Build 264 now live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hallucinations giving los is broken.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think 30 seconds TTL for hallucination solves most of the problems with them being good. When Sewlek put these hallus on BT, they had normal time of life for that build, which was way over one minute if I recall correctly. And giving LOS and faking alerts was a serious issue back then. You could create image of whole team at base, send 70% to fake harass res and rest to scout. Now when TTL is reduced and there is a quantity cap, hallucinations can't do this much on their own.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Bit buggy when you try to reapply hallucinations. For example, if you halluc an onos, and a lerk flies by and you want to halluc him too, it doesn't always work if you hit the onos again. Either your previous hallucinations disappear and it doesn't form new ones, or it doesn't do anything and just keeps it the same.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    edited March 2014
    Since build 247 this game has become constantly buggier and buggier... Not even talking about Mineshaft being quite literally, shafted, but about things that are high priority on any developer's list that were supposed to be fixed, or promised a fix that should have been truly fixed months and months ago.

For some reason I still have some hope that until Build 270 you will get it all straightened out and this game will finally become truly enjoyable again, the way it used to be.

If you don't mind, the reason you have people like RadimaX coming in and out of your forums is because despite the abysmal support, extremely rocky development schedule, unfulfilled promises and disastrous upon disastrous updates, not a couple but literally two dozens of them, you have loyal paying fans willing to pour even more money, time and creative effort in something they genuinely enjoy - your game, something that particularly after everything that's happened, you should be extremely proud of; however they will not be around forever. And, yes, that was quite the PR gaffe...

edit: haha liking how unpopular my post is... it's nothing but the truth, though. Stuff that should be working... :| The good thing is that now that I got some feedback from you guys and that everyone's working on getting it ironed out, suppose we can come to an agreement here. Truly appreciate the effort, and wish luck for NS devs.

Sorry for being edgy, I love you too.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    or promised a fix that should have been truly fixed months and months ago.
    Specifically?

• DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    or promised a fix that should have been truly fixed months and months ago.
    Specifically?

I'm referring to stuff like GPU PhysX support being completely broken (the console reports an error and the dedicated GPU is always at 0% load, just use MSI Afterburner to see it, this is not a new issue), the game looking for some lost assets our D drive for whatever reason, the useless "one time optimization" that effects loading times in nothing (using an HyperX 3K SSD with 555MB/s reading speeds), servers that crash 4-5 times a day, the video memory leaks (that sure have improved, doesn't max out my Titan's 6 GB anymore (like on my very first post) but just uses like 2.5-3 GB of memory where it fit under 1 GB previously, the very first builds I experienced (243-247) used to be playable on my 512MB MacBook Pro), everlasting Beta for the new renderers, performance that is lower with every single patch...

Don't get me wrong, i'm not here to moan about the game being broken or here to start stuff. I'm just honestly disappointed with how glitchy this masterpiece currently is. I have had some of my very best gaming moments in NS2; which was recommended to me by the way by RadimaX and Darkflame, both dudes that live playing this game and have posted on the forum regularly, and would very much sincerely like to one day be able to experience this game the way it was meant to be.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    Yes, but can you be more specific? :)
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Desther wrote: »
    driest wrote: »
    lwf wrote: »
    So what was the Docking exploit anyway?

Missing death trigger at landing pad

So what made this critical? Could you sneak to some previously unreachable place?

Maybe you could put gorge tunnels underneath out of reach of Marines.

Go lerk and shoot people to death from outside of the map without being able to get killed.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    @DarkLaunch357‌
    I don't believe any of those were promised by a dev??
    In any case, I cannot speak to the resources of UWE of late, but I can inform you that @SamusDroid‌ is a great volunteer dev that contributes greatly to NS2 - but he does not have access to engine level code, therefore only so much can be fixed currently.

