>That feel when your com goes shade hive

FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
Who else LOVES this feel?

Shave hive is so fun to play with. It's the only hive that makes me feel like a predator. There's nothing better than pouncing from the ceiling on unsuspecting marines, or waiting for a trio of marines to run by and then taking them all down silently starting with the guy in the back.

I always ask for shade hive at the start of the round. Most of the time the com refuses and goes with the boring crag hive or shift hive. Of course, the com always says, "Well, personally I like shade hive, but no one knows how to use it right so we won't go for it". Well how is anyone supposed to learn how to use it if coms are afraid to drop it?

Crag and shift hives are nice, but they don't change how the game is played. Yea, you're faster and can take more damage, but you still basically play the same way. Shade hive completely alters the flow and pace of the game, along with the approach to enemy encounters.

Plus now that hallucinations have been buffed, the drifter ability for shade hive is actually useful.

So, why don't you go shade hive when you com?

Comments

• RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shift and crag are just more flexible in public games. The added bonus of speed or durability in the middle of combat especially when trying to push a base far outweighs the potential risk that shade hive might involve. Get a team that can use it then it's good but a team that doesn't? Usually means gg.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am personally having a weird reaction to the more numerous shade hive starts. I haven't been liking it; the weird part is I loved shade hive before it got buffed. Upon reflection I realized I liked shade before because it was rare, it was something different. I don't like as much now because I am not practiced with it. I will get over it pretty quick though.

I do wonder what the skill ceiling is with shade hive.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shade still hard to play in pubs. The buff to hallucination is nice, but not a big game changer on a bigger than 6v6 setting imho. Map control should be easier with shade, as you should win the stealth battle, but it isn't as the comm and drop scans to strategic locations and nullify your advantage in stealth. Will delay marine tech ofcourse (but not in a pub as there are more players). eg. 2 skulks holding a room, 3 marines come in, if they are ok shots 1 marine will probably survive and 2 dead skulks (risky for aliens). Where as if you went crag or shift hive, you are faster or tougher, so may survive the battle and win or at least run away after a kill. Also, unless you drop 3 veils the bonus isn't really that noticeable, so your starting res is all gone (can't fast expand with structures). If you go crag or shift, the drifter ability (enzyme or mucus) are good in their own right, and being able to Echo structures out is just useful any stage of the game.

Lastly, I don't get my hive researched until a few minutes in now (as res is better spent else where), and a late shade hive isn't an option as entrenched marine position with a obs will nullify any advantage shade will give.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Who else LOVES this feel?

Shave hive is so fun to play with"

.... must ... attempt .. not ... to ... make ...lewd ... comment ...

mmmmmmmmmm , fuzzy peaches. Doh!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I have too agree with the OP to some point. Shade is the only chamber that gives you new abilities,; phantom/aura skulk vs normal skulk and aura fade/lerk just plays differently (in my personal opinion, better with shade).(Have you ever seen a early midgame/midgame lerk with aura? Those can be devastating.)
    Usually, the I miss the shade upgrades in longer games most, as there are many comms who don't even bother with them even if you have three haves, as "we are about to win, anyway". That's why it usually stays a gimmick for endgame.

However, when I actually khamm I usually go shift-crag; Mostly because you get called out by experienced players on shade second; while nobody ever explained to me why exactly, shade second somehow seems to suck, and I don't want to go shade first as adrenaline and celerity are just too important.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    It changes the pace of the opening game, less so once the reins can afford scans or extra observatories. It works very well on some maps, but, like most things people prefer the normal path.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Seeing many, many more comms go shade hive lately. It's now a very serious opener, and since the old days comms seem to have forgotten that scans will save your marines asses when camoskulks are about :D

And what's more, shade hive makes fading a total adrenaline rush. If you dont have 2nd hive ups yet, phantom or aura fade are deadly!
    The added bonus is, you may not have adrenaline, but you at least have shade toys to play with while you get used to conserving energy properly.

Since fading on shade 1st games a couple of times, I can now comfortably go celerity fade when it's shift 1st. I'll never go back to shitty adren fade now :D
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    Missing out on carapace/adrenaline fade really hurts though
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Celerity regen ftw tbh (well regen until W2 shotties at least)
  • DraconisDraconis Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13722Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Growing fond of crag 1st, shade 2nd. Fades have to adapt but a cautious cara/aura fade wont get killed easily. Also mucous membrane + hallucinations complete nullify your problems to close in. It requires heavy drifter usage but is really worth it.
  • jackson7jackson7 France Join Date: 2013-10-05 Member: 188594Members
    I often go Shade Hive second because :
    1) Shift is the most important IMO (celerity for skulks, adrenaline for lerks, echo)
    2) I don't use mucus membrane that much (it costs A TON OF TRes) so I usually get crag last
    3) I think Aura on higher lifeforms (tactical advantage) is way stronger than more armor (you are more efficient in combat because you know which marine to focus and you are less likely to be trapped)
    4) Shade Hive is a natural counter to ARCs. It delays their effect sooo much, giving your team time to react.
    5) Hallucinations are better than mucus membrane in case of aliens packplaying IMO (more targets means more bullets lost in vain, wich is better than a bit more armor)

I don't go Shade Hive first in pub games except if I know that people who are playing will know how to use cloak / aura. When you go Shade Hive, people tend to play defensive instead of offensive, which is the last thing you want your aliens to do.
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    Lately I feel quite a number of comms have been dropping shade first and y'know I do find it a tonne of fun spending the first act of the game pretending I'm an ambush predator. Maybe it works best on pub servers with less transient/higherskillfloor/morepeoplethatknowtheirshit populations but it's always a laugh.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    personally, i go the normal shift first, then shade 2nd. and just drop more crag stations to make up for lack of regen. aura is just so damn useful as lerk/fade. as someone said before, less chance of getting trapped, pick off low hp targets.

