Commander bindings are CRAZY, will they ever work?

deadliftdeadlift Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 177994Members
I appreciate that the NS2 team is small with tons of stuff on their TODO list, and I'm really sorry to have to mention this again more than a year later.

First of all, Commander Bindings don't seem possible for keys like "'", ",", ".", and ";", which shouldn't bother most people, but it really, REALLY bothers me or anyone using a Dvorak layout. I've brought this to their attention a long time ago, and I'm sorry to have to talk about this again, because, unfortunately, they seem to have messed up commander bindings really badly, maybe trying to solve this issue, and just left it at that.

"LMAO NO ONE USES DVORAK, WHY SHOULD I CARE?"

This is not exactly about Dvorak or alternative layouts. I'm not sure if this happens with other users, I tried removing the Dvorak layout altogether, going back to QWERTY, setting it as my default, but... and I don't know how to explain this...

It's like NS2 wrote down somewhere that it thinks I have a Dvorak layout, and it won't "believe" that I'm using QWERTY again like a regular person, no matter how hard I try. When I switch to QWERTY, erase options.xml (or change it to default, makes no difference), set all commander keys to their default Q, W, E, etc., commander bindings STILL DON'T WORK. Even when I'm using the Dvorak layout, commander bindings only partially work if I set the keys to the default "Q W E A S D F Z X C V", which makes absolutely no sense (they should be "' , . A O E U ; Q J K", etc. to work in Dvorak, right? But they magically partially work, the exception being the punctuation keys, which are apparently not supported by the NS2 engine). I'd love to have an NS2 coder explain what the hell is going on here!

Also, I really appreciate the fact there is a "commander bindings" ingame GUI, unfortunately, it's horribly broken. Any changes to the bindings have either:

a) no effect
b) maps the key to their position on a QWERTY keyboard (like, if I bind "GRID SPOT 5 (DEFAULT S)" to "R", it magically maps it to P instead of O, which is the key R corresponds to in Dvorak. If you didn't understand what I just explained, don't worry, it makes no sense to me either!)
c) disables commander bindings altogether (if I bind "GRID SPOT 1 (DEFAULT Q)" to "Apostrophe" (which is the correct binding in Dvorak), ALL KEYS STOP WORKING, no matter which layout I'm using!)

It feels like they tried to fix the "alternative layouts" issue with some kind of clever hack or workaround, but instead of helping, the key binding logic has gone haywire.

My question is: Do you have any issues with commander bindings not working in general (no matter what layout you're using)? I'm afraid this might have something to do with it.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Commander bindings can be rebound, personally I like the defaults though, the grid works. Never understood why people hate it so much, except the azerty users etc.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bro, just send a message in the tech support. Just raging makes you look like an idiot.
  • deadliftdeadlift Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 177994Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Commander bindings can be rebound, personally I like the defaults though, the grid works. Never understood why people hate it so much, except the azerty users etc.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Bro, just send a message in the tech support. Just raging makes you look like an idiot.
    Just curious, do you guys have any problems with Commander bindings? Go to Training > Sandbox and get in the comm chair/hive. Press all the grid keys from Q to V, are they all working?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They all work. Or did a patch ago, haven't played in the latest.
    Ok, but check it next time before you play, all of them from Q to V, I'd like to know other people on the same boat. I've asked around, and found a few players telling me commander bindings don't work sometimes, maybe this is the reason.

They were restrictive before, when they couldn't be rebound. Now that they can, they became very erratic.

I'm having trouble believing I'm the only one experiencing this. :(
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    deadlift wrote: »
    Ok, but check it next time before you play, all of them from Q to V, I'd like to know other people on the same boat. I've asked around, and found a few players telling me commander bindings don't work sometimes, maybe this is the reason.

They were restrictive before, when they couldn't be rebound. Now that they can, they became very erratic.

I'm having trouble believing I'm the only one experiencing this. :(

Commander bindings work perfectly fine for me. The only reason people will tell you "it's broken" is because of a bug a few builds ago when they were introduced.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Either reassign them or just use the mouse. You can use mouse for everything and the only thing you might need to use keyboard (to make it quick) is bacons. (and yes, I meant to say bacon)
    coolitic wrote: »
    Either reassign them or just use the mouse. You can use mouse for everything and the only thing you might need to use keyboard (to make it quick) is bacons. (and yes, I meant to say bacon)
    I can't successfully reassign them, when I do, one of 3 things happen: the reassigned key does nothing, it's assigned to a key in the position of the bound key, not to the actual key (usually a key used for something else), or commander bindings stop working altogether.

I'm even using autohotkey scripts to get over these limitations and there are still keys that don't work!
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Commander bindings work perfectly fine for me. The only reason people will tell you "it's broken" is because of a bug a few builds ago when they were introduced.
    So what file should I delete to have it behave perfectly the way it does on yours? I've tried removing options.xml, no difference whatsoever. I've tried rebinding everything, regular and commander bindings, to either QWERTY or Dvorak, and I can't ever get ALL keys to work. :(
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Bro, an idiot would bother tech support before checking the forums for other people having the same issue, a solution or a workaround.

Just telling people they're raging when they have legitimate complaints makes you look like a jerk. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    deadlift wrote: »
    telling people they're raging is telling them that their message won't be absorbed that way and that there are better ways to communicate
    FTFY

I am in the "you could have just make a tech support post" crowd... even though i have been MIA from there and the rest of the forums for weeks.
    So i am closing this thread, since it is one individual's technical issue.

Feel free to post something in tech support and I will do my best to help there (and bring samusdroid along with me - the guy who did all the amazing key binding work)
This discussion has been closed.