fyi tho:
    1) Been investigating GPU dispatcher lately. Its working for me, but not for others. (i just tested last week)
    2) That lost asset is not lost, and thus that's a benign error.
    3) The "one time optimization" just compiles shaders at the menu so you don't have to do it when joining a server. Its entirely optional and non impacting. Benign
    4) Server errors from server owners are the only way they can be found if they are in fact due to the game and not the server. Nothing is reported in the tech support forums??
    5) The memory leaks you see in console are entirely benign according to the lead programmer
    6) Performance that is measured across the past few builds shows no decrease in performance afaik, if anything server performance in particular got slightly better compared to reinforced.
    edited March 2014
    Yes, but can you be more specific? :)

Sure, why not.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @DarkLaunch357‌
    I don't believe any of those were promised by a dev??
    In any case, I cannot speak to the resources of UWE of late, but I can inform you that @SamusDroid‌ is a great volunteer dev that contributes greatly to NS2 - but he does not have access to engine level code, therefore only so much can be fixed currently.

fyi tho:
    1) Been investigating GPU dispatcher lately. Its working for me, but not for others. (i just tested last week)
    2) That lost asset is not lost, and thus that's a benign error.
    3) The "one time optimization" just compiles shaders at the menu so you don't have to do it when joining a server. Its entirely optional and non impacting. Benign
    4) Server errors from server owners are the only way they can be found if they are in fact due to the game and not the server. Nothing is reported in the tech support forums??
    5) The memory leaks you see in console are entirely benign according to the lead programmer
    6) Performance that is measured across the past few builds shows no decrease in performance afaik, if anything server performance in particular got slightly better compared to reinforced.

Hmm. Alright I suppose, my bad if I sounded mean or hasty in any statement :D

If it helps you, I have a dedicated GTX 480 for that task on my system, and tried with the GTX 275 before, same thing. The whole memory stuff might be benign if you got memory to spare, but it has rendered the game completely unplayable in low memory scenarios where it worked before, it hitches like CRAZYYYY on systems with 4 GB of memory or 512MB video cards (even though 512MB was never really supported, but oh well, that would be asking way too much).

The error seems not to appear when I run only the Titan, could it be that the game is unable to recognize the path for the dedicated processor (as set through NVIDIA Control Panel) and therefore fails to load?
    Bgbf5hd.png
    bWZBoZm.png

I just loaded the game off Steam again, let it compile everything (that tedious 10 min wait...) but at least i can tell some progress has indeed been made, it only did that once this time. Heading the right way is all we ever wanted my good man. Hope for all the best.

And yes, I know about SamusDroid... without him, this game wouldn't be this game, so for that we are very thankful ;) still, as you said, he's got no engine level access, so he can only do so much, as far as I can really not complain about is the stuff that he made himself... We are modders for CoD: WaW (well, used to be...) so we know talented people right away :)

edited March 2014
    If that hitching is "waitingonbufferedframes" in the profiler, then it is known (and highly aggravating to me) and a fix is being worked on for an upcoming patch by an engine developer.
    It's the only reported hitching I have though, so if you have something else, please start a thread in techsupport forums with your techsupport.exe zip file.

And I totally get the frustration.. (its why i joined the PT team!) know that there are many good people, both paid and volunteer, that understand how annoying bugs are and thus continue to take time out of their day to support and better NS2. Fixes are still incoming afaik.
    Thanks for being reasonable, btw :)
    edited March 2014
    No problem dude, as I said before, you guys have the best fans in the world ;)

oops, sounded like i got a big ego <3

naw, serious though, we all love the game, love the community, love UWE, why hate and make things hard. hope all is well soon bro.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The performance drop you experienced (me too) sometime after Reinforced has maybe something to do with the female Marine and shadow skins and whatnot. Just confirming that after Reinforced the performance seemed to decrease. Until now, finally able to play again somewhat.
    Thats why I like this patch really!!
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    The performance drop you experienced (me too) sometime after Reinforced has maybe something to do with the female Marine and shadow skins and whatnot. Just confirming that after Reinforced the performance seemed to decrease. Until now, finally able to play again somewhat.
    Thats why I like this patch really!!

Mmmm, good observation, but I don't think that a mere marine variant would cause that much problem :)

I just had a couple of lengthy games really, something was done here and that makes me a very happy panda. Didn't drop below 110 fps once, which is heaven compared to the 25 i'd get with a few Onos on my screen before.

