Naming Gathers - What should this system be called?

Comments

• KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Why don't you explain the system first?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IF it was easy I'd make it "Organised Play" but from what I hear there's issues with this. Doesn't fit on menu, code already done etc.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    Koruyo wrote: »

Cuz it's supar secr4t!!!111
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    The system and button should be named in honour of the NS2WC's winner.
    So:
    Snailgame
    Saunagame
    Godargame
    or
    Titusgame

It doesnt matter that it isnt recognised immediatly. The huge learningcurve in NS2 wont get much steeper with or without a familiar button name.

Edit: or call it 'Hive' since that the source of the system anyway, right?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    IF it was easy I'd make it "Organised Play" but from what I hear there's issues with this. Doesn't fit on menu, code already done etc.
    ' Organise' would be shorter, kinda similar to 'Gather'.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    You can give it any obscure name you want, as long as it has a decent tooltip. More in-depth post later, when I'm home.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2016
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    I still maintain that "gather" or "swarm" or "hive" just means nothing to anyone who hasn't already played a gather or someone who just recently bought NS2. "Organized Games" or "Organized Play" for the win.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited February 2014
    In all honesty, it seems a little early to ask the community to name a system that is still under heavy nda. Would be a lot easier if people had a better idea of how it actually works rather than basing it on assumptions.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2014
    I still maintain that "gather" or "swarm" or "hive" just means nothing to anyone who hasn't already played a gather or someone who just recently bought NS2. "Organized Games" or "Organized Play" for the win.
    no need for pointless verbosity. if people who recently bought NS2 enjoy it enough, chances are they will soon figure out what that button sitting below 'Play' in the main menu does.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    So here's my long(er) answer:

If it's a system for players to meet other players of the same skill level and play, I'd call it "Organized Play" (or similar). That term wouldn't scare one that much like "Competetive gatherpug stay out n00bz".

If it's designed especially for high-skilled players, though, I see no reason to not use the term gather.

Anyway, probably the "Play" button should then be changed into something more fitting, like "Server browser".
    Also, give it decent toolips.

About Hugh's ideas:

Team Play - unclear/nondescriptive (shouldn't you always play in your team?)
    Gather - see above
    Organised Play - see above
    PUG - alternative to gather, needs a tooltip; fine
    Matchmaking - if it's not matchmaking, don't call it so
    Group Play - don't know why but don't like it; similar to team play
    Lobby - "what? a lobby? for what is it a lobby for?" *confusion*
    Queue - completely and utterly nondescriptive ("what am i standing in queue for?")

And the following buttons I'd never, ever, press in any game whatsoever:
    Hangouts
    Party Mode
    Quick Match

Sounds like a quick join option, and seriously, who uses a quickjoin option?

Organized play is fine.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited February 2014
    radionaut wrote: »
    no need for pointless verbosity. if people who recently bought NS2 enjoy it enough, chances are they will soon figure out what that button sitting below 'Play' in the main menu does.

Riiiiight. Because 2 words instead of 1 word is "pointless verbosity." This sort of warped input is what caused NS2 to be such a flop in terms of player retention in the first place: a chronic community of addicts giving bad feedback to dedicated developers.

Hugh himself suggested Organized Play, and if there's now a 1-word limit on the button, then let's stick to this: "Organize". Plus "Play" is going to be changed to "Browse Servers" or something anyway.
  • LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Is it skill based? If so I bet @Golden would have a great answer.
    'Matchmaking' is not an appropriate term, as this hypothetical system does not yet support finding matches based on skill or other variables.

First off matchmaking = making a match not necessarily RANKED. The word is self explanatory.

Hugh why is this so vague? Hey guys/gals we are working on a system for matchmaking that isn't matchmaking. So what is it that you are exactly implementing? Is UWE just simply asking for a rename of the play button that takes you to the server browser?

