The Professional Mentality: Coach Bitey's Big Breakdown

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
So while this is not being taught with the game ns2 open, the thing I go over can really help anyone get set on their path to reach their limit. Essentially it goes over the mentality of what it takes to become a champion and help push yourself to the limit of your ability. If anyone has any questions feel free to pop them up ^_^

twitch.tv/bitey/c/3676406

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Great Video Bitey :D Very Helpful. Now I have a decent computer, I have decided to take my gaming a bit more seriously, and this is a good general tutorial :D
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    @bitey You claim that at the highest level, aim is sort of the same amongst everyone, and the best players are the smartest. I'm probably at a div 2 skill level, but only because my aim is not that great. I believe to have carried myself using tactics and outsmarting. So basically, if I master my aim, I think I can be a premier level player because my tactics are already good. What's the best way to improve aim without naturally trying to outsmart the enemy? To improve just raw aim?
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    shriike wrote: »
    @bitey You claim that at the highest level, aim is sort of the same amongst everyone, and the best players are the smartest. I'm probably at a div 2 skill level, but only because my aim is not that great. I believe to have carried myself using tactics and outsmarting. So basically, if I master my aim, I think I can be a premier level player because my tactics are already good. What's the best way to improve aim without naturally trying to outsmart the enemy? To improve just raw aim?

Well the truth is you don't just outsmart someone by standing behind stuff, it's the on field in-fight actions that decide the victor. You could juke to the left or right at some key moment in the fight to shake your adversaries aim to force an opening if he counters however then it becomes the followup of you making your next decision. When I say outsmarting it means not just a single opponent either, the entire opposing team. It'll take the efforts of an intelligent and skilled group to make it into the premiere zone and be a contender.

As for a particular drill, you want to pick one thing to focus on and simply tunnel vision onto it. That's usually the most direct approach, putting yourself in situations where you need to aim well or fail. It's a lot of practicing with the intention of improvement, just like I said in the video. Another step is to think of ways to simplify aiming at your opponents, I believe somewhere in the video it talks about trying to form movement patterns and aim patterns. That might make your upcoming training sessions easier if you can create those kind of setups :D

Hope this helps, train hard and work hard! The effort will eventually pay off ^_^
    Bitey wrote: »

Well the truth is you don't just outsmart someone by standing behind stuff, it's the on field in-fight actions that decide the victor. You could juke to the left or right at some key moment in the fight to shake your adversaries aim to force an opening if he counters however then it becomes the followup of you making your next decision. When I say outsmarting it means not just a single opponent either, the entire opposing team. It'll take the efforts of an intelligent and skilled group to make it into the premiere zone and be a contender.

As for a particular drill, you want to pick one thing to focus on and simply tunnel vision onto it. That's usually the most direct approach, putting yourself in situations where you need to aim well or fail. It's a lot of practicing with the intention of improvement, just like I said in the video. Another step is to think of ways to simplify aiming at your opponents, I believe somewhere in the video it talks about trying to form movement patterns and aim patterns. That might make your upcoming training sessions easier if you can create those kind of setups :D

Hope this helps, train hard and work hard! The effort will eventually pay off ^_^
    Thanks man, btw, what's your opinion on training in pubs? I've heard it creates bad habits, but if i'm tunnel visioning tracking/twitching/etc... is it okay practicing in tunnel visioning in pubs?
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find myself weirdly excited at the moment... 'Scuse me a moment.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    is it okay practicing in tunnel visioning in pubs?

All the people who routinely dust me without apparently breaking a sweat probably think so.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    What are your gun loadouts for the railgun and rocketlauncher?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm pretty sure his beam is semi-trigger, liquid cooling, sniper/headshot barrel and idk what ammo.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    edited February 2014
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkjztwv65apdd53/MyMainGun.png This is from the Twitch page.

Really good video, although I'm not sure I would have used Loadout for the demonstration. Unreal Tournament 2004 would have been a better choice (Instagib is great for demonstrating twitch skills). Also, this would probably be better off in the General section, I imagine most of the players that browse the Competitive Play forum already know how to aim :)
    Thanks man, btw, what's your opinion on training in pubs? I've heard it creates bad habits, but if i'm tunnel visioning tracking/twitching/etc... is it okay practicing in tunnel visioning in pubs?

A good tip I would give to improve aiming skill is to slow your game down, and only pull the trigger when you are on target. Many players get over-excited and fire shots frantically, and miss most of them. If you slow down and only fire when you are on target, it will slow down your rate of fire, but your accuracy will improve, and over time you will get faster and faster while retaining the accuracy. Start against either easy mode bots or bad players, and work your way upwards each time you improve. As long as you don't spend all of your time fighting easy opponents, you shouldn't lose your edge.

Another good tip is gear. If you haven't already, buy yourself a 120 HZ, 1ms 24" monitor (I use a BenQ XL2411T), a gaming mouse with optical sensor (I use a Zowie AM) and a large mouse mat (mine is a Perixx 90cm x 44cm :))). While these aren't necessary, they certainly make it easier to improve.

Best tip of all I would give though, buy a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 and practice against the bots. Each time you do well, bump up the difficulty until you are playing on the hardest setting. It really will condition you to attack accurately as well as time your movements to defend. There are a large range of mutators that can be used to modify the game, and the Instagib one is great for improving your play, if you miss too many shots you will eventually get hit and die instantly.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

This article is a really good read for players that are looking to improve their mentality.

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "A good tip I would give to improve aiming skill is to slow your game down, and only pull the trigger when you are on target."

I think it was Mr. (as in Mr. not the clan) that suggested I burst fire to improve accuracy. A few months later I was apparently hacking, so I'd say it is really pertinent advice.

Plus the UT2004 advice is pretty cool - maybe play with autoskill on, a couple of hours later you'll be amazed at how far you've pushed the difficulty up.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Cheers Bitey.
    Ill admit I didnt watch the whole vid, but its not in my uwe forum favorites, just incase. I shall reserve some time to watch the whole thing if my aim keeps failing. :)
    Zalamael wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkjztwv65apdd53/MyMainGun.png This is from the Twitch page.

Really good video, although I'm not sure I would have used Loadout for the demonstration. Unreal Tournament 2004 would have been a better choice (Instagib is great for demonstrating twitch skills). Also, this would probably be better off in the General section, I imagine most of the players that browse the Competitive Play forum already know how to aim :)

A good tip I would give to improve aiming skill is to slow your game down, and only pull the trigger when you are on target. Many players get over-excited and fire shots frantically, and miss most of them. If you slow down and only fire when you are on target, it will slow down your rate of fire, but your accuracy will improve, and over time you will get faster and faster while retaining the accuracy. Start against either easy mode bots or bad players, and work your way upwards each time you improve. As long as you don't spend all of your time fighting easy opponents, you shouldn't lose your edge.

Another good tip is gear. If you haven't already, buy yourself a 120 HZ, 1ms 24" monitor (I use a BenQ XL2411T), a gaming mouse with optical sensor (I use a Zowie AM) and a large mouse mat (mine is a Perixx 90cm x 44cm :))). While these aren't necessary, they certainly make it easier to improve.

Best tip of all I would give though, buy a copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 and practice against the bots. Each time you do well, bump up the difficulty until you are playing on the hardest setting. It really will condition you to attack accurately as well as time your movements to defend. There are a large range of mutators that can be used to modify the game, and the Instagib one is great for improving your play, if you miss too many shots you will eventually get hit and die instantly.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html

This article is a really good read for players that are looking to improve their mentality.
    @Zalamael I did the same thing with quake live. It did seem to improve my aim. I should probably play more of it. Thanks for your input.