[Linux] b262 doesn't start

Comments

• abelthorneabelthorne Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187171Members
    edited January 2014
    Ah, nice, some details. Good to know it's been identified. So now we just have to wait for AMD to fix the bug (sigh).
    Just for the record: problem still present with the new Catalyst 14.1 beta.
  • mintehminteh Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151389Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    ^ This. Hopefully a fix soon :(
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    with that speed we might have more luck with the open source/mesa/gallium driver... (currently the game is not supported and just closes immediately after starting it)
  • murraymurray Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175880Members, NS2 Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The 263 beta is still not working for me with the catalyst 14.1. Can someone else confirm it?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Any logs/ bts for 263 beta issues would be appreciated.
  • murraymurray Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175880Members, NS2 Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Its still the same error. I get a black screen after starting the game and these informations in the logfile. I think its still the same issue, that compiling the shaders run into a loop.
    Date: 02/12/2014
    Time: 08:16:53 PM:
    Build 263
    Arch Linux x86_64
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 2
    OpenGL 3.1.12780 Compatibility Profile/Debug Context 12.10.17 initialized (ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series )
    GLSL version 4.30
    ARB_texture_storage extension present
    ARB_get_program_binary extension present
    Disabling ARB_texture_storage extension to work around AMD drivers
    Sound Device: default stereo
    Record Device: default
    Compiling 'renderer/DeferredShading.shader'

But I've also noticed a lot of error messages in the console related to alsa and fontconfig.
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
    Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
    [0212/205212:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4920
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561198019308870 [API loaded no]
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '$CARD'
    ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
    ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
    ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
    ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=SB,DEV=0
    ALSA lib conf.c:4687:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters CARD=SB
    ALSA lib conf.c:4571:(parse_args) Unknown parameter DEV
    ALSA lib conf.c:4704:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.front.1:CARD=SB'
    ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.surround40.1:CARD=SB'
    ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib conf.c:4720:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.surround51.1:CARD=SB'
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.surround51.1:CARD=SB'
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.surround71.1:CARD=SB'
    ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.iec958.1:CARD=SB,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
    ALSA lib conf.c:4571:(parse_args) Unknown parameter CARD
    ALSA lib conf.c:4704:(snd_config_expand) Parse arguments error: No such file or directory

[...]

Some additional system informations.
    Operating System Version:
    "Arch Linux" (64 bit)
    Kernel Name: Linux
    Kernel Version: 3.12.9-2-ARCH
    X Server Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
    X Server Release: 11500000
    X Window Manager: Fluxbox
    Steam Runtime Version: steam-runtime-release_2014-02-05

Sound card:
    Audio device: Realtek ALC892

• ZukerSFMZukerSFM Ukraine Join Date: 2013-12-06 Member: 189863Members
    edited February 2014
    Same for me:
    Date: 02/12/14
    Time: 22:11:51:
    Build 263
    Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64
    Steam initialized
    Num displays: 1
    OpenGL 3.1.12780 Compatibility Profile/Debug Context 13.35.1005 initialized (ATI Technologies Inc. AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series)
    GLSL version 4.30
    Disabling ARB_texture_storage extension to work around AMD drivers
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Compiling 'shaders/Model.surface_shader'
    Well, the changelog doesn't mention anuthing about this issue, so it's safe to assume that it wasn't fixed, I didn't even try. Besides, it seems that the devs are waiting for the problem to be fixed on AMD's side and try to fix it in the game through a hack if it takes too long. As it's been reported to AMD quite recently, I think we won't see the issue addressed until a few monthes at best.
    Ok, I thought they wanted to integrate the workaround in this build.
    Later i will try the mesa drivers.
    With mesa i get into the menu of the game. So far so good. But when i run the process "optimizing" or i start the tutorial of the game, then after loading the map and the shaders the game crashes during the "precaching" process.
    I am using Mesa 10.0.2

Thats the backtrace i get with gdb:
    Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    0xf37c9c56 in __memcpy_ia32 () from /usr/lib32/libc.so.6
    (gdb) bt
    #0 0xf37c9c56 in __memcpy_ia32 () from /usr/lib32/libc.so.6
    #1 0x00000000 in ?? ()
    (gdb) q
    A debugging session is active.

Inferior 1 [process 1379] will be detached.

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    That's super sad, let me know if you get repro steps.

I will try to go through the linux tickets and see if we have that crash noted. Probably another out of memory crash :(
    @murray I've Mesa 9.2.1 and it works here. I've a 64 bit Ubuntu 13.10 with 8 GB RAM, if that matters.
    @tuxator I am also using a 64 bit distribution (Arch Linux) and have 8 GB ram. Afaik you are running the game with a Radeon HD 5870, correct? So, i think its a problem in the mesa version or it is a general driver problem for the Radeon HD 6800 series.

If i find some time, i will try to downgrade the mesa version (or upgrade to the newest version).
    I just tried the latest mesa-git version (10.2-devel). With this mesa version the game fails to start. Other games like Left4Dead 2 and Killing Floor are running fine.
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.2.0-devel (git-0320ba9)
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.2.0-devel (git-0320ba9)
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

ns2 logile:
    Date: 02/13/2014
    Time: 10:50:02 PM:
    Build 263
    Linux
    Steam initialized
    Error: X windows: GLXBadFBConfig
    Error: glXCreateContextAttribsARB failed
    Error: OpenGL version 3.1 is required
    Error: Couldn't initialize the render device.
    @murray you are correct about my hardware. As for the Mesa devel version: A few days ago, I tried the git version and CS:S didn't start anymore. I guess there is a bug in there.
    @murray you are correct about my hardware. As for the Mesa devel version: A few days ago, I tried the git version and CS:S didn't start anymore. I guess there is a bug in there.
    Yeah, I had issues getting >2.1 out of my hardware on mesa the latest last week.

I would assume from the stuff you paosted some how despite expecting to support 3.3 you are onyl gettting 3.0 out of mesa.
    edited February 2014
    Confused wrote: »
    Yeah, I had issues getting >2.1 out of my hardware on mesa the latest last week.

I would assume from the stuff you paosted some how despite expecting to support 3.3 you are onyl gettting 3.0 out of mesa.

If I remember correct, then I get in Mesa 10.0.2 also only support for OpenGL 3.0 and with this mesa version the game can initialize the renderer. I will check this later.
    But how tuxator mentioned, it could possibly be a bug in the git version.

Edit:

Mesa 10.0.3:
    ns2.log:
    Build 263
    Linux
    Steam initialized
    OpenGL 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.3 initialized (X.Org Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS)
    GLSL version 1.40
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/materials/eclipse/Eclipse_ceilingmods_D_02.material'
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/materials/eclipse/Eclipse_ceilingmods_D_02.material'
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/materials/eclipse/Eclipse_Hallway_02_D4.material'

[...]

Connected to Steam servers
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    VAC Enabled
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)
    Loading config://ServerConfig.json
    Loading config://ServerAdmin.json
    Loading config://BannedPlayers.json
    Loading config://MapCycle.json
    Loading config://ConsistencyConfig.json
    Hashed 1 game_setup.xml files for consistency
    Hashed 797 *.lua files for consistency
    Hashed 37 *.hlsl files for consistency
    Hashed 30 *.shader files for consistency
    Hashed 18 *.screenfx files for consistency
    Hashed 136 *.surface_shader files for consistency
    Hashed 3 *.fxh files for consistency
    Hashed 3 *.render_setup files for consistency
    Hashed 2 *.shader_template files for consistency
    Hashed 12 *.level files for consistency
    Hashed 5787 *.dds files for consistency
    Hashed 77 *.jpg files for consistency
    Hashed 43 *.png files for consistency
    Hashed 897 *.cinematic files for consistency
    Hashed 2175 *.material files for consistency
    Hashed 3855 *.model files for consistency
    Hashed 103 *.animation_graph files for consistency
    Hashed 201 *.polygons files for consistency
    Hashed 2 *.fev files for consistency
    Hashed 22 *.fsb files for consistency
    Skipped 378 ui/*.dds files for consistency
    Skipped 120 *_view*.dds files for consistency
    Skipped 53 *_view*.material files for consistency
    Skipped 121 *_view*.model files for consistency
    Skipped 17 models/marine/hands/* files for consistency
    Hashed 0 lua/entry/*.entry files for consistency
    Consistency checking took 0 seconds
    Loading 'maps/ns2_descent.level'
    Warning: Overriding map's pathing_settings.option_tile_size from 48 to 36
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/models/marine/Dropship/dropship.model'
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/models/marine/Dropship/dropship.model'
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/models/props/descent/descent_terminal_C_str_6.model'

