Yet another fps thread

weirdiolioweirdiolio In your basement Join Date: 2014-03-03 Member: 194510Members
Well.. Here we go

I've been having fps around the high 20's, even when I turn off all graphical enhancements. My frames also drop down to the teens when in
highly populated areas

My specs (Laptop)

Geforce GT 750M

Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 ghz

8 gigs of RAM

60hz 1920x1080 screen

Up to date drivers

Windows 8 (Not 8.1)

Comments

• DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is quite sad to hear.

Have you tried tweaking settings in your nVidia control panel? Sometimes you can force the card to perform at a lower level than is possible to specify in-game. Just thinking out loud...
  • weirdiolioweirdiolio In your basement Join Date: 2014-03-03 Member: 194510Members
    DarkATi wrote: »
    That is quite sad to hear.

Have you tried tweaking settings in your nVidia control panel? Sometimes you can force the card to perform at a lower level than is possible to specify in-game. Just thinking out loud...
    I have... Sadly, this has no effect

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Your specs are good enough, so that's one problem that isn't it...
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    Lower your resolution.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    Your specs are good enough, so that's one problem that isn't it...

Sadly not for those "highly populated areas" though, with just 2.4 Jiggawatt apparently :( Could it be downclocking automatically, when it is getting too hot perhaps?

Are those numbers for NVIDIA similar to ATI/AMD? As in a "x5x" range is a mid/lower range card, while the "x8x" range are the gaming performance cards? I've been out of the Hardware circuit a bit too long :P
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    make sure your CPU is set on full power and is not automatically down clocking. Laptops tend to do that for heat and battery reasons.

If it is for heat reasons... yikes!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This can often be forced through the "power options" in windows by manually modifying the High profile setting (and then selecting it after) to never go below say something like 95% CPU etc.
    OR you disable speed step or equivalent in Bios
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I believe can pull similar through put on my ultrabook and that's a 620m and a i7-3517. You should be able to do better. I would guess as Iron horse mentioned that you will find that having it on anything other than max performance will kill you on the fps side due to cpu throttling. In my case, I am also GPU limited as the 620M is not exactly a high performance card so I tend to play at 1024x768. But I want to say im stable there with the gpu limiting me to like 50~60 fps on low.

The big thing is to run with r_stats on and check the waiting for gpu time. Basically that number or waiting for render thread should be 0. If you are waiting for gpu make sure ns2 is using the right card. If its 0 check you power settings.

\

• DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As someone else already said, try running the game in 720p rather than 1080p. That should help some. Also, as again mentioned by others, check your power settings in Windows and make sure that it is set for best performance and not conservation of your battery-life.

Then come back here and let us know how that worked for ya.