NS2 Trial available?

The_SupersonicThe_Supersonic Germany Join Date: 2013-12-25 Member: 190777Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited December 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi guys,

short question: Does a trial edition of NS2 exist? And/Or will there be a trial option in the future?

I ask because I will be part of a medium sized LAN party in Germany with around 300 players (Link: http://www.lanrena.de). Although I am really happy to go there, there is one problem which grew in the last years. Most games aren't made to play over local networks. Because of this year after year the same games are played and LAN partys are getting boring. But NS2 could be the missing fun multiplicator!

I am sure most guests will already know NS from its old mod times and also few have already bought NS2 - like myself. But there will be also some players, who for sure never heard anything of NS or at least would want to play NS2 before buying it. Therefore I need the trial option for the party, which takes place from 28th to 30th March 2014. If this isn't planned, maybe UnknownWorlds will grant 300 trial keys, because it's a good opportunity for marketing ;).

P.S.: Please note that this isn't an official request from lanrena.de. They don't know anything about my request and I only want to get the answer IF there is a possibility to get a trial option for NS2 until the given date, or if UnknownWorlds are willing to deliver keys at all. If so, I will contact the promoters of the LAN party and let them handle further actions.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    None that I know of as it is an online game only. You can find the game for as little as $1USD in some places at some times though, shouldn't kill you.
  • The_SupersonicThe_Supersonic Germany Join Date: 2013-12-25 Member: 190777Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    None that I know of as it is an online game only. You can find the game for as little as $1USD in some places at some times though, shouldn't kill you.

The 1$ Humble Bundle with NS2 within will not popup within the next months again, and its questionable if it will in the future because they never had the same packages in the past. And on other sites NS2 cost at minimum 10-15$ which is far to expensive to be bought by the promoters and gifted to all guests.

Sure some keys can be bought and be used as tournament prices, but as mentioned before - with a trial phase it would be a grate promotion for Natural Selection.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Why not shoot the devs an email? You might be surprised at what UWE would be willing to do. Again, you might not be. Stranger things have happened.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not shoot the devs an email? You might be surprised at what UWE would be willing to do. Again, you might not be. Stranger things have happened.
    This sounds like a great option.

Really nice of you to consider NS2 as a LAN game for such an event.
  • The_SupersonicThe_Supersonic Germany Join Date: 2013-12-25 Member: 190777Members, Reinforced - Supporter

Well :D i would, but honestly, i am unable to find a official E-Mail Adress for this kind of .. hmm Press/Marketing Request? If you can redirect me to the correct page or send me an mail adress i will give a shoot for sure.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    unknownworlds.com/about/

A lot of email and twitter contacts there. Hugh would probably the one to talk to I guess.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Try @hugh I'm sure he would be pleased to answer your message :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Doesn't all information have to be sent through you though first @Roobubba ?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You'll notice I kept out of the community manager thread ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    If you can't reach Hugh, let me know
    Hey Guys,

thanks a lot for all answers. I've send @Hugh an Message and waiting now for an Answer :)
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Man, I just gifted my last copy of NS2 to RedDog. :/ I'll keep an eye out here and if you still want the game, let me know.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @The_Supersonic

PM me man, got a few copies to throw your way if you still need.
    Hi @Nexus and @RedDog,

i really appreciate your offer to gift your precious keys, but before you throw your gold package into my direction, i want to wait for @Hugh 's reply :) With a little bit luck, you can gift your Keys to some else.

As soon as i get new information i will post it here :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    uuuhmm.. is noone remembering that uwe often tries to get ns2 on the free weekend runs on steam?
    Basicly wait for a ns2 free weekend.
    Hi @DC_Darkling,

maybe my Question at the first Post was a little bit short formulated. I would like to have the possilitiby to play NS2 as a Trial game for a 300 Player Lan-Party at a specific Date. I don't think my Luck will work out in this case with Steams Free Weekends. Also i think the promoters want some kind of 'security' about this topic :)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Man, I just gifted my last copy of NS2 to RedDog. :/ I'll keep an eye out here and if you still want the game, let me know.

i think the problem is that he needs like... 250 copies.

yeah, it seems like a no-brainer for UWE, introduce NS2 to some new people for the cost of some temporary keys.

