NS2 Derelict

LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited June 2014 in Mapping
Map currently being made by myself.

Keeping this simple for now,

Workshop Link - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246463430&searchtext=

Please post feedback!

Comments

• DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    From the greybox playtest tonight I think we need to optimize the map for faster marine travel times. The rooms are very large, which is advantageous for marines, but it takes awhile to get around the map. Some shortcuts would be nice, maybe even some shortcuts that are not accessible via Oni.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2014
    good to read that you guys are working on it :D

Might prevent that multiple Derelicts will be released in the end. (which is good)
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited March 2014
    DarkATi i totally agree, some rooms with just the RT´s are SOO big you would expect it to be a CC-location its very misleading and unnecessary in my opinion. Ruff overlook:
    FJPZ1uG.jpg

2 purple rooms are MASSIVE like size of atrium if not bigger
    6 have same CC sized rooms except they hold 2 rts, sometimes 1 rt and on top right even 0 rt (marked with ? mark) i think that room needs to be ½ the size

Also With so much space on top right of the map the only way map would be played FAIR in this state would be if alien/marine spawn would be LOBBY/GARAGE or inside both purple rooms working their way diagonally down to bottom left but that again close spawns could be annoying in many cases.

Possible sulution is cut off some "crust" on the gray box:
    7pjoNiu.jpg

Even after reducing North side of map its kinda wide compared to bottom of map but i tilted everything to left so i could see the geometry and the layout: left vs right side of map and it appeared more "balanced" maby NURSERY could use some more space or geometry and move down LOOKOUT slightly so rt is not as close to LOBBY.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Looks a lot better with the changes you have made to the layout there RadimaX!

Pretty cool that you guys are taking this on actually! And since you are so many I expect it to be fully detail in no more than a month from now! GLHF!
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    the map was abandoned for a reason
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    the map was abandoned for a reason

Yes, most of which was simply time and resources....which the NS2 community has in abundance :)

Looking forward to seeing this map develop! :D
    thx MasterG, i think sizewise it looks good with changes but south side is still a bit to little going on in it compared to north geometricly speaking, if teams start west/east i think we can se most EVEN fights over central. If north is locked marine location though, then i will prop uninstall ns2 becouse we will get our 3rd "veil" map haha
    Eclipse was veil'y enough with its fixed marine spawn and no middle cc room, but it surely looks good though.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    making it a 4 tech point map? pls no
    nezz, i love summit and its cetnral cc instead, so replacing the "DOUBLE" in middle would make this map very Summit like, wich in general is a good thing i think :P
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Ahh, we have got the loading screen!
    RadimaX wrote: »
    nezz, i love summit and its cetnral cc instead, so replacing the "DOUBLE" in middle would make this map very Summit like, wich in general is a good thing i think :P

Yeh could be interesting. We shall see=)

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    RadimaX wrote: »

Well, and then what will then set apart this map from Summit? And do we need another?

edited March 2014
    Its the 2 rts in the middle, different paths leading to the center, different art direction setting and with another background story to it that sets this map apart from summit.
    I would however not mind if central was regular hive/cc location instead of doing another veil/eclipse map is what i was trying to say, its 2 of them already so i would not mind another "summit"
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about having a "Double" location at the sides and another CC in the middle or just 4 CC map. Leading to decisions either getting another tech spot or get Double for resources. Wouldn't that allow some different strategies as always the same fight-in-the-middle.
    edited March 2014
    actually if top of the map was double or bottom of the map was double, middle can be unclaimed CC/hive location and marine/aliens always spawn across each other left/right (just like TRAM) but on sides instead of top/bottom:

Sguu70z.png
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Interesting idea. But you know in veil, how aliens are likely to always go for nano? I think it will turn out kind of the same way here, aliens pushing hard to capture the double resource and focusing a lot of marine efforts around it(or the other way around). The opposite side of the double resource would be ignored a lot of the time and most of the fights be focused on the side of the map where there are most resources. Sure the top/bottom side would be capped but there would not be much effort to get it for marines. While aliens would probably have a hard time taking the side without double node without sacrificing it. Not saying this shouldn't be tried because the concept is very interesting. I'm just not sure if it would work at all. It may in fact be brilliant.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A double res room at the extreme side of any map does not immediately /seem/ to be a good idea. For now, I believe we are keeping the double res room in the middle and NOT turning it into a Tech Point. Of course, that can change during playtesting.
    yeah playtesting will determen whats best, but i was just trying to switch up the "generic" layouts of veil or summit in a way that still is fair to both teams but a different type of map :P now i did not say it will turn out to be good, only different hehe. Its just as far to get the double and infest it if its on the top or in middle though.
    it really depends on the layout of the map to see how it plays out. EG: if the double node in the middle is as open as crossroads then you will see 100% marine wins. If it's somewhat enclosed like veil & hard to arc then aliens will win easily.
    the gray box version had 2 walls to block it off so you cant snipe the nodes if i remember correctly but the race for bilebomb/arcs is also what makes veil fun. Not having that ability would make nano OP so in general i am against double rt´s except mineshaft becouse they are spread so far away you cannot just kill everythng with some arcs and a scan :)
    Keeping the double res in the middle seems like the best option and could provide more tactical depth to the map. Because all tech points can be random spawns as long as cross spawns are enabled. Will provide varied tactical approaches for each round based on spawn locations.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey, i subscribed to the map on the workshop but what do i do now? Did it download and where did it go? I cant find it in the ns2/maps folder : / I really want to have a look at the new models!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    VonDoom wrote: »
    Hey, i subscribed to the map on the workshop but what do i do now? Did it download and where did it go? I cant find it in the ns2/maps folder : / I really want to have a look at the new models!

Go to %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop . This folder contains all ns2 mods you have every downloaded. To find a certain mod you have to find out the modid.

Each mod is in a folder which is named after this structure m<modid>_<version>

This is either given at the workshop page or can be found by converting the link id (int) to hex

For derelic is the link http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=237413642

So hex ( 237413642 ) = 16a43b4 . This means you will find the derelic files in the workshop folder under m16a43b4_.... ;)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    VonDoom wrote: »
    I really want to have a look at the new models!

There's no new models, it's just a very early map concept.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aah, I was intrigued by all the broken and dusty props in the concept art !
    Derelict is this you? :D

dragon-age-3-concept3.jpg
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    This is a concept I've been having laying around, since I saw it, might be a good use for derelicts x2 RT room ? ;)
    original.png
    good to get bunch of inspiration imgages, then mappers maby have better ideas to go after nice to see :)