What I did to solve MY "Your game files do not match the server ..." problem

alnairalnair Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2014 in Technical Support
Problem background
Since a few months back (even before 263) I have been experiencing in-game issues with NS2. The issues include random crashes resulting in a "blue screen", crashes back to Windows where I could submit an error-report to UWE. But the -by far- most frequent issue was the random disconnection from ALL servers at ANY time due to failed inconsistency checks. Though, being random disconnections during a game, I have observed that I was often disconnected at the time of a hive-takedown (but not always). No matter if I was the commander, the one taking down the hive, or not even in the same "room" as the hive, I was still disconnected. In short, the error message I received, which I will refer to as THE ERROR, was

THE ERROR
"Your game files do not match the server's. Try verifying your game cache in Steam, or maybe an update just came out."

This post is an attempt to share my experience dealing with the above error message. I will present what I have tried and what currently seems to be THE fix for it (at least on my system). If you do not want to read the full post, my operating system is Windows 8.1 and the current build is 264. The solution is Action 6, which in short states "Turn of any anti-virus program, run NS2 in administration and compatibility mode."

For reference, my rig (if important to someone):
SEAGATE DESKTOP HDD 1TB 7200RPM SATA/600 64MB
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 8 64-BIT SWE DVD#OEM (Updated to 8.1)
INTEL CORE I7 3770K 3.5GHZ 8MB S-1155 IVY
INTEL 330 SERIES 2.5" 180GB SSD SATA/600 MLC 25NM RESELLER
CORSAIR HX650 MODULAR GOLD 650W
CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 XMS3 INTEL I5/I7 PC12800 1600MHZ 2X(2X4GB)
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Z77 S-1155 ATX IVY
ASUS GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP

Graphics drives are up to date.

What I have tried
I have browsed this and various forums, and was recommended and have tried the following actions

Action 1) Verify the game files by right-clicking on the game in Steam => Properties => Local Files => Verify integrity of game cache
Result 1) I can connect to game-servers but I am again disconnected by THE ERROR after some time.

Action 2) Check the console for any "failed consistency check", go to the NS2 installation folder, delete, do Action 1, and reconnect.
Result 2) No joy, see Result 1.

Action 3) I do not use any mods, other than the ones downloaded from the servers. Nevertheless, delete the content of the Workshop and cache folder in the "%AppData%\Roaming\Natural Selection 2" folder.
Result 3) Game is playable, but the final outcome is yet again Result 1.

Action 4) Error log often states something like:
Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
Error: 1 memory leaks in 'D3D9Device' (84 bytes)
Error: 128 memory leaks in 'Sound' (4688 bytes)
Error: 129 memory leaks in 'Client' (4772 bytes)
Error: 129 memory leaks in 'Engine' (4772 bytes)"
In this case, my action was to reduce graphics, change the graphics-driver in the NS2 settings menu (tried all of them), set graphics to minimum-level (Welcome back to NS1 ...).
Result 4) NO JOY, see Result 1.

Action 5) Reinstall NS2 (full nuke), though you must remember to turn of Steam cloud sync under "Steam => Settings => Cloud", otherwise your NS2 files and your reinstallation is without any effect.
Result 5) See Result 1.

FINALLY, a solution!
Based on an unholy mix of forum posts (cannot remember exactly where) I came up with this approach which seems to work well for me:

Action 6a) Add Steam and SteamLibrary as exceptions in your anti-virus program (thanks DC_Darkling). (Alternatively disable your anti-virus program.)
Action 6b) Run NS2 in Administrator mode and enable compatibility mode for Windows 8.

From Action 6a, I have added the folders as exceptions in the free version of AVG2014.

From Action 6b, go to you "SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2" find NS2.exe, right-click and select Properties => Compatibility and set your operating system, also thick the boxes corresponding to "Inactivate scaling at high DPI" and "Run this program as an administrator".

Result 6ab) I can now play the game on full graphics-settings without THE ERROR! (still working OK after about 20+ hours of game-play)

If you frequently experience THE ERROR, then I hope you may once again be able to enjoy the NS2 experience! If anyone has additional comments please post them here, and we may finally purge THE ERROR from NS2.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the awesome documentation
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    alnair vs THE ERROR
    Nice 1st post. :)
  • benoveerbenoveer Join Date: 2013-04-23 Member: 184950Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    its not u, its the sever, its out of date
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    This makes me wonder if your AV isnt scanning ns2 live and doing something with it.
    Doesnt your AV have a folder exclude option?
  • alnairalnair Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    benoveer wrote: »
    its not u, its the sever, its out of date

You are right, sometimes it could indeed be because that the server mod is out of date. BUT if that is the case then I would not have been able to join the server at all. My issue was that I was getting thrown out of server in mid-game.

This makes me wonder if your AV isnt scanning ns2 live and doing something with it.
    Doesnt your AV have a folder exclude option?

Thanks for the suggestion DC_Darkling, I enabled the Steam and NS folders as exceptions and the game still runs as smooth as ever. I will update the post accordingly.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Can you test running it not in admin mode, as you should not need to?
    I begin to suspect the AV does something.

@IronHorse‌
    Does it check files on disk or in memory? Because if they AV is messing with in memory files?
    Today I removed the admin requirement (Action 6b) and it appears to run okay. I agree that AV doing something weird, will try some more servers and report the result! Also I will try to re-enable the AV to see if I get the same error message again, then we will know for sure if AVG is the root of all evil or not :) Thanks!
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Join server that "Allows Mods workshop" like UWE Offical server16 , KingkahunaGroups ..vvv

You can try few times , if after one server change map >> Precaching (15%) bal bla >>> Your game file not match
    >> Then you know that server block all mods workshop ( stupid server owner :D)

Then Add Favourite orther server like i said above and enjoy playing without
    1..2..3 >> ERROR :))
    you do realise that if you exclude the folder and start your AV, for ns2 its then basicly the same? :P
    you do realise that if you exclude the folder and start your AV, for ns2 its then basicly the same? :P

of course!
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    edited April 2014
    I got a wee bit lost on the solution. Anyone care to help a computer illiterate person with this?

EDIT: Never mind, using the powers of Youtube I am fine and caught up! Also I haven't tried it yet but Thank You in advanced!
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    edited April 2014
    It didn't work.... I guess I still need help....
    EDIT: HAHA!!! NOW IT WORKS. All I had to do was verify the game cache again... :) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. You (Alnair) and DC_Darkling are awesome
    Im still wondering how the hell it can fail consistency.

A AV should not change any actual file like a dll.
    A exe could be seen as a container. So if additional dll hook onto it it does not need to be bad. I wonder if and how this is checked.
    DC_Darkling, to be completely honest, now after more extensive testing, I am not 100% sure that the above Actions are final solutions and I do not think that the AV and admin-mode should should be required. But still (somehow) it alleviated the frequency of the consistency check error, but I have noticed it was not completely solved. A very rough reduce in the error frequency estimate probably include 10-20 min to a game once in a while.

So I continued thinking about possible reasons for the consistency check to fail and as I understand at game start all files used to render scenes are cached in RAM, right? And since the consistency check always fails on different files, what if I have something wrong with my RAM? Based on that idea I tried memtest86+ and I found plenty of failing addresses. Then after days of checking individual RAM-sticks, in various configurations on the motherboard slots, I think (and hope) that I now have found two good sticks. Since running on these two sticks I have not gotten any error message.

I am not brave enough to yet claim that was the solution, but error free hardware is a good place to start at. So GalapagO if THE ERROR returns, perhaps check your RAM...
    I was under impression you already had checked ram. :O
    No, before NS I have not experienced any crashes of the computer or any other software related crashes. So the ram issue didnt even cross my mind ...