i WOULD go shade first if i know the players won't go all defense mode like someone else said.

also, for skulks, even if they use scans, the silence is deadly, people forget how much you rely on listening to sounds in this game.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Often the main reason I don't go shade first as a khamm is that I know who the marine comm is and that he knows how to counter it.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Shade hive cannot really be countered... per say. Yes you can counter cloaking but those skulks still have silence. Higher lifeforms are still very effective with aura and hallucs no longer pop with scans. Shade hive is definitely viable now. The problem that pub games run into has been covered a few times in this thread. Inexperienced pubbers play pure defense with camo... as well as camo-walking across the entire map.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've seen lots of shade hives first lately as well, but it has seemed they've mostly gone the same way. Aliens do well at first, but if marines can figure it out early and get scans/obs, shade doesn't scale as well w/ marine tech. If they delay 2nd hive and hit res, denying cara/regen and celerity/adren to higher lifeforms, teched-up marines will melt aliens. Feel like it can be a strong 2nd hive, ink is SO useful against arcs, but you don't usually see those early game.

Also I sometimes feel naked w/ out enzyme mist or mucus membrane to spam.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    I find shade hive to be the most fun. While other hive are just 'you do things you did, but faster/longer', as in move faster, use abilities for longer time, survive more bullets, regenerate faster (still too slow). Shade gives you something you haven't had before.

Personally, I find crag hive to be the most boring. Lifeforms: more hp. Crag: heal. Crag ability: heal faster. Adds absolutely nothing *new* to play with, just ensures longer survival.
    Shift hive is vital in any game (no way it can be 3rd), but only cool *new* thing it adds is echo. And echo is really really fun, if utilized well.
    Now shaaade. Oh. Two upgrades to choose from that both give you something you haven't had before. If carapace would help you survive a few more bullets, aura or phantom would help you avoid those bullets in first place. New hallucinations are tons of fun to play with. And ink, that can counter arcs, it is awesome.

Shade first completely changes gameplay for both sides. It is absolutely awesome. People just have to learn to use it well, I know it kinda sucks to be gorge without adrenaline, skulk without celerity or onos without carapace, I mean, stuff you used to always have, but once you learn how cool shade abilities are, you will be able to have fun with any upgrade combo.

Note: speaking about pubs.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Shade is really good starting hive for pub if your players know how to be sneaky and utilize it. Sadly, most don't know how to and just give you an ear beating for it. Then there are those people that will literally complain about it every chance they get and slowly ruin the morale of the team.

"We can't do X because we have Shade", "Dude, you never go shade hide first because X", "You're a noob for going shade we need X trait to fight off the Marines properly". Blah, blah, blah...

I can't stand these types of players.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    People still whine when they see me go shade hive. Maybe they don't realize how good hallucinations are now.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Shade starts are dependent on your teammates. Some players can utilize it well while others cannot.

As for me I absolutely love shade starts.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    Shade hive cannot really be countered... per say. Yes you can counter cloaking but those skulks still have silence. Higher lifeforms are still very effective with aura and hallucs no longer pop with scans. Shade hive is definitely viable now. The problem that pub games run into has been covered a few times in this thread. Inexperienced pubbers play pure defense with camo... as well as camo-walking across the entire map.

Awesome! I look forward to watching more scrims and matches utilizing shade first on twitch.tv.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    jackson7 wrote: »
    1) Shift is the most important IMO (celerity for skulks, adrenaline for lerks, echo
    Who in their right mind would ever not choose celerity for the paper-lerk??
    Shade1st is pretty map dependant though, I find.
    Currently veil is one of the best maps to shade first on. Ink can delay the usually-indefensible arc nano pushes to the point where you can often get up a second hive AND hold nano long enough for bile (if youre doing 2 hive bile). Shits all over the usual trade-nano-for-techpoint thing that plays out for aliens
    Plus it's a super easy map for aliens to zone if they come out on top in the initial enagements.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also, I silence can compete with celerity in terms of reaching places fast in certain situation. With celerity it is like: very fast, very fast, sneak, sneak, sneak so marines won't hear you. With silence it's: fast, fast, fast, fast, fast.
    Now, celerity + phantom... uber fast all the time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »
    by
    jackson7 wrote: »
    1) Shift is the most important IMO (celerity for skulks, adrenaline for lerks, echo
    Who in their right mind would ever not choose celerity for the paper-lerk??

I get Adren (only) when I have spores and umbra :D

As a lerk you are rather squishy, so dodging and knowing when to leave the room are more important than "just one more bite".. And celerity assists with both of those - while adrenaline just encourages you to stay in that room longer than you probably should (if you are using enough energy to justify adrenaline in the first place)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @IronHorse‌

By the time I get adren over celerity, I'd never enter a room without a meatshield/bullet sponge (aka teammates)

make 1 pass of spores right after everyone else enters the room, then hang back and umbra/spike until my meatshields (teammates) die or run away.

Its amazing how much a pack of mouths full of teeth motivates a marine to not aim at the lerk :D
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    definitely not in many cases.

Any map with only 3 techpoints, not counting marine start. The chance to get locked outside a crag or shift hive is way to big.
    Also other comms often go shade hive... and then dont use any hallucinations. They do this preferably on a map like veil and wonder why we have a hard time.. hmm. I wonder.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Silence is even more useful than normal now that skulks are unbelievably loud.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Did skulks sound get ninja fixed last build? Either that or I have just become accustomed to it.