Exosuits - Viability in competitive matches - Possible Solution

ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
One of the primary issues (apart from being made of aluminium foil) of exos has been their maneuverability on the map.

One solution I can think of to making them more viable is to create a personal beacon, in which an exo can select an Observatory (in the same manner as aliens choosing a spawn point). This would open up the possibility of using Observatories as an offensive tool, require investment in resources, but still provide viability to get exos around the map in an effective manner.

Thoughts?

Comments

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    *Moved to Ideas & Suggestions*
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Actually quite an interesting idea, currently Marines interact with buildings more than one might expect, but could certainly be extended to more unique interactions - put subnau on hold and back moar NS2!!
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    no. that's not the problem with exos in competetive matches.

if mobility was a problem cat packs would've solved exos a long time ago. You can already do this by building an obs/cc in the middle TP of many maps.

The actual problem is tech/pres costs and how weak they are without support.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited February 2014
    Jekt wrote: »
    Replace that stupid fist with a welder and go from there.

^^ This

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    Here's the thing about EXO's with small competitive teams. You have 5 marines on the field. now place one of them in an exo, who requires at least one baby sitter with a welder. Which leaves you with 3 available marines to set up any kind of map presence. Of course the EXO pilot could enter and exit constantly to fix the damage. But the time it takes to get out, fix the tin can and get back in certainly eats away at map presence, potential firepower placed into aliens or alien structures and also makes him quite vulnerable.

What good is all that firepower, if you can't get it into position effectively and it taking up valuable space in the techtree research cycle. Leaving your team behind in tech/timing/resources/morale :P

Welder tool on EXO, that's the most interesting idea I've seen in a while for the EXO!

Compare that to:
    5 marines that can do whatever the hell they want, at speeds an EXO can only dream of...
       5 aliens that can do whatever the hell they want, at speeds an EXO can only dream of...
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited February 2014
    Not sure if people are fully considering the personal beacon idea to it's conclusion.

The marine has control of when to escape any situation. Or, visa versa, to support areas under fire. With the beacon being linked to an observatory and not a cc, the team can create zones to cover and block. Most marines don't make 1v1 engagements with teched aliens at the stage of the game when exos are hitting the field anyway so a baby sitter makes no difference to typical strategy.

I would suggest reducing tier 1 exos to 30 res and add the welder fist as well. This would make it also more viable as an alternative to shotguns.

The way I see it is it can either be an alternative to phase gates, or a further support.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think a big thing to look into (before theory crafting new game changes) is that competitive teams tend to stick with what they see as efficient, and do not committ to the whole gamut of possibilities.

That means, teams could be stuck in a meta frame of what tactics and upgrades are worth it due to their success. Exos happen to cost a bunch and are later game (see less action just due to time constraints). They could totally be viable in some pocket strat or given some team's skill set, but the current meta strategies discourage that.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not particularly creative when it comes to these things, but like turtsmcgurt I can't really think of a way to make exos viable in competitive that wouldn't make them crazy OP in pubs.
  • ReapMysterReapMyster Australia Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192954Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    So.... from what I'm reading... Don't change exo's (even though they're broken) because we don't know what impact the changes will have? That it is risky to provide marines with additional strategies because things will change (even though marines are currently limited in their strategies)?

Aren't Onos' OP in pubs when there are 6 of them? Why is it so much worse when it's the same for exos?

Sure test changes. Experiment with them (say in a balance mod?). But don't say no because it would be hard or you can't predict an outcome.

I'm sure there are ways to balance cost and impact.

You could make single exos cheaper and weaker, but keep the firepower.
    You could make exos more expensive but stronger
    You could implement additional features (such as personal beacon) to allow them to provide a greater map presence.

These ideas shouldn't act in isolation. I just think that so much time has been spent to make exos a feature, and given the small community they don't even get used (rightly so) as they are perceived as a waste of resources. As a result there is minimum effort to fix an accepted issue.

Other aspects get tweaked (such as shotgun spread / damage etc.) because they won't greatly impact the status quo. I think that you're just wasting opportunities if you don't invest in experimentation with a significant feature which is no longer considered significant.

There needs to be a fix.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2014
    Jekt wrote: »
    Replace that stupid gun with a fist and go from there.
    Fixed that for ya!

Maybe give a little backpack to the exosuit that spawns periodic medpacks and ammopacks?
    I'd be weary about any change that claims to make exos better in comp because it's likely to make them completely OP in pubs.

Matters how the change is brought about.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ReapMyster wrote: »
    So.... from what I'm reading... Don't change exo's (even though they're broken) because we don't know what impact the changes will have? That it is risky to provide marines with additional strategies because things will change (even though marines are currently limited in their strategies)?

Exos aren't broken. I'm quite happy with how they are balanced for pub play. Let's also not forget that marines just went 13-2 in the WC, so clearly they're holding their own even without exos.
    Aren't Onos' OP in pubs when there are 6 of them? Why is it so much worse when it's the same for exos?

If you need 6 of something for it to be OP, then it isn't OP. It's just balanced. If your suggested change were to be implemented, it wouldn't take six exos to be OP. One would be enough.

• maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    How about a heavy armor option... For 5-10 res I get 50ish extra armor...
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    People keep trying to solve what they see is an issue with exo mobility.

There is no such issue.

There is simply no reason to pay 100 tres and 40 pres for something that is limited to assaulting fortified positions. It cannot recap, pinch lifeforms, or defend well. All it does is attack.
    actually i don't know why I'm spending so much time trying to explain this.

its a bunch of people throwing out random ideas because they don't have any experience with the problem and don't' even understand why it exists.

the one guy in the thread who can claim some competitive experience has the only idea worth exploring.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exo's make a brilliant solo base defender in late game and as a wall of pain in a coordinated push they rock. In public games with everyone doing their own thang not so good and they get a bad rep because of people not knowing how to use them, same goes for Ono's (trust me I always over cook it as onos :(( ) <3
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The exo is a prime example of a feature that's implemented on a whim and not because it's needed to fill a role.
    A bunch of people throwing out ideas is better than a bunch of people complaining that they know what the real issue is and getting on their high horse about how noone understands competitive play, without providing any real solutions.

And you can't tell me that pinching isn't about mobility

I don't know why you waste your time on these threads either. You're certainly not providing anything positive in posting on them.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    I want a mod that pits 2 dual fist exos against each other in a battle of champions...

Now where have I seen that before...
    DSC00954.JPG

/derail lol

But anyway, like kaneh said, the res investment is just to high for a unit that doesn't have a whole lot of purposes. They really are not viable when a few catpacked/jetpack marines can match their dps. In NS1, there was the heavy armor which was a much better option. Competitive balance is in a really good spot right now imo. I would just accept the fact exos just do not have a spot in comp and leave it at that.
    You're basing your view on the idea that the people making suggestions haven't played competitively which is incorrect. I may not be a world renowned scientist in the international community but I'm not ignorant to the ins and outs of competitive play.

And anyway if you're suggesting that people can't come into a forum called "ideas and suggestions" and provide ideas and suggestions because you've deemed them ignorant based on your ignorance then I don't see the point of a community forum. Don't defend your negative attitude by saying your an academic.

Mobility isn't just about moving fast, it's about map presence. The idea behind personal beacon was to increase map presence under specific conditions. This does not solve the problem completely as you've stated it is not a simple fix. However if you adjust and test several variables (I.e welders and cost) you may find improvements. Or not, it may not work, but that's the idea of providing ideas, they may not end up being solutions, but sometimes you have to try to think outside the box.

This is not an anti vaccine debate.
    uhhh I'm not negative. I'm trying to correct assumptions.

You're still advocating bigger engines when we have square wheels.
    I'm actually arguing change the wheels but also make sure the engine will run in a race.
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    "But the time it takes to get out, fix the tin can and get back in certainly eats away at map presence, potential firepower placed into aliens or alien structures and also makes him quite vulnerable.

What good is all that firepower, if you can't get it into position effectively and it taking up valuable space in the techtree research cycle. Leaving your team behind in tech/timing/resources/morale"

How about we leave the Exo speed alone and allow them to spawn up to 2 Macs (3-5 res) in the same manner that a gorge spawns a clog or hydra. The Macs are set to follow that exo only but could repair marines, the Exo or build buildings without the pilot getting out of the Exo (and would do so only when the Exo is at full health).

It's much slower than a marine building but that keeps it from being OP. Mac's are easy enough to take out that they won't make the exo's invulnerable (or really make much difference if your rushed by 3-4). I also like that it makes bile more attactive.

That only solves the issue of them being so limited in role, other issues may need to be looked at before we ever see any in comp play.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited March 2014
    Kbpringle wrote: »
    How about we leave the Exo speed alone and allow them to spawn up to 2 Macs (3-5 res) in the same manner that a gorge spawns a clog or hydra. The Macs are set to follow that exo only but could repair marines, the Exo or build buildings without the pilot getting out of the Exo (and would do so only when the Exo is at full health).

It's much slower than a marine building but that keeps it from being OP. Mac's are easy enough to take out that they won't make the exo's invulnerable (or really make much difference if your rushed by 3-4). I also like that it makes bile more attactive.

This is probably the best idea so far in my humble opinion.

• clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah nice idea about the macs. It should also require a robotics factory where the macs come from, and if the exo want new macs he should head back to pick them up.

I also would like some observer mechanism in an exo where the exo can get a quick small radius scan for 1 or 2 res.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hmm Exo has unlimited bullets = Exo is a walking ammo dispenser.

With a welder arm, they would be very effective support.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    About the weak without support thingy.

weird idea!
    How about we give a toggle. If you swap it on, exo gains a strong permanent nano shield but loses the ability to walk. (can still turn)
    While we are at it, remove them from the beacon.

What you think, may enable them to live longer solo if they hold their ground? (guess it needs some time to toggle inbetween)

Bit like the tanks from starcraft 2.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited March 2014
    did i hear duble fist exo? :D old pic from the past

2tHMrbP.jpg