Ministry of Silly Strats

124»

Comments

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Spend 45 minutes stubbornly refusing to get an armory, somehow avoiding being voted out by your team. Spend near infinite res on medpacks and ammo. Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as the aliens slowly tech up on 2 res nodes.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    *Welder Pack*

Only thing I would add to the Welder Pack Strat is to drop all weapons but the welder for the extra speed and maneuverability.

The only thing better than a pack of Welder Marines, is a pack of Ninja Welder Marines!

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spend 45 minutes stubbornly refusing to get an armory, somehow avoiding being voted out by your team. Spend near infinite res on medpacks and ammo. Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as the aliens slowly tech up on 2 res nodes.

I do mention dropping guns for a welder pack already.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    No need to drop the pistol, you gain no speed by doing so.
    Really? I've dropped my pistol, when still with rifle, and I swear that is a tad faster. Maybe if you don't have your rifle there is no difference.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    No need to drop the pistol, you gain no speed by doing so.
    Really? I've dropped my pistol, when still with rifle, and I swear that is a tad faster. Maybe if you don't have your rifle there is no difference.

Not tested while keeping hold of the rifle, but certainly when you drop your rifle, there's no need to drop your pistol as you will already be max speed :) Keep it for tagging those skulks who decide to run away when you start welding them :)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    AFAIK, Pistol was changed to not have any weight. Dropping it wont do anything.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    joshhh wrote: »
    AFAIK, Pistol was changed to not have any weight. Dropping it wont do anything.

b250, afaik.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow

What I posted above literally happened. That's why I posted it. It has nothing to do with you. The comm was also mad as hell at the people who kept trying to vote him out.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    how about the ninja arms lab. I do this occasionally when I want to mess with aliens. A really funny spot to put one in docking is on landing pad close to the window in terminal behind those crates. Even sneaky gorgies with their tunnels miss this more often than not. That way if you ever lose power you still have your upgrades. I actually have a similar concept to the homeless idea also but it is more like everything save for your ip and cc is built far away from your base. Also not all of the buildings have to be in the same rooms. I basically play it as if my marines were gorgies and move the buildings closer to the frontlines with them. I also enjoy messing with the aliens by placing an obs in almost every room so they can never surprise us and if they kill the obs I just replace it shortly thereafter.

What I posted above literally happened. That's why I posted it. It has nothing to do with you. The comm was also mad as hell at the people who kept trying to vote him out.

Sorry. Meant to quote benson. Somehow your post got in there.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    5 or 6 people dropping all weapons but axes, grouping up in close formation. marching slowly to the hive. :D
    All skulks fear the axe-paxe!
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    5 or 6 people dropping all weapons but axes, grouping up in close formation. marching slowly to the hive. :D
    Centepede
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Centepede

I think it is more a square or circle formations to be more effective:
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Gorge rush enemy chair, ONLY DROP TUNNELS.
    Use them to duck into and out of to dodge bullets, healspray your enemy to death.
    need 3-4 gorges for this to work. maybe a crag/shift/shade. :D
    First of all...

@AurOn2, YOU DARE DISAGREE WITH THE MINISTER!!!!!!!! :p
    Centipede

I called it centipede in the OP is what I was referencing. Yes. Duh. Your formations would work better. Not as silly as a group of people, axes out, crouching, walking like a centipede with coordinated axe strikes. When skulk comes break formation.
    Use them to duck into and out of to dodge bullets, healspray your enemy to death.
    That is in OP for sure. Don't remember which one. I have several forms of Gorge rushing.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reverse Turtle:

Run to Alien start and set up armory walls outside exits. Works "best" on Alien Data Core Start, or start where there aren't any vents to escape from.

Weld and defend armory walls as long as possible until Aliens concede. Have one marine devoted to back capping and focus on phase gates first to reinforce the marines defending the walls.

I don't think this would really ever work... ever, and armory walls don't help all that much against lower level life forms. But it could be fun. And it is definitely silly.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Reverse Turtle:

Run to Alien start and set up armory walls outside exits. Works "best" on Alien Data Core Start, or start where there aren't any vents to escape from.

Weld and defend armory walls as long as possible until Aliens concede. Have one marine devoted to back capping and focus on phase gates first to reinforce the marines defending the walls.

I don't think this would really ever work... ever, and armory walls don't help all that much against lower level life forms. But it could be fun. And it is definitely silly.

With turrets and mines at each wall it could :P

Good luck getting enough res to get beyond skulks (that sentries and mines destroy)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    First of all...

@AurOn2, YOU DARE DISAGREE WITH THE MINISTER!!!!!!!! :p
    Centipede

I called it centipede in the OP is what I was referencing. Yes. Duh. Your formations would work better. Not as silly as a group of people, axes out, crouching, walking like a centipede with coordinated axe strikes. When skulk comes break formation.
    That is in OP for sure. Don't remember which one. I have several forms of Gorge rushing.

Bonus points if the centipede is playing the 7 dwarfs song and jumping every so often (there was an old thread where one of the Australian clans (I think) did this in the warm up as skulks. rofl.
    Reverse Turtle:

This has potential for a silly strat. I like it. Its silly. Its fun, but not for long. You need to do this early game, and if you succeed you basically stacked. The aliens can't even concede yet either.

You would probably have to stack team to accomplish it though. I did something like this with sentries the other day. It was a 4v4 game. We did a 2, 1 split. I was the one. Map was decent. I went to gravity control and we build sentries. While the skulks were fighting the other two marines in hydro. I then ran through their hive and got sentries up in crew quarters too. Suddenly server filled up. We had no phasegates so it was hard to defend the sentries against 10 skulks rushing you. No bile is the only reason it worked. Recapped all resource towers and teched up really really quick.
    edited October 2016
    Bump for greatness. An old thread from 2013. DO NOT CLOSE. Many strats may not work anymore.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As aliens rush xeno right off the bat, have 0 lifeforms or upgrades, aliens hard mode
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »
    Bump for greatness. An old thread from 2013. DO NOT CLOSE. Many strats may not work anymore.

"Guys, remember my old thread from three years ago? Man, wasn't that awesome?" :P
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2016
    The relo + shotgun rush

it was 0-3 in by that round, so we figured a silly strat was the only way to save ourselves from going 0-4
    Mouse wrote: »
    The relo + shotgun rush

it was 0-3 in by that round, so we figured a silly strat was the only way to save ourselves from going 0-4

This is brilliant. I was confused why the drifter auto cloaked, until I checked the video date...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    BTW, I recycled the IP because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford shotguns, a 2nd armoury and a 2nd command chair with IP.
    Also, watch the skulk movements on the mini map. They came very close to running into us and ruining everything multiple times :smiley: