Immense FPS drop

SedoxSedox Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187139Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Silver
edited February 2014 in Technical Support
Hey guys,

since I installed Call of Duty: Ghosts two days ago, I experience real trouble playing NS2. My fps fluctuates between 10 and 25 (which normally is between 50 and 70), especially when hostiles are nearby. I'm using excactly the same settings as before and i also reinstalled Natural Selection 2 three times. I read about this issue on different forums, however there hasn't been any solution which could help me. Everytime I start NS2 I receive the message, that "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic", which never happened to me before. My friend also experienced some heavy fps drops before, however when he resetted his Computer the issue was solved. As you can imagine I would prefer using a different method from resetting the whole Computer, but if there's no other way I'll do that just to play NS2 properly again ;-)

Thanks for your help,

Sedox

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That's what happens when you install COD!!! :P

Jokes aside, it sounds like your desktop color depth settings have been changed. I am not too sure how you would change that in win 7, I went from XP-win8, but I would look at that as your first point of call..
  • SedoxSedox Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187139Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    That's what happens when you install COD!!! :P

Jokes aside, it sounds like your desktop color depth settings have been changed. I am not too sure how you would change that in win 7, I went from XP-win8, but I would look at that as your first point of call..

I bought it for 20 bucks, I just couldn't resist:D

As far as I looked it up everything seems to be fine with the desktop color depth (True color 32-bit). I rather tend to blame this on the MC C++ 2012 Redistributable Package which has been installed with Call of Duty. I also tried to reinstall it once, but that didn't work out. Any other suggestions?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    CoD 3D card profile settings perhaps, ruining your fun?
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I am not too sure how you would change that in win 7, I went from XP-win8, but I would look at that as your first point of call..
    You're going on the naughty list :P
  • Ball654Ball654 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172265Members
    This message can happen if your running in compatibility mode, or if your pc detects very low FPS it may ask you if you want to change your colour scheme (Windows 7), either way I doubt this is what is causing your low fps problem as these are sometimes recommended to increase your FPS.
  • SedoxSedox Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187139Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Silver
    Ball654 wrote: »
    This message can happen if your running in compatibility mode, or if your pc detects very low FPS it may ask you if you want to change your colour scheme (Windows 7), either way I doubt this is what is causing your low fps problem as these are sometimes recommended to increase your FPS.

I can lookup the 3D settings in the AMD catalyst center, however i'm not sure which settings are best for NS2.

• Ball654Ball654 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172265Members
    Try using DX9 and turn your in game settings to to the lowest.
    I already did that, OpenGL doesn't fix it neither.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Reinstall NS2?

If not, it seems like yet another amd driver issue. Check your driver settings.
    I already reinstalled it three times:/
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    MC C++ 2012 Redistributable Package <- I agree.
    MC C++ 2012 Redistributable Package <- I agree.

Do you know how this can be fixed?
  • firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    edited February 2014
    I had problems with similar, think it was crashing NS2 or low fps
    I fixed eventually by deleting the C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

this was after multiple installs of NS2 and MS C++ Red' Packages
    firepower wrote: »
    I had problems with similar, think it was crashing NS2 or low fps
    I fixed eventually by deleting the C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

this was after multiple installs of NS2 and MS C++ Red' Packages

Have you deleted this folder after uninstalling NS2 or before uninstalling it or haven't you uninstalled it at all? And have you changed something on your redistributable packages (before/after installing NS2)?
    Can someone else help me please? I really want to play NS2:(
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sedox wrote: »
    Hey guys,

since I installed Call of Duty: Ghosts two days ago, I experience real trouble playing NS2. My fps fluctuates between 10 and 25 (which normally is between 50 and 70), especially when hostiles are nearby. I'm using excactly the same settings as before and i also reinstalled Natural Selection 2 three times. I read about this issue on different forums, however there hasn't been any solution which could help me. Everytime I start NS2 I receive the message, that "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic", which never happened to me before. My friend also experienced some heavy fps drops before, however when he resetted his Computer the issue was solved. As you can imagine I would prefer using a different method from resetting the whole Computer, but if there's no other way I'll do that just to play NS2 properly again ;-)

Thanks for your help,

Sedox

Some hardware specs would be nice dude
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic"
    Well, then set it back to Aero?
    Right mouse on desktop -> adjust -> select Windows 7 design

edited February 2014
    Hamlet wrote: »
    "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic"
    Well, then set it back to Aero?
    Right mouse on desktop -> adjust -> select Windows 7 design
    If it was that easy:/
    Furthermore the fps lagg would have been fixed by playing in fullscreen then.

BoRRiS wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your help,

Sedox

Some hardware specs would be nice dude

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
    AMD Phenom X6 1090T
    8GB RAM
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Dear Sedox

Thank you for your query, I suspect your Windows 7 is changing to basic because you are running out of dram. Basically, NS2 would be trying to write to your gpu vram, only to significantly overflow into your dram, which is then causing windows 7 to go into panic mode. COD Ghosts is a well known Vram hog and it may be continuing to hog your Vram (and dram) even after you exit. This is why the computer restart fixes your friends similar issue. The low fps could very well be because of a large amount of swapping between vram and dram, or just insufficient available memory overall.

