Build 264 now live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I keep getting stuck in meat-grinder pgs now in this build, while before I was always able to jump out. Is this intentional?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    And I've heard people complain about getting stuck in idle players on IPs, even though that was something that we thoroughly tested to be fixed in a PT session quite a while ago.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Seems to happen on refinery with marine containment start often.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There has to be something seriously wrong with the process behind releasing an update when we repeatedly (every update) see a totally glaring issue surface that makes you wonder if the changelog wasn't just written by dipping notebook paper into a tin of spaghetti soup.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it intentional that Marine players (sometimes?) see hallucinations in bright purple on their map? I though the point was that they should be as indistinguishable as possible?
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Reduced variance in time updates between frames on the client (thanks Matso!) most needed change in NS2 history... Matso for UWE President.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    General stuck on re-spawned marines seems to be a problem, phase gates and IP's.... lost a whole game due to some dude stuck on the
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    in this patch, i've only ever seen the IP glitch on refinery. and it's (almost) always a containment start.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Are they ever going to fix the phase gate bug where it throws you back into the same room after you go through? I think they blamed it on server lag, but I never had it happen before until a few patches ago, now it happens all the time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ns2isgood‌
    If you find a way to reproduce it, please let us know.

I just spent a good 40 minutes yesterday on an official UWE server attempting to reproduce it with no luck.
    2,000 ms ping, 100% choke, max amount of macs being endlessly waypointed around the map.. Jumping through, standing in, crouching, repeated use... Nothing reproduced it.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Are they ever going to fix the phase gate bug where it throws you back into the same room after you go through? I think they blamed it on server lag, but I never had it happen before until a few patches ago, now it happens all the time.

I always thought this was down to the game being unable to find space at the other end of the gate. Usually I find it happens when there's already a few folks through it before me or when lots of rines are piling through. It definitely happens often either way.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ns2isgood‌

I just spent a good 40 minutes yesterday on an official UWE server attempting to reproduce it with no luck.
    2,000 ms ping, 100% choke, max amount of macs being endlessly waypointed around the map.. Jumping through, standing in, crouching, repeated use... Nothing reproduced it.
    @ironhorse, It only happens to me when at least one marine just went through before me, and I try to follow them immediately after.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That could be why I was unable to reproduce it myself - so I'll give that a try thanks
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    edited March 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ns2isgood‌

@ironhorse, It only happens to me when at least one marine just went through before me, and I try to follow them immediately after.

Yeah. It's rare but noticable normally when there's a traffic jam of marines because one PG is under attack and everyone is trying to get through.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Given how long it has taken them to fix mineshaft the issue is either really big or they no longer really care anymore b/c relying on workshop maps when they have not fixed the workshop bugs is a joke.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Given how long it has taken them to fix mineshaft the issue is either really big or they no longer really care anymore b/c relying on workshop maps when they have not fixed the workshop bugs is a joke.

The mineshaft issue was not complicated at all.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am actually quite curious what the next update will bring in many categories. It is obviously not just some simple bug fix.

1. Game balance update
    2. Engine update? (one can hope!)
    3. Content update (aesthetic or just gameplay?)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The whole thing is bizarre to me. An official map is very clearly broken and it's very clearly easy to fix seeing as SamusDroid was able to get a hotfix mod out very shortly after the patch. Not sure why another hotfix update wasn't possible. Even if UWE no longer wants to devote any of its time to this sort of thing, they should just let Samus and other dedicated community members have access to the full source code so that the community can take care of the game itself.

Hoping that 265 hits soon and that it comes with fixes for this, as well as other bugs that have gone on for too long like the skulk loudness. would also love some balance changes, particularly making fade upgrades a bit more useful and the evolution chamber, but I'm not getting my hopes up based on the sparseness of recent patches
    current1y wrote: »

The mineshaft issue was not complicated at all.

If that was true then it means the devs either wanted mineshaft to work that way now or they think that the workshop system actually works in its current form reliably enough for a mod solution to not be viewed as a poision pill (hint risk to your server is not worth having the modded version the chances of losing your server to file not found glitch are too high) or they just do not even care.

Regardless if which it is all are very troubling so I am going to assume that either this change is a feature or that the actual problem is a lot more complicated and they are holding off until they can implement a real solution. (or at least this is what I will believe to keep my sanity)
    MrFangs wrote: »
    They once stated that the overhead of creating a release is pretty high, which is why they try to avoid hotfix releases whenever possible. This is far more likely the cause than the fix itself.

That being said, I'm puzzled why they don't use the modding system to publish hotfixes with less overhead. Just create a single official mod ("UWE Tweaks&Fixes" or something) and install it on all official servers - most community servers will probably follow. Just update it when a small fix is needed, and when the fix is moved into a stable release, reset the mod to empty content. Problem solved.

(Servers running it should still count as unmodded, and it might be reasonable to hide it from the server's mod list as it is not really a "mod".)

If they did that it would be nice but more so because it would actually force them to implement a working mod system ie fix the simple problems their current implementation has so that we can have some automated recovery from workshop errors.

• DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited April 2014
    Game's pretty much dying now, build 263 dealt some pretty fatal blows.

nVHOU5S.png
    Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/4920
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Game's pretty much dying now, build 263 dealt some pretty fatal blows.
    nVHOU5S.png
    Source: http://steamcharts.com/app/4920
    Nah, those 500 are going to play for years.

I have 1,5k hours and still not bored. Not at all. In fact, I'm still dying to play some NS2 after work.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @DarkflameQ‌
    Actually the numbers look within acceptable non-steam-sale boundries.
    graph.png
    It just feels like it's emptying as we haven't had a sale in a little while :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @DarkflameQ‌
    graph.png

Speaking of which, NS2 is in the humble bundle yet again.
    edited April 2014
    @DarkflameQ‌
    graph.png

Speaking of which, NS2 is in the humble bundle yet again.
    lmao i know right.

Fill the servers up with more $1 noobs, that's exactly what this game needs...
    nezz wrote: »
    small or big hotfix. the thing is. UWE should not leave a "favourite" pub map unplayable for a long period of time while (expecting??????) community modders to fix it.

Talking about Mineshaft or Docking?

Because UWE left both of them broke for weeks...
    edited April 2014
    And lmao @ the disagrees, you hardcore loyalists are so predictable! :P

Why can't you guys admit that 263 was a god awful update and caused a lot of people both regulars and new to stop playing?

264 addressed a lot of the issues but damage is done now, only hope this game has got is when they stop updating it and the mods are allowed to thrive without interference.
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    And lmao @ the disagrees, you hardcore loyalists are so predictable! :P

Why can't you guys admit that 263 was a god awful update and caused a lot of people both regulars and new to stop playing?

264 addressed a lot of the issues but damage is done now, only hope this game has got is when they stop updating it and the mods are allowed to thrive without interference.
    Well you claimed the game is 'dying' and cherry-picked data only since the last sale as your source. Whether or not I agree or disagree with you is irrelevant to me, you used a misleading subset of data to try and support yourself and that's what I disagree with.