don't think we would be cool with each other after if i did.

Oh yeah the new logitech bodies I've seen develop polish after they wear through the PAINT on left mouse clicker. GRRRRR!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nope, no fry's electronics in germany...
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2014
    MX518 (G500S nowadays)
    SnX wrote: »
    MX518 (G500S nowadays)

Seems a bit clunkier what I'm searching for, but I will consider it. Thanks.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    You want a mouse with a flawless sensor. There are only a few that exist, even in the so-called "gaming mice" industry.

I give you two choices. Anything besides these two would most likely be a mistake.

1) Anything made by Zowie

2) Logitech G400 (with the correct serial number, do your research)

(As an aside, I did very well with a RAT7 before I retired it. RAT7 has issues with lift-off, but I loved the weight and feel.)
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    You want a mouse with a flawless sensor. There are only a few that exist, even in the so-called "gaming mice" industry.

I give you two choices. Anything besides these two would most likely be a mistake.

(As an aside, I did very well with a RAT7 before I retired it. RAT7 has issues with lift-off, but I loved the weight and feel.)

Alright. I will look up the sensors of those. Any tips on how to find a lightweight medium sized mouse without actually going to the store?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    Go to cmstorm.com or razerzone.com

They both got good selection of gaming peripherals.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Squishpoke wrote: »

Alright. I will look up the sensors of those. Any tips on how to find a lightweight medium sized mouse without actually going to the store?

Zowie EC1 eVo:
    Length: 128 mm
    Width: 43 mm
    Height: 62-70 mm
    Weight: 97 g

Zowie EC2 eVo:
    Length: 120 mm
    Width: 40 mm
    Height: 58-65 mm
    Weight: 93 g

Zowie MICO:
    Length: 98 mm
    Width: 58 mm
    Height: 35 mm
    Weight: 68 g

Logitech G400:
    Width: 73 mm
    Length: 131 mm
    Height: 43 mm
    Weight 137 g
    Also: if you are a high-sens player you should get heavier mouse, so they can stop on a dime.
  • KouDyKouDy Join Date: 2013-07-08 Member: 185990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Logitech G700 is one of the best options you have really.
    If you want something that is with cord (then you can simply leave G700 attached all the time :) ) then Roccat Kone XTD is basically buffed up Kone+. Lot of functions and superior software Roccat supplies (best mouse software i've seen by a long shot).

My personal advice is to stay away from Razer products as far as you can.
    Thanks, I will look into all of those.

I actually had a XTD, but I feel it was slightly too big. And one day it just stopped working after a computer restart.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Despite all the negatives of Razer, I've really liked Abyssus as the basic small sized no-nonsense mouse. It's cheap, it fits my hand, it seems very responsive, precise and consistent as far as I can tell. It's not necessarily the most durable mouse out there, but it's very affordable (seen below 30 euros in Finland) and covers the basic mouse stuff more than sufficiently. The biggest downside for me is the lack of any extra buttons (just 2 buttons and a wheel). You can get away with the lack of buttons in FPS, but for example in Dota 2 I wouldn't mind having an extra option or two.

On a quick googling Abyssus seems to be pretty dependend on the mousepad surface though. I've had two Abyssuses paired up with a really worn out eXactMat and they've worked as good as any mouse I've ever had. Both mice are still also working nicely, I've just worn out the skates on older one so I bought another and let the worn out to retire to a backup status, at least until I can figure out where I can find some new skates for it.

In general I feel a bit uncomfortable recommending Razer stuff to anyone because of all the flak they seem to be getting, but during some 10+ years of heavy duty gaming I think I've had about 5 Razer mice and only Copperhead has been a bad one. The synapse driver policy seems pretty bad, but so far I've managed to stick to less intrusive legacy drivers quite alright.

Does anyone here actually have bad first hand experience with Razer? I still can't figure out whether I'm somehow oblivious to the issues or whether I've just got really lucky with the individual products.

---

A lot of the Logitech stuff suggested here is nice if you like a palm grip, but at least I can't see myself swinging one with high sens and claw or fingertip gripped. Also cordless stuff still makes me feel really uncomfortable, even thought I'm not sure if there's any rationale for it these days. If someone actually has first hand experience on any of the new cordless stuff or Logitech as a high sens claw/fingertip mice, by all means listen to them and not me though.