All in all, despite sounding a little harsh on some who don't deserve it all because I ended up generalizing a little bit, I wanna say is keep up the work you guys, while this patch might still a little rough and all will be kickin' again soon. Improvement compared to 263 imo is quite massive.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Mmmm, good observation, but I don't think that a mere marine variant would cause that much problem :)
    I heard the female model is loading forever, don't know if it has effects while playing.

The girls must be coming with handbags full of utensils or something :P

Male Marine: 202 MB
    Female Marine: 433 MB
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I heard the female model is loading forever, don't know if it has effects while playing.

The girls must be coming with handbags full of utensils or something :P

Male Marine: 202 MB
    Female Marine: 433 MB

Mmmmhmmmm! Extra large space marine ladies? Where do I sign up for the marriage wait list? :P

Suppose time we get back on topic though, good times man, good times.

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soo.. can I run NS2 on my 486 yet? I can press the Turbo button on the case if that helps.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    Soo.. can I run NS2 on my 486 yet? I can press the Turbo button on the case if that helps.

Turbo is misleading, it slows down your CPU. If you get low fps, put Turbo in off state and you'll be fine.
    xen32 wrote: »
    RockyMarc wrote: »

Turbo is misleading, it slows down your CPU. If you get low fps, put Turbo in off state and you'll be fine.

True mate, you gotta install a math coprocessor on that badboy.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I keep getting a weird new form of... lag?... with 264. Overall, the game feels smoother, most likely due to Matso's fix. But once in a while, it feels like I'm ... moving through tar for about a second. I don't know how else to describe it. It's like not "normal" warping, and it's not just a FPS drop. It seemed to happen mostly on servers that cannot hold a steady 30 tickrate (*cough* UWE official *cough*).

Anyone else experiencing this?

Usually, my FPS are at about 60-100. I'm not sure how if and how far they dropped when this happened - I was too busy not losing my lifeform when it did.

Specs: i5-2500K (not OC), HD 6850, DX 11, 1680x1050, medium settings
    @MrFangs‌
    If you experience this mostly on servers that cannot hold 30 tickrate, that would more than likely be the reason why.
    Using net_stats in the console will probably show you predicting many frames ahead, which can be taxing on your PC and make it feel sluggish.

Also, i would be running DX9 fullscreen, only.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just so everyone knows, the GPU PhysX also does not work for me. THe GPU dispatcher is dispatched... but neither Afterburner or NVCP report that it is functioning.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    GPU based PhysX was never functional in NS2.
    Its a placebo option.
    The game say "Using GPU dispatcher", the Nvidia control panel says "Using CPU" after starting the game.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    MrFangs wrote: »
    I keep getting a weird new form of... lag?... with 264. Overall, the game feels smoother, most likely due to Matso's fix. But once in a while, it feels like I'm ... moving through tar for about a second. I don't know how else to describe it. It's like not "normal" warping, and it's not just a FPS drop. It seemed to happen mostly on servers that cannot hold a steady 30 tickrate (*cough* UWE official *cough*).

Anyone else experiencing this?

Usually, my FPS are at about 60-100. I'm not sure how if and how far they dropped when this happened - I was too busy not losing my lifeform when it did.

Specs: i5-2500K (not OC), HD 6850, DX 11, 1680x1050, medium settings

@MrFangs‌

Yep I'm getting the same thing with this build. My mouse input will slow down only when tracking to the right and then resets when I move it in any other direction again. Very weird

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    craZyfx wrote: »
    Hallucinations even blow up mines. That doesn't seem to be a fair trade for the cost of the mines.

We tested this fairly exhaustively yesterday and could not reproduce. We specifically made sure this was changed when it came up in a playtest game over a month ago.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    it does blow mines up, put the cloud ontop of mines and watch them blow baby.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^ Uhh that's the difference between

"hallucinations blow up mines"

and

"hallucination blows up mines"
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold

and

And neither should be doable.

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter

and

And neither should be doable.
    i don't think he thinks so either, he's just commenting on the poor wording of whoever reported it.