[...]

Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_descent.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_descent.level'
    Loading 'maps/ns2_descent.level'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_descent.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_descent.level'
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/models/props/descent/descent_terminal_C.material'
    WARNING: Corrected case of '/home/murray/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Natural Selection 2/ns2/models/props/descent/descent_terminal_C.material'
    [...]

glxinfo:
    client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4

OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.3
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40

OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.0.3
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    NS2 requires 3.1 core and shader language 1.4. Sad to say, unless you figure out what part of the chain is limiting you you are not going to be able to run it. Mesa 10.0.2 should support Opengl 3.3.
    I reinstalled 10.2-devel and got OpenglGL 3.3, but still not working. Same error, renderer cannot be initialized. I think I should wait some time and try a newer git version soon.
  • bleedingfacebleedingface Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194132Members
    edited February 2014
    Edit 2: I am able to run the game fine with catalyst 13.8. For everyone who is not afraid of downgrading manually, just download the 13.8 drivers from AMD and you will be fine. You might need an earlier kernel as well. I'm running: catalyst-hook 13.8-3, linux 3.10.10-1, xorg-server 1.13.4-2

Original comment:
    I downgraded to catalyst 13.8 (also kernel 3.10) and I now get a buggy main menu with a marine and some rain but no menu graphics (menu sounds though). (<--- this was fixed by removing shaders and cache dirs and verifying game content from steam)

For me it worked fine about a week ago, but I'm not sure what versions I were running then.

Edit: completely black screen with latest kernel and catalyst packages, no yellow cursor and no sounds.
    Looks like there's a new beta driver (Catalyst 14.3 beta 1.0) : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-linux-beta-driver.aspx
    Nothing mentioned about NS2, so I guess there's nothing new...

What about the developers? Are they going to finally address the issue or still wait for a fix from AMD?

Basically, the game has been unplayable on AMD cards since it was released last august. It's beginning to be a bit long.
  • mintehminteh Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151389Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Just tried the new AMD drivers. Not fixed. Bad times...
    Just tried it with the current mesa drivers in arch linux and this game is running now! :D
    The performance is playable :), but there are some graphic issues. For example I cant see, if someone is shooting. The graphical effects are missing.
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
    edited April 2014
    yeah, probably. But I don't know where to report them. Is it radeon specific or MESA? Or Gallium?
    tuxator wrote: »
    yeah, probably. But I don't know where to report them. Is it radeon specific or MESA? Or Gallium?
    That's a good question. I would say it's related to Mesa.
    Or ask some devs in the irc channel #radeon @freenode

• illwieckzillwieckz Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195239Members
    edited April 2014
    Same problem here, AMD Radeon 7970, AMD Catalyst 14.3 beta, vanilla x86_64 SteamOS, the game hang at launch (before creating any "~/.config/Natural Selection2/" log file), the strace end with:
    futex(0xf3bea348, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 0, NULL

I can upload complete strace file or gdb dump, but it will be similar to other.

OK, it seems that is the AMD fault, but there is no way for developers to write a workaround? I have not only paid AMD, I also paid Unknown World. I tolerate easily the argument "it's not my fault" when it comes to volunteer free software, but when it comes to commercial proprietary software, there is no excuse.

This bug has been known for at least six months, I bought NS2 four month ago, and I stil cannot play. Linux users are really nice.
    I'm not sure to pay again! I will play Unvanquished...