Encouraging Teamwork and Sportsmanship

It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
Since my response in this topic: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134442/concede went un-noticed, I slept on this idea and I think it can have a very strong impact on the way people play for the better.

Something like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38891777/Outbox/Salute.jpg

Notes:
- You can't vote for yourself obviously
- You can vote for whoever you want on your team, the criteria doesn't matter, it sort of acts like Karma. If people enjoyed your company, you'll get "salutes", if not, they will probably not.
- Perhaps collect this value to be displayed on the main menu near your skill, like "Salutes: 98"
- This might help encourage players to stick around to the end of a game (at least be in the game for 50% of the game's duration), otherwise they forfeit receiving a salute
- Perhaps have Bronze / Silver / Gold Badge (each with pre-set values to reach) that represents how many salutes you've received? What tell other players is that you are a player who can be counted on.
- Might encourage people to play together (hopefully reducing concedes)

The current Commander Badge has encouraged people to command and also displays to others that person has commanding experience. So this IS doable, it's a matter of if @UWE wants to put time into something like this :)

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This is a really cool idea, I like it.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    it's a matter of if @UWE wants to put time into something like this :)

If this isnt 'connecting the world threw play' (or what was it exactly) i dont know what is.
    It could be setup for other UWe games aswell (in the future). Like 'community points'.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Should it be possible to give someone multiple salutes, in different matches, for example, or only one salute to one player at all? Because the system will be abused, but less so with the latter.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Simply give players x amount of Salute player x hour of play(or per week). Also prevent the same account from giving the same player Bonus to often, probably best to have it 1 time per player. That way it will be a valuable resource that you only give players that truly deserve it. You might not be able to give one every game but when you give one it will truly matter. You could also set a limit of at least 50 hours played before you get your first one.

I have always liked the karma system, the key to make it work is give value to it. If you can give Karma every game everyone will quickly have so many it will be meaningless, if you can only give 1 karma every 10-20 games that 1 karma will be something players want to get. Even better if you get a cool badge if you get enough of them.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, essentially making NS2 a popularity contest. I can gurantee that particuarily funny people will get more "upvotes" then useful people, for evidence just see about anything that uses similar systems.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I was thinking about 1 salute per person. But then again the community is pretty small. So to encourage recurring behavior it should be something that can be done in intervals be it daily, or weekly, etc.

Or it could be a requirement to obtain a x amount of salutes daily/weekly in order to maintain good standing. (Resets?) This allows anyone the opportunity to be represented and be rewarded for good behavior. This includes people who can't spend money on reinforcement packs, and would otherwise be left out of "the cool kids club"

Sure if someone really wanted to abuse it, unless it's tied to something, it would be meaningless for that person to chat for it.

It's a merit for the majority of players who like to work together. it's really just a number to remind players that it could be worth it to be in favor !with others.

League of legends did this to vote for MVP, Guns of Icarus does this with thumbs up.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually, come to think of it, it could be best described like the "like" or "awesome" buttons available on this forum.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Omega_K2 wrote: »
    So, essentially making NS2 a popularity contest. I can gurantee that particuarily funny people will get more "upvotes" then useful people, for evidence just see about anything that uses similar systems.

That's just how things like this work. Even if it's supposed to represent teamwork, even those who've seemingly never used a microphone in a public game (but are well known) are going to get a lot of "likes" as well. for the majority of people, though, it should work fine.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Use something like the Dota commend system like this:
    m2B8Wx2.png

Limit the amount of commends per day and limit the amount of commends from the same player to avoid abuse.
    Hopefully @UWE impliments this.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since my response in this topic: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134442/concede went un-noticed, I slept on this idea and I think it can have a very strong impact on the way people play for the better.

