Build 264 now live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »
    was there any time you decided that hey, maby we should adress this issue in DOCKING FIXED BUILD:

Or was it never concidered a "Critical docking exploit", since u fixed all those apperantly...
    Maby its held back for a final third Qlimatic fix in 265, where we all can play docking as we used to?

This has been attempted to be fixed multiple times, I'll make sure it's fixed correctly this time.

"B265 - Bilebomb removed from game"
    There, fixed! :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    So I wonder if this will be the build we get until PAX is over.
    There will be no build until after PAX
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Thnx for the confirmation, Now I can stop creeping these forums waiting for a new patch for a few days :P
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    Just give Samus n the rest of the crew some yellow. Otherwise, some people won't realize that people ARE working on the bugs/game, and they do, in fact, respond. Just not many of the devs.

It doesn't work that easily, as then everything a person like me says, is officially interpreted as UWE saying it, and extra attention. While I wouldn't decline if I was offered it, it would mean I would have to be more careful to what I say and how I say it so it doesn't reflect poorly on UWE (which I do anyways)

K green color. IDC! Your post proves that people don't read some of the mods notes... so you should get some type of color as a mod. Yellow, green, purple (?!?!), IDC lol
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members

They'll probably release the patch tomorrow, later in the day, and have something go wrong. And since people are going to PAX they won't be able to "fix" it for 4-5 days. This is how UWE usually delivers.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Thnx for the confirmation, Now I can stop creeping these forums waiting for a new patch for a few days :P

You won't stop creeping around here. You can't help it!
    Guys just wait 27 more days. Gosh. :p
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    I want next patch bring back UWE server and have ASEAN server so china,thailand,hongkong players could play this game with out lag when fire shotgun againts multiple enemies :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    We dont have asian servers?!

Jesus christ guys, STARCRAFT IS KOREAS NATIONAL SPORT. Those little guys are like thousands of players that are more likely than the Yanks to actually stick with a complicated game like this!
    edited April 2014
    This thread makes me lawl. Can this b closed cuz we obviosly aren't talking about this build anymore? Maybe the new patch (????) will close the thread eventually... just... give a hotfix for now if the build is gonna take forever. Someone post a picture with some boobies so the devs see this!
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Your wish is my command.
    a picture with some boobies so the devs see this
    rQJ2GwM.jpg
    Literally.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    Just give Samus n the rest of the crew some yellow. Otherwise, some people won't realize that people ARE working on the bugs/game, and they do, in fact, respond. Just not many of the devs.

It doesn't work that easily, as then everything a person like me says, is officially interpreted as UWE saying it, and extra attention. While I wouldn't decline if I was offered it, it would mean I would have to be more careful to what I say and how I say it so it doesn't reflect poorly on UWE (which I do anyways)

Oh man, so true, that's why I decided to step down when I was handed moderation on our own CoD: WaW forums too. Particularly when you are hot headed like I am, people associate a person with an entity, sadly that's how it works and not many can see past that. Good luck though, and man if I was in charge, you'd be in the house already. *raises pint*
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited April 2014
    We dont have asian servers?!

Jesus christ guys, STARCRAFT IS KOREAS NATIONAL SPORT. Those little guys are like thousands of players that are more likely than the Yanks to actually stick with a complicated game like this!

Because that's a game where presses per minute exceed 9000 in tourneys, and unfortunately, NS2 doesn't have us do that.

Unfortunately again, our marine underlings expect us to do just that with medpaks during pubs.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Your wish is my command.
    rQJ2GwM.jpg
    Picture's got it all.

So win
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    The problem here is that seemingly simple fixes for severe issues are not being hot fixed (or fixed at all in a reasonable timeframe), choosing to leave the bugs in for an extended amount of time... It's normal people are not happy. Especially since we've had the same issue twice in a row. First docking, now mineshaft.
    Come now, be reasonable mendasp.

If they fixed mineshaft, tram would bug out. And when they go to fix eclipse, mineshaft will break again. You can't just go fixing things willy nilly. Look what happened when they fixed docking in the first place.

Are you calling UWE liars?
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Don't distribute NS2 in Korea. Look at LoL and StarCraft - we might as well hold NS2WC2015 in Seoul, then.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I've been working with the PT Leads and Samus on making sure the next patch is as solid as possible. It will not be released soon, it will be released when it is ready and has been playtested for weeks after a code lockdown to help ensure it's quality and stability.
    I appreciate the "test until it's solid" approach.

