Game broken since 246

QactisQactis North Carolina Join Date: 2014-03-10 Member: 194633Members
Attempting to load a game fails, brings me back to the main menu with the menu options missing.

Same for any server I pick

IBIS Gaming
DBZgaming
UWE Official
Black Mesa
King Kahuna Games
etcetcetc

Things I have already tried:
- Restarting
- Verifying Game Cache
- Reinstalling
- Deleting everything pertaining to NS2 in %AppData% and all NS2 files in SteamApps\Common\ and reinstalling NS2
- Deleting NaturalSelection2\lua_test folder and verifying game cache
- Deleting ns2\lua folder and verifying game cache
- Doublechecking firewall access and do not have anti-virus

I AM able to host my own server, but unable to join any other.

Bringing up the console after a failed game load shows that most lua files are failing consistency check. "Your game files do not match the servers. Try verifying the game cache, or maybe an update just came out"

There is no method of downloading the files that an update changes, except whatever steam does, or rather doesn't.

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Check to make sure all your mods are disabled. Try connecting to our YO server from my sig, it's completely vanilla and report back with a copy of your info from techsupport.exe in your NS2 folder. Thanks!
  • QactisQactis North Carolina Join Date: 2014-03-10 Member: 194633Members
    Sorry .zip is inefficient. Here's a 7z
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Ok so according to your log, you're still downloading mods, old mods which are casuing your NS2 build to revert to an earlier version.

You need to turn off all your mods in the mods section. Then restart NS2 and it should work fine.
    I have 0 mods turned on. After many bugs in the main menu I unsubbed all mods, deleted the workshop folders as well. All mods I have now are downloaded from servers I've attempted to join.

Proof:
    744B37B27966326F35EEFD2B49C2333BC86E520A
    3260B381689404AEB7341033981023336E5C6CC1
    edited March 2014
    Ok, so I know you've already sort of done this....but try this.

Follow my Nuke from Orbit guide in my sig. Reboot your PC.

Let Steam download a new copy of NS2. It looks like you only have 1 Harddrive in your system, if this is the case, once NS2 is downloaded DO NOT OPEN IT and copy the ENTIRE NS2 folder in your steamapps/common/natural selection 2/ folder to your DESKTOP. Then try launching NS2 from the DESKTOP copy. Connect to a VANILLA SERVER ONLY LIKE YOCLAN, NOT A MODDED SERVER.

If you have a 2nd HDD in your system, install NS2 to the different HDD.

If you're still having issues, you might want to run a Memtest+ on your system, as faulty RAM can mean copying files failure.
    Copying the source folder to desktop and running it from there seems to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure I understand why this is
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like him already. Last question is it safe to move the folder on desktop BACK to the steam folder or should I just leave it alone?
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Obraxis can you fix my life next? :P
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Disable steam cloud for NS2 specifically
    Unsubscribe from the items through steam workshop
    Then delete the workshop folder in your appdata folder

That should permanently get rid of those mods