Something like this:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38891777/Outbox/Salute.jpg

Notes:
    - You can't vote for yourself obviously
    - You can vote for whoever you want on your team, the criteria doesn't matter, it sort of acts like Karma. If people enjoyed your company, you'll get "salutes", if not, they will probably not.
    - Perhaps collect this value to be displayed on the main menu near your skill, like "Salutes: 98"
    - This might help encourage players to stick around to the end of a game (at least be in the game for 50% of the game's duration), otherwise they forfeit receiving a salute
    - Perhaps have Bronze / Silver / Gold Badge (each with pre-set values to reach) that represents how many salutes you've received? What tell other players is that you are a player who can be counted on.
    - Might encourage people to play together (hopefully reducing concedes)

The current Commander Badge has encouraged people to command and also displays to others that person has commanding experience. So this IS doable, it's a matter of if @UWE wants to put time into something like this :)
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Use something like the Dota commend system like this:
    m2B8Wx2.png

Limit the amount of commends per day and limit the amount of commends from the same player to avoid abuse.

I like this idea. I have had a thread of my own on similar in game social systems.

These "Salutes" should not be cumulative. If they were everyone would eventually have a gold badge. Make them decay weekly. Each person can give out 5 salutes to 5 different players, once a week. I like the number of 5, because you + 5 people is enough for a team.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Figure I'll put this here for public consumption. Tactical-Gamer's amazing coder Wyzcrack has done something similar. Currently it only applies to Strangers (people who haven't signed our primer on the forums), but it can be expanded to do much more.

We've had for a while an sh_affirm command that allowed regulars to "vouch" for people on the server who had not become a Primer yet.

What Wyz has done is create a button on the scoreboard that acts like a "high-5". It allows you to click those players whom you feel contribute to good games on the server. You can always see your position, but not theirs. Here's a screenshot:

XNNsG4R.jpg

You can read about what it is here.

Other things he's done that I think the greater NS2 community would do well to look at.
    • WinOrLose - I couldn't find a thread that speaks of all the changes made, but this is one of the best contributions Wyz has made IMHO. WinOrLose is a concede mod. Once a team concedes, all players on the team that conceded can no longer attack, and the opposing team is notified that it has 60 seconds to destroy the command structure. If there are multiple structures, all but one are destroyed and the notice gives the location of it.
      In addition, armories, whips, crags, mines, and I THINK hydras all disappear, so they can't be slowed by blocks or other attacks. If the winning team kills a player on the conceded team, the counter drops by 7 seconds. It really promotes teamwork to finish off the game, and gives a sense of satisfaction to the winning team other than a quick banner stating you've won. Decoy, Orphan, Ironhorse and others could speak on its qualities if they'd like.
    • Captain's Games - Second best thing, and it's a CLOSE second. Couldn't find a thread that explained it in great detail, but here's talk of a recent change. Basically 2 players "opt-in" to be captains. Once they do there is a 60 second timer for players to opt in to play. If enough opt in, everyone is returned to RR, no one can be kicked by a reserve slot, and the captain's pick teams. A 6 minute timer starts for team pick and game planning. The server disables it's map time and sets for 2 rounds on the map. The teams play one round, switch teams and play another. It's really something to be experienced, but here's a TON of videos from these type games.
    • Approvals - Documented above.
    • Queries - All regulars on the server can see a "?" by the names of players on the server (also in the pic above). Clicking on it will display in the chat window (only to you) all the aliases and IDs this person has played on the server under. Great for smurfs.
    • Badges - Badges given based on teamwork and actual metrics that promote teamwork. I've no idea what and how many, but that's what makes it awesome. It's more that just a badge received for an event or a purchase. Like the Commander badge, it has meaning. Here's a pic of the one's I've received thus far. Which brings me to...
      rKuYHG7.png
    • Portal (TGNS hive) - Like UWE's hive, it's a central management for players on the server. Admins have shortcuts that a useful (reset servers), players can change what badges show by their names, and even have a tagline that shows when they join the server.
    • FullSpec - He's created a command sh_fullspec that allows you to opt in to join the server even when it's full and spectate. TGNS is a 16 player server, but it can have up to 24 players online. 8 can join and simply watch the match. Should someone playing leave, they can then join up. On Captain's night it's normal to have 8 spectators enjoying the matches, commenting, and sometimes casting. It promotes really great community.
    • SpectatorMode - We use a custom spectator's mode that allows you to opt in to what comms you hear and more. It restricts chat between spec and players (to inhibit abuse).