But as that may take some weeks to complete, please release a hotfix for the most pressing issues (especially Mineshaft) first.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    I disagree. This is exactly what we have now.
    Lemme quote a certain Obraxis, re: build 263
    The build has been taking a while to get out due to the amount of work needed for it. It's a big update and we all want it to go as smoothly as possible. The patch is being tested and worked on daily and will be out once it's golden brown on top. The Steam beta Hugh mentioned will help give feedback.

Did that sound familiar?

Instead of insane promises like "under my watch, there will never be a bug again" (seriously, just read this out aloud)
    While playtesters are not perfect and we occasionally do miss things, I can assure you one thing, I will do everything in my power to make sure that things are done correctly, things get done when they should, and ultimately, released bug free, no more silliness.

I've got huge respect for all contributors and their work, but this is the very definition of an unfulfillable promise. You never go full Molyneux!
    Making errors is human. Everybody can oversee something (insert unfunny heartbleed joke here), this shit happens.

The question is how you deal with the inevitable.
    Do you just wish it away or pretend that you are somehow above it so it doesn't apply to you?
    Or do you take errors into account and put measures into place to contain and - ultimately - deal with them?

I'd much rather see a mindset that does take errors into account instead of vacuous promises which can only fail miserably.

THIS would be a promise you could actually keep:
    Release a patch on a monday, then promise to wait and listen ~ 2-3 days for feedback (which should be plenty of time for things to crop up and be reported on the forum),
    then release a hotfix on thursday that only contains fixes for really easy things with a huge impact like that mineshaft navigation bug.

Set aside a bit of time to deal with the easiest-to-fix-but-biggest-pain-in-the-butt stuff (basically what Matso said).
    That's all I ask for.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    MrFangs wrote: »
    I've been working with the PT Leads and Samus on making sure the next patch is as solid as possible. It will not be released soon, it will be released when it is ready and has been playtested for weeks after a code lockdown to help ensure it's quality and stability.
    I appreciate the "test until it's solid" approach.

But as that may take some weeks to complete, please release a hotfix for the most pressing issues (especially Mineshaft) first.
    There is already one for Mineshaft.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Stuff

I want to be clear, I never promise that a patch will be without bugs. Then there would hardly be a need in patching anymore! What happened with 263 and 264 was unfortunate and due to a number of uncontrollable factors. While I cant say the next patch will be bug-free, I will say it will be a damn sight more tested to the max than those patches.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    i'm taking obraxis word for a perfect game in B265.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    B265 perfect build we've all been waiting for? Got it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    nezz wrote: »
    i'm taking obraxis word for a perfect game in B265.
    Locklear wrote: »
    B265 perfect build we've all been waiting for? Got it.

I ♥ you guys :)

• WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The thing that I don't understand is why we need a new build instead of a simple hotfix for one map. Push it in to steam and end of story....
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2014
    Walsa wrote: »
    The thing that I don't understand is why we need a new build instead of a simple hotfix for one map. Push it in to steam and end of story....

You see, the Universe needs to stay in a certain balance to retain it's cosmical harmony. Rushing to fix a map without caution will break this balance; thus, another map (by default docking) will feel the existential hole and slip into it, breaking. It takes weeks of concentrated effort for the mages at UWE to push the limits of this balance to the next level, allowing for an overall more fixed universe. (As this opposes entropy, everything is only temporary in the long term, of course. The trick is to move on to NS3 before entropy snaps back and destroys everything.)
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow

You see, the Universe needs to stay in a certain balance to retain it's cosmical harmony. Rushing to fix a map without caution will break this balance; thus, another map (by default docking) will feel the existential hole and slip into it, breaking. It takes weeks of concentrated effort for the mages at UWE to push the limits of this balance to the next level, allowing for an overall more fixed universe. (As this opposes entropy, everything is only temporary in the long term, of course. The trick is to move on to NS3 before entropy snaps back and destroys everything.)

in 10 billion years, Alien races will find b265, it will run as well as the engine test. Why? ENTROPY.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dictator93 wrote: »

in 10 billion years, Alien races will find b265, it will run as well as the engine test. Why? ENTROPY.

They'll start playing it and call it 'Kharaa vs Aliens'