Is this system automatically finding you a match with people? If so only on UWE servers, what are the player counts, will it have separate selections between ranked and normal play? Will I get to preselect aliens/marine or comm for either?

Or is this just simple a room I join with a list of people waiting to play a match and dependent on those individuals to put the group together like old school LFG ( looking for group) for MMO's (massive multiplayer online games).

The name of the tab you select should be self-explanatory and simple. Such as queue or once more information is put out on what this system is I could provide a better name.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Easy, call it Gather, but explain what it is when the player hovers over it.

Browse Servers? popup: "choose your own game from a list of servers"
    Gather: "organized play with friends"
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gather: "organized play with friends"
    I wonder about the "with friends" part.
  • IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Gather is too vague of a term, and doesn't feel good as a button on the menu because it's not informative as to what it does, instead sounding like some kind of advanced option that newbies won't touch.

I'd go with either an informative name like: "Organised Play", "Team Play", "Group Play", "Team Finder", "Quick Game", "Find a game"

or an awesome name that people won't help but click: "War Room", "Join The War", "War Lobby", "War War War is Peace" etc.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    A new person or even regular pubber would not recognize gather as much as Organized Play. Organized Play would be my choice as it is in line with the advancement from Play.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just because 'gather' isn't a commonly used term in other games, doesn't mean we shouldn't use the term that we've been using for 10+ years now :D

Also many, many subcultures have 'gatherings' or use a similar term to refer to organised get-togethers.

Having the word 'GATHER' up on the main menu would possibly provide a bit of unique intrigue and flavour for people to further identify the NS brand in game
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited February 2014
    gather EU, pug NA, pcw EU, scrim NA/UK, etc etc so enforcing any of these on everyone is just flat out wrong. thus..

Organized Play

l2poll
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    I'd vote for Lobby - because its exactly that*.

Sounds more innocent than Organized play and is used in many games. (newest example i can think of, loadout)

The main menu Play button puts you in the Lobby System screen thing, for the server browser etc. you switch tab in the top navigation.

*i assume :P
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok i have to place a bit critism here:

Asking ppl to name something they have no real idea about what it is exactly is kinda strange.

^ this. For this reason, I can't say what term would be "best".

Regarding "Gather" - If I had no idea what it meant, I would assume that this is a way to team up with friends, and then join a game together. As opposed to looking for a server with just the right number of free slots, and trying to all get in. Still, this sounds like the best suggestion so far.

Thumbs down for "Organized Play", however - this name could give the impression that matches joined via the server browser aren't meant to be organized (ie, having teamplay). There's plenty of unorganized action on pubs already, no need to reinforce that idea.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Since the first option is "Play" I would say "Organized Play" or some form of that would seem pretty logical.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Koruyo wrote: »

Because the system is not complete, is not rigidly defined, may not work, and may not be released.

I appreciate everyone's arguments, there have been some very helpful answers! I'm sorry I can't provide more concrete details of the system at this time. I would like to distribute a beta version of the system for testing as soon as possible, to see if it is viable. Stay tuned for details!
    Hugh wrote: »
    Stay tuned for details!

You bet we will. The whole community will.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    'Form a Team'

It'd be better to understand what it does by quickly glancing at the option instead of hovering the mouse over. Saves mental energy and would flow seamlessly with the simplicity of 'Browse Servers.'

Once a team has been made, that team would be in a 'Ready' state in a separate lobby, allowing an opposing team to invite them to play.

A coin-toss GUI could allow the winner to pick a server from a dedicated list of potential Gather servers.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Call it 'Low Skill Mode' that way all the noobs will avoid it, but all the KDR-lickers will flock to it :) Although basically they are the same thing :P
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Hugh wrote: »
    Becausw the system is not complete, is not rigidly defined, may not work, and may not be released.

.... Why go asking for a name for the system now then.
    If this is not released then you can consider your self the biggest community wind up since wasabi and his big announcement.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    No, the biggest NS community wind-up is the Nexus BUS. No wind up will ever beat that....