See your own shadow?

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
It would be very nice, especially as an alien, if we could see our own shadows. As it is right now, there's no way to tell if you're casting a great big shadow into a room when you might think you're being very sneaky. Obviously not a huge game-breaker, but there are occasions where I've seen an alien's shadow and been able to get the drop on them when I otherwise wouldn't have known they were there.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I swear at one point we could.. back in alpha or something... right?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Other games don't let you see your mirror image or your feet, but NS2 takes the realism one step further:

*NOW*
    Don't see your shadow in all it's glory! (Available on Steam, 15€)

...sorry but I had to say it :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »

I dunno, I only started this game at release -- no beta/alpha for me :( (wish I'd known about it!)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Hmm... Lemme check the runes of selection...

Aha, it says here:
    He who sees his own shadow shall fear it and imagine themselves as an armoured horse for all of eternity. Said horse is commonly decked out in iron plating and completely self aware.

- 31th Candy Mountain Chronicles 2009-10 -
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd wish all the games utilized Arma-style models, when there is no view-model, and camera is placed right on your actual in-game face. So you can see your body and your shadow and everything like player around see you.
    Say, In battlefield 3 your own body that you see is fake, it doesn't even cast shadows.

Since you don't see your own body, it's hard to judge if any parts of your body stick out.

But yeah, at least shadows would be nice.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    xen32 wrote: »
    I'd wish all the games utilized Arma-style models, when there is no view-model, and camera is placed right on your actual in-game face. So you can see your body and your shadow and everything like player around see you.
    Say, In battlefield 3 your own body that you see is fake, it doesn't even cast shadows.

Since you don't see your own body, it's hard to judge if any parts of your body stick out.

This would work if the camera in NS2 would be in the correct position. However they are at the model origin/center for our fourlegged friends and at chestheight for our bipedal friend AFAIK. It could probably be fixed for the twolegged models, but will change the game a bit with shooting from a different spot. However it would be quite weird on the other models when spinning around with the cam on the model edge/head.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    xen32 wrote: »

This would work if the camera in NS2 would be in the correct position. However they are at the model origin/center for our fourlegged friends and at chestheight for our bipedal friend AFAIK. It could probably be fixed for the twolegged models, but will change the game a bit with shooting from a different spot. However it would be quite weird on the other models when spinning around with the cam on the model edge/head.

As far as I remember, works fine on Alien in AvP 2010. Doesn't look like they use fake body there.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imagine the debates over if a cloaked alien would still cast a shadow.... :(|)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ^ If we were being reeeally realistic, cloaked aliens wouldnt be able to see at all ;)
    You dare step into our domain and bring logic with you @joshhh %-(
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Shhhhhh Kouji. Logic is a hidden treasure in these forums. Only a select few know what that is or how to use it.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A lot of games have full body and correct head positionng with shadows (Crysis, Riddick Games, Arma, etc...)

Being able to see your character shadow would be quite nice in NS2. Not sure if it would be out of sync though with the view position...
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    A lot of games have full body and correct head positionng with shadows (Crysis, Riddick Games, Arma, etc...)

Being able to see your character shadow would be quite nice in NS2. Not sure if it would be out of sync though with the view position...

Honestly, I don't care if it is. I just want to be able to see my shadow how other players will see it so I can ensure I'm actually hiding, rather than putting myself on display.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think we've all sat in that little nook in the ceiling between topo and east junction - you know, the one with the light and the fan - and not realised we were casting a lovely skulk shadow right onto the floor. Or at least, I have, and the marine who killed me kindly told me so :D

@Joshhhy - but do you know for sure that aliens don't exist? :)

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its an interesting point, but doubtful we will get it though.. something for NS3? Aliens vs Marines Underwater.... (you heard it here first kids) =))
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The problem is that your shadow will always look inaccurate if you have separate animations for first person models and third person models.
    CrushaK wrote: »
    The problem is that your shadow will always look inaccurate if you have separate animations for first person models and third person models.

Meh... I don't care. I just want to be able to see the shadows like all the other players see them, that way I can tell if I'm truly hidden or not. Maybe make it an option? That way people that don't like the inaccurate shadows can always turn them off.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    While I would like this, most suggestions don't get in the game especially since ns2 development has been slowed down.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    While I would like this, most suggestions don't get in the game especially since ns2 development has been slowed down.

Should that stop us from making suggestions?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    For some reason I expected this thread to be about finding groundhogs in gorge tunnels or something.
    I'm bumping this thread back from the dead because with the CDT running the show now, I think we've got a better shot of getting this in the game!
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'm bumping this thread back from the dead because with the CDT running the show now, I think we've got a better shot of getting this in the game!

14928436095_924f521a19_o.jpg

Oh great, now look what you did! Selfshading would be awesome it would also make it possible to see when you are casting a dreaded shadow into the realm of "LOOOK THERE HE IS SHOOT HIM!"
    edited August 2014

Oh great, now look what you did! Selfshading would be awesome it would also make it possible to see when you are casting a dreaded shadow into the realm of "LOOOK THERE HE IS SHOOT HIM!"

Between East Junction and Topographical on veil, there's that one little skylight that I see skulks hiding in sometimes. lol I was dead and 3rd-person spectating and had to warn a guy once "hey you're casting a HUGE shadow right in the middle of the hallway.

Reminds me of this:
    4JJeGNw.png
    "Hee hee hee. I can see everything and they're none the wiser!"
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Between East Junction and Topographical on veil, there's that one little skylight that I see skulks hiding in sometimes. lol I was dead and 3rd-person spectating and had to warn a guy once "hey you're casting a HUGE shadow right in the middle of the hallway.

Reminds me of this:
    4JJeGNw.png
    "Hee hee hee. I can see everything and they're none the wiser!"

It took me so many tries until i figured out why i always died there...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    LOL does that really cast a shadow? That kinda makes sense now. I kinda forgot this game had shadows...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I rarely worry about being seen. Most players either don't have shadows on or are too rookie to know what that shadow is in my experience.
    edited August 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    I rarely worry about being seen. Most players either don't have shadows on or are too rookie to know what that shadow is in my experience.

You are playing on the wrong servers, sonny... :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Shadows on is very important in a map like Kodiak for example...