Why we should remove the "Vote Concede" option

TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
I've been playing Natural Selection since it first dropped way, waaay back when as a mod. Been playing NS2 since the early Alpha days. I can't count how many just absolutely EPIC comeback game's I've had, both as a Marine or Alien, where our team was turtled up all the way back to our main starting base/hive. Then slowly but surely we rally together and claw our way back. Sure, most games ended in defeat, some games ended with everyone hopping into the ready room, but there were those few where against all odds we won.

Nowadays I haven't seen any games end the way they're supposed to. Every losing side I've been apart of simply votes to give up. Sometimes, sure, things are bleak, but just because we're down to one RT doesn't automatically mean they've won! Giving everybody the option to just quit and start a new game is such a cop-out, and for me, takes away a huge part of the game for me. I love getting backed into a corner, it drives me to want to try harder, to push deeper, to rally the troops...

But alas, it's so easy to just say "Welp, we had a good run, let's give them this one and try again." I hate it. I admit I've been one to start the vote to concede...it is just too easy to accept defeat and quit. Because that's all it is, an easy way out.

Maybe I'm wrong, and these epic comebacks are still happening but somehow I'm missing them. Otherwise, I think giving teams this option just takes out a huge part of the fun. It drives away the competitive spirit of the players. Even before, in my opinion, the ready room quits were never this often. The option is just too inviting.

TL;DR: I'd like the vote option to concede should be removed because it kills the competitive spirit in players by giving them an easy way out, myself included.

Comments

• TheRev709TheRev709 Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186330Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hobocop wrote: »
    Then people will either just F4 or leave the server.

Removing the vote solves nothing.

I disagree. Sure, a couple of people would F4 (though I never noticed much rage quitting), but not nearly on the same level as voting to concede. Before the option was added most people would fight down to the last IP/egg, while every-single-game where I've played this week have ended with one team conceding.

Can't anybody just take their defeat like a man?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I (and apparently most people) would rather start a new game that starts fresh rather than roll a loaded dice on whether or not continuing the current game will actually be fun or a waste of time.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I understand where you are coming from because I would like more games to fight to the last hive/cc. At the same time I get just as many games where the opposing team can't/refuses to push just leading to 30 minutes of being out teched before they finally decide they are ready to win.

Someone also remembers with the past with rose tinted glasses. I remember servers would empty if the game got bad. F4 was just as rampant as concede.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    TheRev709 wrote: »
    Can't anybody just take their defeat like a man?

The problem is that playing out the rest of a game once it's "over" can often take 10-20 minutes or longer. It's not fun for the losing team (or even the winning team imo) when one team is down to 1-2 RT's and it becomes a base raping session.

It gets even worse because many times the winning team won't attack the CC/Hive but instead target the players who are helpless as they spawn in. (which just prolongs the game even more)

Removing concede wouldn't solve anything, people would give up all the same. (F4, hiding in vents, repeatedly killing themselves, etc)

I personally think there should be some sort of "game ending" effect that automatically comes into play when one team is down to 2 RT's or less. For example, a timer to give them a set amount of time to get back to 3 RT's and start regaining ground and if they can't then it auto concedes. - Likewise it could show the timer to the winning team so they know they have that much time to rush the hive (if they want to kill it)

Could even potentially lead to more comebacks. Timer comes up so the winning team decides to rush in, yet their relaxed defenses allows the losing team to take ground elsewhere and cancel the timer.

• craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo wrote: »
    I personally think there should be some sort of "game ending" effect that automatically comes into play when one team is down to 2 RT's or less. For example, a timer to give them a set amount of time to get back to 3 RT's and start regaining ground and if they can't then it auto concedes. - Likewise it could show the timer to the winning team so they know they have that much time to rush the hive (if they want to kill it)

I think that's a bad idea. Why even attack the base? Just kill their natural RTs, get 2 gorges to block the RTs and wait .. GG

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    OP, I can see your point, but sometimes it's obvious when it's over. If the other team has both of your natural RTs and your team can't even get out of base, it's over. Better to restart and try again then to continue getting roflstomped.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    For every epic comeback you have several painfully boring turtles.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Games tend to finish on rookie friendly servers I've noticed. On the higher skill/play time restricted servers concede will generally happen as soon as it's obvious the game is over, or (unfortunately) when something important is lost.

You'll have to put up with some greens but it seems like you'll enjoy those rounds better
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    If enough people on your team are convinced the game is lost, they will either leave, f4.. or play worse (mental thing).
    Be thankful concede is there, to give them something to end the game and still play it