NS2 Map Asset Release: Derelict - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited March 2014
    It must be a skill to write 1000 words when you only have 3 dot points to present;

1. Map that will never be finished due to financial feasibility
    2. Here are some cool screenshots of what we thought it might look like
    3. Here is the workshop files if someone wants to pick it up

Cool pictures Cory, looks like biodome but nature has taken over!

On a side note, would producing maps be more financially viable if you didn't release new art assets with every map release? Seems weird the community can make awesome maps with existing toolsets out of free time, yet its financially unviable for a gaming company to do so due to having to create new art assets each time a map is made.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It must be a skill to write 1000 words when you only have 3 dot points to present;

1. Map that will never be finished due to financial feasibility
    2. Here are some cool screenshots of what we thought it might look like
    3. Here is the workshop files if someone wants to pick it up

Cool pictures Cory, looks like biodome but nature has taken over!

On a side note, would producing maps be more financially viable if you didn't release new art assets with every map release? Seems weird the community can make awesome maps with existing toolsets out of free time, yet its financially unviable for a gaming company to do so due to having to create new art assets each time a map is made.

Yea you can save a bundle by not paying for extra luxuries like materials and labor. ;)
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    It is a big leap to go from something community made, to something that UWE releases officially. By slapping the "official" label on it and releasing it with the game, that means we assume a certain level of responsibility for it. That means insuring that the visual quality is in line with the rest of the official maps/models/etc., and that the new content is not causing bugs and large issues. This means it takes up a fair amount of UWE time both before, and possibly after release, as well as PT time to adequately test.
    These is fair and makes sense. Is one option to include a 'community map pack' with the official release, that's only included in rotation if the server admin flips a server variable flag? This way you can detail 'These maps are not officially supported', but still provide them to every server admin and every player (save downloading on connect) and leave responsibility up to the admins?

It would at least be a quicker turn around for getting some community-made maps in wider use. And, from what I've seen, while I don't doubt some community maps could do with UWE's expertise in polishing them up, they are none-the-less already excellent and eminently playable.

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It'd be cool if a lot of mappers finished their maps and then they were tried by the community and the maps with the most votes release out as official maps to everyone.

It'd make mappers very happy for their efforts which most of them don't seem to get enough appreciation for.. look at crap strike - games been using the same maps for ten years
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    brbrbrb learning to prefire and nade on non dust2 maps
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I would like to see UWE using some funding on final polishing on the community mappers projects that are almost finished, for example Jambi. Hire someone like mendasp/dux or whoever's good at final touches. Instead of the "over-priced" eclipse project that isn't being played enough anyway (mendasp even had to fix this map after it was produced and finalized). I mean if the maps aren't visually there yet, I think that's a no brainer way to go.

OK, so back to less grumpyface.

This map concept looks freaking nice. "Symbiosis" (Summit/biodome) ;)
    I hope someone picks this up and UWE takes their time to help the community mappers get the competetively AND pub (top) playable maps fixed so everyone can enjoy them.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    There has actually been a lot more interaction with the community going on that the general public is not aware of, and you can expect to hear some announcements coming up soon.

It is a big leap to go from something community made, to something that UWE releases officially. By slapping the "official" label on it and releasing it with the game, that means we assume a certain level of responsibility for it. That means insuring that the visual quality is in line with the rest of the official maps/models/etc., and that the new content is not causing bugs and large issues. This means it takes up a fair amount of UWE time both before, and possibly after release, as well as PT time to adequately test.
    Hey Cori, thanks for the information and nice words. I think you highlight something though.

A lot of people in the forum community are not exactly sure what is going on in NS2 development or what is to be expected for the future. To the point where hearing this information from you is actually somewhat surprising and reassuring.

Do you think it would be possible to have a blog update about stuff in the pipeline for NS2 dev? I mean, even if the information is tentative and concerning possibilities.. it would be nice to know.

Perhaps I should be pinging @Hugh for this though.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Scatter wrote: »
    brbrbrb learning to prefire and nade on non dust2 maps

I want to work on my weaker maps positniong/nades

but the more I play csgo the more I see how inconsistent the game is, even just swapping from server to server.. it's one of the few games that doesn't keep consistent while playing.. like source was easy but it was consistent.. everything always happened the same way

in GO you may miss a shot on someones head just because of the tiny spread, and the other guy may get it.. it's just ugh.. wish better games were more popular is what im getting at
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited March 2014
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    fix 263 damn .. pleaseeeee...!!!
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    RadimaX wrote: »

Yes, a direct comparison between concept art and an in-game render makes it a valid point.
    Golden wrote: »
    direct comparison between concept art and an in-game render makes it a valid point.
    Should i use a printscreen of the graybox? i did not have time to start game and go ingame i just took random image. the question is still the same, no matter what image is used.

• PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How dare you put your mapping on hold to get married! It's an outrage! Garble! Gabble!
    (congratulations :D)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Insane wrote: »
    We're not done with NS2 at all and have some really cool stuff on the horizon; and when we're ready to talk about what else we're doing I'm confident people will be excited about that too.

Damn that horizon, it's always so far away!!!
    edited March 2014
    Insane wrote: »
    I stopped working on Derelict to work on Biodome and then Eclipse, as well as taking a break to get married and go on honeymoon. we're not done with NS2

Congratulations and Thx, that all i wanted to hear, i recently read no one was planning on continue on Discovery now this post is around and was bummed out to see that my favorite game of all times had to suffer for some fish exploration.

You are right i should compared two INGAME images,1 of Derelict and 1 of Subnautica, only problem is none of those are DONE! Derelict was not done and subnautica was not done at the time i copy links and i took images of what was out there to ask a the question since i could not go ingame to compare.

i told olmy in the past that biodome was the best looking map i have seen in 27 years of time, until i saw Eclipse and the more maps you guys put out the front door the better. So keep them coming is all im saying! no matter what artset is going to be used, i would not mind summit themed map, or another docking terminal or even exotic map on kahaara, haha maby thats where you arrive?

Ultimatly i think just mew MAPS in general is what id like to see from ns2 not cosmetics or slow exploration game :P but that is only my own opinion and there is maby people that want the opposite (luckely they get both) so happy to read all the opinions on the matter and comments about natural selection maps!
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I (..) was bummed out to see that my favorite game of all times had to suffer for some fish exploration.

I lolled
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited March 2014
    MF, are you telling me you don't like the immersive 30 fps drop of falls in biodome? Definitely worth new art every map! /sarcasmoff

I completely agree with B1, Jambi is a great map. IMO one of the best competitive maps currently & that's a community map. Caged is pretty close aswell and plays out quite well.
    Icarus could & should be picked up and fixed aswell.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nezz wrote: »
    MF, are you telling me you don't like the immersive 30 fps drop of falls in biodome? Definitely worth new art every map! /sarcasmoff

I completely agree with B1, Jambi is a great map. IMO one of the best competitive maps currently & that's a community map. Caged is pretty close aswell and plays out quite well.

What is your comp/settings? I do not get a massive drop in falls at all.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oh, great. I finally realize that I don't have enough time and/or energy to make an ns2 map and now you release new assets :\

y u do this D:
    Hugh wrote: »
    It's better to reach for the moon and hit low Earth Kerbin orbit that reach for the clouds and fall back to Earth.

Dude all you need is more boosters.
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    If I was a UWE developer and wanted to lower my self esteem in this community I would definitely release a map.
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I can't believe people are moaning because UWE have released something they have dropped from development, for the community to play with. Seriously, If people keep complaining everytime UWE releases something like this, they'll just do what other companies do and keep it all secret. People complain they don't know what UWE are working on, then they release something like this, and people start moaning.

UWE just can't win. @Insane, I really appreciate this, I hope we continue to see this kind of thing from yourself and other UWE dev's :D

Just in case I was misinterpreted. That was my point.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh UWE, you never stop amazing me. :x
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I can't believe people are moaning because UWE have released something they have dropped from development, for the community to play with. Seriously, If people keep complaining everytime UWE releases something like this, they'll just do what other companies do and keep it all secret. People complain they don't know what UWE are working on, then they release something like this, and people start moaning.

UWE just can't win. @Insane, I really appreciate this, I hope we continue to see this kind of thing from yourself and other UWE dev's :D
    I think this time complaining comes from the increasing feel, that NS2 is beeing abandoned more and more. Coupled with latest dissapointment of the useless pseudo-matchmaking.
    The only thing UWE would surprise us with is getting some core issues (performance etc.) fixed in their last builds, before they completely transist into pure NS2 maintenance phase. But the possibility of getting another sloppy build like Dropship, that will introduce more bugs than fixing them, is quite high...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    nezz wrote: »

What is your comp/settings? I do not get a massive drop in falls at all.
    Everyone gets a massive drop in falls no matter their rig. Thats how badly optimised/designed that part of the map is.

Only you won't actually notice it much if you have a super high end gpu. And not everyone has a super high end gpu.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    3 quality mappers announced they are taking the reins, can't wait to see what comes of this !
  • snowfrostifysnowfrostify Norway Join Date: 2014-04-03 Member: 195113Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    i really want this map to be finished and released