Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    My guess regarding the lag spikes is two fold.
    1) There is too much data associated with or in (directly or indirectly) via Mixins or the Player class(es) itself. To get everything sync'd up when a player joins, the server is doing too much.
    2) There are multiple Network and/or Server Event hooks that occur as a result of the player join sequence.

It's also possible that a logical flaw in the Gamerules is causing this issue as well. Knowing the precise steps to cause the issue would be a good start. Then it's going to be a matter of going through the stack trace and comparing that with the performance logs (plog tool). Any bug is solvable, it's just a matter of time and patience.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    To be honest, I feel the only way combat will work properly is through a re-write without using the hooks system.

As for the lag spikes, it is easy to replicate... Join a server, everytime someone joins a server, the game lags. As you have pointed out, I believe the problem is too much hooked code running on top of the base NS2 code.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    You would not expect hooks to be that busy though but we are talking lua here...

Hopefully some more people pickup combat modding b/c this mod in ns1 was awesome.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It isn't hooks and I'm pretty sure it's not net messages either
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    First step to polish it would be to remove all the not needed files like why is PlayerRanking.lua (260 version) in Combat?
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    edited January 2014
    Yea mod needs tons of rework as pulling so many files from the main mod - really bites but might as well do simple things with the lua like adding strong gorge tunnels LOL

In output/combat_Values.lua change/add values to this:

kGorgeTunnelCost = 0
    kTunnelEntranceHealth = 1500
    kTunnelEntranceArmor = 800
    kTunnelEntrancePointValue = 5
    kMatureTunnelEntranceHealth = 1600
    kMatureTunnelEntranceArmor = 1400

forgot to quote "These won't take effect on the client side until we import this file into the client side mods" so change to this value on your client also kGorgeTunnelCost = 0

• DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Quick question about entity overlap:

Since the NS2 team has implemented their own teleport_trigger, will the combat team be removing theirs, or continuing to let it override the default? I just need to know if I need to update co_portals or not.
  • FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    Hopefully someone picks up where the team left off, some of my fondest memories from NS1 were combat games, especially with the extra levels mod ontop of it (I think it had 50 levels?)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    HAHA, I think people are unaware the team are back....

Don't worry guys, something big is happening :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

I wasn't aware either, and I practically live here in the forums! Where's that announcement?
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    can't say much at this point, details to come so keep an eye out!
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    One can only hope you all roll this mod into its own thing as depending on the forever changing ns2/lua files really ...SUKs :-&
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    edited February 2014
    any chance of bringing back devour since it is only effective against jetpacks
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2014
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    any chance of bringing back devour since it is only effective against jetpacks

Im sure you could use devour on non jetpack marines too :P

You want to know whats good against jetpack Marines though.... Fades.... Lerks
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    Good to see you back. I bet Charlie just read it and was like: No way they gonna stop. Fire rockets, do some damage!
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a note, if you guys are working off of the current combat for whatever future projects (:D), I had been doing some work on the cause of current hitches, and might have found a lead on what is causing the problems. There is at least 2 separate issues that I had been working on resolving, and I can let you guys know what I had found if you like... just let me know.
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Drop Ship really......REALLY broke this mod! It seems as if you can't kill either the chair or the hive! Plus other problems....I love Combat and play it exclusively. Are you guys still actively working on the mod or is it dead?
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    mod is broken from new update as usual. hive/cc won't die at 1%
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    jonvall wrote: »
    Drop Ship really......REALLY broke this mod! It seems as if you can't kill either the chair or the hive! Plus other problems....I love Combat and play it exclusively. Are you guys still actively working on the mod or is it dead?

Why don't you read several posts back.

• jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Scatter wrote: »
    jonvall wrote: »

Why don't you read several posts back.

After I posted this I did.....so we'll have to assume they're working on something Combat related.

Hell...I'll pay to play a bugless, non laggy game of Combat....I already feel like I owe them money for all the hours of fun they've provided me.

• FuNiOnZFuNiOnZ Join Date: 2004-02-05 Member: 26112Members
    I dub this new update, the skulk sausage cannon xeno update. Anyone who's played tonight will understand =]
  • Toasty888Toasty888 Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186395Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was a glorious fountain of xeno goo... glad I wasn't trippin
    Not to mention it randomly locks up the servers as well.
    Is combat mod going to get fixed or are we waiting for the next build to fix it b/c it is just going to break again?
    edited February 2014
    The mod will only be fixed if someone like @SamusDroid does a bug fixing run again. The dev team that are back are not working on this version of the mod, so they will not be creating any fixes for it.
    Apart from my one day of frustration the other month, I haven't played combat for about 18months, so I can't help unfortunately, although @ZEROibis runs a server, so maybe logs can be supplied..
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

Jibrail wrote: »
    can't say much at this point, details to come so keep an eye out!
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Is combat mod going to get fixed or are we waiting for the next build to fix it b/c it is just going to break again?

I think its safe to say that it will be getting fixed/remade/improved. Unless I misunderstood which team is back and what they plan on doing ;)