The other UWE booth game at PAX

13»

Comments

• RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    I'm in if you guys have blackmesa and faceoff!
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm looking forward to see what you have been working on. Can you tell us anything about the new features?

I run a server with the current Combat mod. Will there be any more updates of that mod? I understand that you don't want to add new features but will there be bug fixes?
  • cpt000cpt000 Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187152Members
    SupaFred wrote: »

I run a server with the current Combat mod. Will there be any more updates of that mod? I understand that you don't want to add new features but will there be bug fixes?

It looks like Faultline has nothing to do with the existing mod and are purely concentrating on their own version of combat, which is a separate software program. Existing bug reports can be posted to the combat thread of the modding sub forum.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Combat being popular is good news. Maybe it can raise that 500 hardcore base we have in ns2.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    cpt000 wrote: »
    SupaFred wrote: »

It looks like Faultline has nothing to do with the existing mod and are purely concentrating on their own version of combat, which is a separate software program. Existing bug reports can be posted to the combat thread of the modding sub forum.

Ehm, they are the guys who made the ns2 combat mod.
    So since they have now decided to make it stand alone i wouldnt count on any updates anymore.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    acid_rain wrote: »
    ..providing additional gameplay modes like Capture The Flag (Quake 2 style with powerups)......

I was just about to start remaking Proving Grounds after GorgeCraft release. But now it seems like a waste of time.

Out of interest, how will you stop modders from just lifting the lua code you have written, and tinkering with it to get it working for NS2?

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Out of interest, how will you stop modders from just lifting the lua code you have written, and tinkering with it to get it working for NS2?
    I was wondering about the same. My best guess is the copyright approach... you can technically copy their code, but you are not allowed to re-distribute it.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    New abilities and weapons, hurrah!

But what do you guys think the effect of this (for NS2 and the existing playerbase) is going to be?

I'm not making any reservations on this, all I know is I cant wait to tase some lerks mid-flight ;D
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    acid_rain wrote: »
    ..providing additional gameplay modes like Capture The Flag (Quake 2 style with powerups)......

I was just about to start remaking Proving Grounds after GorgeCraft release. But now it seems like a waste of time.

Because this is likely more than just a LUA fueld mod.
    I would assume they have access to modify spark itself which means you cant clone this version of combat by simply
    lifting its LUA portion.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Is the standalone coming directly from the mod ?
    I tried it yesterday but I thought I was playing the regular combat mod ( I only save myself for regular ns2 : )
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The standalone is coming from the same mod team, but they are now a company. The game itself however has been re-written.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited April 2014
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    Is the standalone coming directly from the mod ?
    I tried it yesterday but I thought I was playing the regular combat mod ( I only save myself for regular ns2 : )
    You were playing the server-side ns2 combat modded servers. This combat standalone isn't released.

And it's not really directly coming from the mod... they are adding and changing quite a bit. From my understanding, it'll be closer to playing the non-standalone ns1 combat mod but using the new features and models in ns2