Titanfall?

IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Highly curious. Haven't lain my hands on it yet and I'd like to solicit the impressions someone has had of it compared to NS.

From what I can see it has a high degree of mobility as a factor in gameplay much like playing aliens. Are the two comparable?

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Preloading it now. It's the first MP shooter I've been excited about in a while, hope it doesn't disappoint.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2014
    Reading RPS it sounds like a Call of Dutyfield: Battle Ops 4 - with wannabe-parkour added to the mix. Absolutely no intention of grabbing it before I hear some serious praise. I make a point of not buying anything from the Worst Company of the Year anyhow.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    played the beta.. was not impressed.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited March 2014
    Not really from the beta it felt extremly casual
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    it's crap for PC. the walljump mechanic was cool thou. rest boring.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    One thing I've been wondering: Is there anything about the way that the Titans in TitanFall move/behave/are used that should be applied to the EXOs in NS2?
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    It was a terrible game. Got boring after a day and a bit.

It's like COD for people with even less patience, kill a lot, die a lot, no skill, same thing each round. Wall jumping was cool, everything else was below meh.
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "kill a lot, die a lot," Indeed, you do describe pubbers in NS2.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's 50 GB which feels truly absurd. What could possibly be in this game? whatever, I'll just finish downloading it tomorrow
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    It has some cool ideas, like the Epilogue for each round, and the wallrunning mechanic has some potential once people learn the maps.

There's no reason for it to weigh 50GBs, though. I'm not seeing where all the space went, other than a lot of very inconsequential voice acting that adds very little to the overall experience, since the campaign is entirely throwaway if it weren't required to unlock the other two Titan chassis for customization. The campaign is also just poorly structured in general since it doesn't even matter whether you win or lose as either side in the campaign, a wasted opportunity and wasted space.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    From the beta videos I watched, the game would be better if there were no titans in it at all.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    but Jekt, that would mean you can't make people pay for Titan Skins, unlock Titans as DLC, and silly hats for Titans (you will lose half your potential revenue).
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I do however have to give then credit for the MANDATORY training when you start the game for the first time. It does a good job of explaining virtually every basic mechanic in the game and setting the tone for the rest of the game.

It's too bad that the campaign feels disjointed and without sufficient context for each battle. No unique set pieces to fight over that aren't already available by just playing multiplayer.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I liked it, I guess I'm in the minority here though!

Only issue I had was the no Australian server thing...
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I pre-ordered it, not impressed at paying for map packs with a "season-pass" though, EA are masters of ripping you off. This looks like it will fill the run'n'gun fix while NS2 will provide a nice tactical/team work fix. 8->
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    You'll have some hours of fun but that's it.

It is disappointing.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Like many others I tried the beta and was not impressed...

The game play itself was sort of fun and a little addicting, but it wasn't enough to counter all the things they did wrong with that game.

Here's a simple way to see if you'd like it or not... Do you like MW2, MW3, BO2, or Ghosts?

See because just like those games it has no community support whatsoever. So if you like clicking on a big button that says "play" and having ZERO control over what game it places you in, then you 'might' like Titanfall.

Though the smart pistol (aka in-game aimbot) is possibly the most overpowered weapon ever to grace the world of first person shooters. (Especially for those who have skill and can aim)

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    The movement mechanics and 6vs6 format originally got me pretty excited. Then I found out about the addition of AI grunts and aimbot pistols...
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited March 2014
    I played the beta for a few days. The game felt a lot like CoD. The parkour is crazy and lets you vault up 2-storey buildings and wallrun along multiple buildings. As long as you jump to another wall, gravity will never get the better of you.

The rounds were really short (4 mins?) and there was a lot of downtime between every match (~70s).

There are bots that fight alongside players that only really serve to add atmosphere and which also draw your attention when you are being shot by a real player.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Played beta, it was really awesome. Overall shooting mechanics are very callofdutish. And I really can't stand CoD, been playing every CoD that was on free weekend and uninstalling it after 15 minutes (no joke, my personal best was 20 minutes when I tried MW3 on 2nd free weekend).
    Titanfall, on the other side, is very cool once you get familiar with parkour. I'm pretty sure having experience as a skulk gave me huge advantage over casual first time beta players.

And grunts, I love them grunts. They really add great atmosphere to the game, with their comments and other things they do. You don't have to kill them or be afraid that they can kill you, they are too weak for anything, but creating coop atmosphere. This makes Titanfall less competitive and more popcorn, which I like. Really unique thing to MP shooter.

Aimbot pistol? Might as well be called anti-bot pistol. You can't kill a pilot with this thing, unless it's a groundpilot that can't parkour. Every time I was dead to it, I analyzed killcam and I always was like 'man I'm safe here, gotta run in straight line *locked on* *dead*'. Every time I killed a pilot with smart pistol it was a groundpilot noob, who'd die to any SMG faster that aimbot pistol.

In conclusion, very good game that combines familiar elements from multiple other games into something never seen before. At least worth a single try.

Oh, and I hope there will be something like 'Pilot arena' mode, where there are only pilots with not titans or bots. Fighting pilots as a pilot is the most fun thing in this game.

BTW, NS2 has most of the core elements titanfall has, i.e. jetpacks, wallrunning, mechs, grunts (babblers lol). I have a feeling that making ExoFall mod should be not overly hard. Making exos 3x bigger, faster accelerating jetpacks with little fuel that recharges when you touch the surface, wallrunnig that lasts only for 1.5 seconds and if you speed is higher than X. Then CCs drop randomly one the map, opens and you get 4-5 marine bots with babbler-like AI that don't jump and shoots instead of biting. And there, you have it. ExoFall.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited March 2014
    Desther wrote: »
    There are bots that fight alongside players that only really serve to add atmosphere and which also draw your attention when you are being shot by a real player.

Don't forget the REAL purpose of the bots.

They allow the really bad 0-25 type player to focus on bots and feel like they are "skilled" - Who cares if they can't kill pilots, they can wipe up 40-50-60 bots per game...

They allow the good 25-0 type player to walk around and feel like a god. - Not only can they kill pilots, they can wipe up anywhere from 80-150 bots per game...

It's all about boosting player "kills" in order to make casual players feel like they are as skilled as competitive pro players.

• SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    The 50gb is because of uncompressed audio, read it somewhere and its really the only thing that make sense unless there is locked expansions or something in the game
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm pretty sure this belongs in the off topic/other part of the forums
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    The game concept was a great idea. Overall execution was average. The game looks pretty and is about as fun as a current Battlefield game if it had mechs instead of tanks. I could see myself buying it once it drops to 40$ but can't justify it at its release price.

Now the game I will be buying soon...
    Dark Souls 2.
    *giggles*
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I played the hell out of the beta, loved every second of it. I have it preloaded and ready to go. And since Brink was such a disappointment for me with its free movement system, it's nice to see a game like Titanfall get a movement system like that right. I wouldn't compare Titanfall and Ns2, though.
  • ZainyZainy Join Date: 2007-03-30 Member: 60525Members
    Give skulks shotguns and the ability to ride exos every two minutes on a map with three resource nodes and you are set. If you think that ain't fun, we aren't friends.

Waiting for the eventual NS2 titanfall mod...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Your wish is my command, @Idleray!

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    ^^ "Enjoy it, but understand why you are enjoying it" :))
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    "Enjoy it, but understand why you are enjoying it"
    Hugh-Challenge: Explain NS2 to us @Hugh. :)