Cyberdyne.sys - Douchebags free

skynetskynet Moon Join Date: 2014-01-09 Member: 192880Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited March 2014 in Server Discussion
Hello ns2 community,

I've been playing ns2 for a bit over 4 months now and my biggest concern was the enormous amount of griefers/trolls/douchebags ruining games for everyone. So I started my own server with the intent of getting rid of this plague and building a place where everyone can enjoy a game without getting harassed by these individuals.

It started out as a very modest project but I see a lot of players coming back, keeping the server filled at all times and enjoy what I've built, playing (mostly) balanced games and helping out rookies in a friendly environment.

Anyone with a hostile attitude or griefing intentions gets permanently banned and the current ban list is already over 25 people long :(

The server is an 18+4 slots hosted in Italy on a decent connection and a dedicated overclocked linux machine so it should have low latency for most of the EU countries.

Reserved slots are also available at cyberdynesys.tk for anyone who feels like contributing ^^

Current features:
- Admined (obviously xD)
- NS2stats tracking
- Map vote
- AFK kicker
- Elo rating balance
- Badges!

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi skynet, good effort, thanks.
    Right now the server is nicely filled. I get 120ping though, and thats from the Netherlands. Kinda weird.
    Anyway, will check it out later tonight.
  • skynetskynet Moon Join Date: 2014-01-09 Member: 192880Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hello again,

I'm happy to say that the server is doing really well thanks to a growing number of regular players ^^

The list of banned players is unfortunately growing as well, with as much as over 80 players currently :(

I've made some changes as well:

- Moved the server to a more powerful machine: tickrate is stable at 30 now
    - 30h of playtime required for commanding
    - NS2+ mod installed (better hud and new alien visions)
    - Quake style killstreak announcer (awwyeah)

Thanks to everyone who keeps joining and filling up the slots and a special thanks to Valo and trig? for donating to this project! You're all awesome :D
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    skynet wrote: »
    Dealbreaker!
  • skynetskynet Moon Join Date: 2014-01-09 Member: 192880Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hamlet wrote: »
    skynet wrote: »
    Dealbreaker!

lol. you can disable it via console, just type sh_disablesounds ^^

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    I rarely see griefers and trolls. Any server with competent admins is almost troll-free.
    I'm afraid that's not the case for most of the EU servers: I barely see any admin on the most popular servers and griefing/trolling is rampant. Just yesterday I had a perfectly good 12 vs 12 on another server ruined by a troll comm that kept rejoining after the votekick...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    That means the server does not have competent/active admins.

Anyways, you look around, and if you are good at telling if it's a good server, you play with it. Requires a bit of experience to tell if it's a good server.
    Yup that's what I'm saying man, most EU servers have no admin. Which is way i set mine up ^^
  • PavelPavel Join Date: 2014-02-20 Member: 194169Members
    Sounds like u proud to have so a huge ban list. Why u ban people directly without any warning, why u not just kick them or give them any warning and let the education effect do his work? So u play ns2 over 4 month long and now u are a "pro cheater detector"? And now u think u can spectate players 3 mins and know that they using wallhacks and aimbots? A guy wich kills u 3 times in a row is definitly a cheator, cause after 4 month u pro and only cheaters can do that now? U dont give this guys any chance to proof that they are innocent. U say trolls etc ruin the game, but admins ruin the game with their arbitrary rage bans. Me alone knows 4 people u banned for "cheating", they all play at ensl teams and never become suspect for cheating. Ur ban (cheat) list is a joke, perhaps like ur skill... Best for u i think u ban all people wich ever joins ur server, so their is no danger that u play with trolls, hackers etc.... Sry for bad english.
    edited April 2014
    Hi there,

I was expecting a raging post anytime to be honest and here it is xD I was hoping someone with a better grasp of the english language would write it but I'll do my best in deciphering what you wrote ^^

First of all, I'm not "proud" of having a long banlist, it just shows how bad the pub community really is, which is why i started the server in the first place.

"Educating" people it's not my job, if they behave like assholes, they get banned, it's as simple as that. I do notify everyone that recycling IPs or any other form of griefing will not be tolerated and I'm not gonna spend time warning them more than once.

As for the "i ban people for killing me" accusation, I say that's complete bullshit. The only people banned for cheating are actually 2: a russian guy with a rookie tag that was clearly speedhacking, moving about 10x faster than anything constantly. The other person, i don't remember the name, was able to shoot cloaked players and structures without any way of hearing them as well as never missing a single bullet.
    I have friends who can be defined as "pro" as well as over 2,000h spent on this game and it's pretty clear when someone is just good or when someone is cheating: the way they move and how they track other players. The person in question never missed a single shot and could track anything with artificial perfection.

I think that sums it up, if you have any more baseless accusations you're welcome to write here :D

PS: I take this opportunity to thank Anthrax and Nami for donating to this project and everyone who regularly joins my server! You guys are awesome :D:D:D