if all else fails, make a new thread and ask for some help, i have a key floating around that i picked up from the humble bundle... literally a 5 dollar donation directly to UWE, don't even remember the other games in the package :) and nothing to charity. Other's might be in the same situation. Do you have harder numbers? it's a 300 person Lan, but how many games of NS2 will be going on?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    your best bet, especially now @Hugh is back, is to throw him a email or twitter and simply ask.
    your best bet, especially now @Hugh is back, is to throw him a email or twitter and simply ask.
    I think it'd be a good idea to set up a thread for this exact thing, with general information for temp keys for community driven events. if nothing else ns2 has a fairly motivated and passionate fanbase. It would be wise to take advantage of that as much as possible to spread the word.

if memory serves me right, and it often does not, uwe has already given limited timed keys out for lan events.
    if memory serves me right, and it often does not, uwe has already given limited timed keys out for lan events.

if that's true, even better, but some kind of faq thread might go miles to spreading that information further.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Generally Hugh handles these kinds of events on a case by case basis. In your case the scale is a lot larger than those I know he's done in the past (at least informally) but he's a nice guy and you two can sort out the details.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    12-32 keys should do fine for an event that size. Players will split up into groups anyways and play their ideal game.
    I already try to get in touch with @Hugh. As soon i get his Word if or not its possible to get temp. keys i will inform you guys.

About the 'hard' numbers, well, the last time the Lan Party was full. To be 100% sure everybody can play NS2 on the LAN it needs those 300 Keys. But thats only my Opinion, maybe the Promoter even don't want to have them. As i mentioned in the first Post, this is only a 'does a Trial System exist, and is it possible to get those Keys' Thread from my side as Visitor. If an Official Member confirm this i will establish a Connection to the Lan Party Promoters, and then we (Gamers) will see what happens.

For me its only important to 'spread NS2' as far as possible - and i guess this LAN Party is a good opportunity for this.
    edited February 2014
    I am unable to get in touch with anybody from the unknownworlds Office. Even with the great support of IronHorse this hasn't changed until yet. It makes me really sad that even with two months repeat trying to establish a Dialog nothing has progressed so far. In the meantime my hope is to small to build on it anymore, and due the fact the lan Party will start in about one month i have to try other Options too.

As some of you already mentioned, some are willing to gift their valuable NS2 Keys. So i want to ask those who really want to do it to send me the Key(s) within a Private Message in this Board. In return i will make Photos & Screenshots of ppl playing NS2 at the LanParty, and create a Hall of Fame within the LanPartys BBS with every donor, sorted by donated key count & date. I also play with the thought to let every recipient hold a sign with "THX -name of the key donor", make a photo + send it the donor back :).

My current 'plan' is to get the Tournament registrated. After that i will start a Thread which everyone can ask for a donated key. They have to fullfill some req. like - don't have already NS2, open Steam Profil to check their demand, and they have to participate on the tournament.

One Team min. 5 ppl = 8 Teams = ~40 Keys should be enough. (-2 Keys for me and a Friend, we have it already).

P.s.: If you have better Ideas - post it !
  • AconitAconit Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185502Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got a key for you from previous humble bundle. I will PM it to you tonight ^^
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I am unable to get in touch with anybody from the unknownworlds Office. Even with the great support of IronHorse this hasn't changed until yet. It makes me really sad that even with two months repeat trying to establish a Dialog nothing has progressed so far. In the meantime my hope is to small to build on it anymore, and due the fact the lan Party will start in about one month i have to try other Options too.

As some of you already mentioned, some are willing to gift their valuable NS2 Keys. So i want to ask those who really want to do it to send me the Key(s) within a Private Message in this Board. In return i will make Photos & Screenshots of ppl playing NS2 at the LanParty, and create a Hall of Fame within the LanPartys BBS with every donor, sorted by donated key count & date. I also play with the thought to let every recipient hold a sign with "THX -name of the key donor", make a photo + send it the donor back :).

My current 'plan' is to get the Tournament registrated. After that i will start a Thread which everyone can ask for a donated key. They have to fullfill some req. like - don't have already NS2, open Steam Profil to check their demand, and they have to participate on the tournament.

One Team min. 5 ppl = 8 Teams = ~40 Keys should be enough. (-2 Keys for me and a Friend, we have it already).

P.s.: If you have better Ideas - post it !

So, Hugh hasn't responded? Maybe drop his name again.
    @F0rdPrefect , like this ?:

@Hugh - PLEASE ANSWER ^^.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @F0rdPrefect , like this ?:

@Hugh - PLEASE ANSWER ^^.

Right, like this