Could you please do the following for me?
    1. Check that you have the latest drivers from AMD. If not, update them
    2. Download gpu-z. You can download it here http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    3. Run gpu-z before you play COD Ghosts. After your adrenaline filled gaming session, please note the Memory usage (dedicated) in gpu-z
    4. Now join an ns2 server and note the Memory usage (dedicated) in gpu-z
    5. Also type r_stats into the console and note the ms waiting on gpu when you walk around the game and fight people

Awaiting your reply in earnest,

Elodea

Unofficial Technical Advisory
    elodea wrote: »
    Dear Sedox

Thank you for your query, I suspect your Windows 7 is changing to basic because you are running out of dram. Basically, NS2 would be trying to write to your gpu vram, only to significantly overflow into your dram, which is then causing windows 7 to go into panic mode. COD Ghosts is a well known Vram hog and it may be continuing to hog your Vram (and dram) even after you exit. This is why the computer restart fixes your friends similar issue. The low fps could very well be because of a large amount of swapping between vram and dram, or just insufficient available memory overall.

Could you please do the following for me?
    1. Check that you have the latest drivers from AMD. If not, update them
    2. Download gpu-z. You can download it here http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    3. Run gpu-z before you play COD Ghosts. After your adrenaline filled gaming session, please note the Memory usage (dedicated) in gpu-z
    4. Now join an ns2 server and note the Memory usage (dedicated) in gpu-z
    5. Also type r_stats into the console and note the ms waiting on gpu when you walk around the game and fight people

Awaiting your reply in earnest,

Elodea

Unofficial Technical Advisory

The issue doesn't appear, when I play Call of Duty Ghosts before, it happens all the time, even after a restart. My friend fixed it by resetting his whole computer (All files are gone then), however this is a bit too much for me.

1. Check
    I think all the other points are not nessecary as I'm not playing Ghosts before NS2.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Great!

I would still like to know what is causing your low fps though
    Could you please type r_stats into the console when you are playing and let me know the concurrent values for
    • fps
    • ms waiting for gpu
    • ms waiting for render thread
    edited February 2014
    Great!

I would still like to know what is causing your low fps though
    Could you please type r_stats into the console when you are playing and let me know the concurrent values for
    • fps
    • ms waiting for gpu
    • ms waiting for render thread

I typed it in while in lobby:

52-57fps
    1-3 ms waiting for gpu
    3-8 ms waiting for render thread

It always fluctuated, so I'm pasting the values it had in a few seconds

Thanks for helping my in this case
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    What do you mean by lobby? The ready room or the main menu or the new orangized play system??
    Its best to test things while in a game, not in a menu, fyi

Also please provide your techsupport.exe zip file results.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post#latest

52-57 fps does not sound like 10 fps, as your original post claims?
    What do you mean by this? Are you not running in full screen for some reason?
    The only officially supported rendering method is: Fullscreen DX9
    Be sure thats what you are using in your graphics options.

p.s. wth? since when is @elodea "unofficial tech support" ?? lol.. geeze.. i go away for 3 weeks and everything falls apart and my title is stolen :D
    edited February 2014
    yes, like ironhorse said, do r_Stats in a game when you are experiencing the low fps that you originally said you were getting! And the tech support.zip thingy magigy

@ironhorse
    I even got some 5's on my customer feedback forms! *proud*
    yes, like ironhorse said, do r_Stats in a game when you are experiencing the low fps that you originally said you were getting! And the tech support.zip thingy magigy

@ironhorse
    I even got some 5's on my customer feedback forms! *proud*
    IronHorse wrote: »
    What do you mean by lobby? The ready room or the main menu or the new orangized play system??
    Its best to test things while in a game, not in a menu, fyi

Also please provide your techsupport.exe zip file results.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post#latest

52-57 fps does not sound like 10 fps, as your original post claims?
    What do you mean by this? Are you not running in full screen for some reason?
    The only officially supported rendering method is: Fullscreen DX9
    Be sure thats what you are using in your graphics options.

p.s. wth? since when is @elodea "unofficial tech support" ?? lol.. geeze.. i go away for 3 weeks and everything falls apart and my title is stolen :D

Alright, I attached this TechSupport file now.
    The error message ""The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic"" has been fixed now. My quotation was referring to a further response by someone related to this issue.

Stats for fullscreen and while attacking the enemy hive:) :

8-30fps
    0 ms waiting for gpu
    2-9 ms waiting for render thread
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Seems like the techsupport file didn't get attached. That feature may not be working in the forums right now.. can you upload it to anywhere on the web and put a link to it here?
    Sorry for the trouble, but we really do need to see that file, as it shows your hardware, software, and any errors involved.

So, 0 ms waiting for GPU means that its not your video card.. its your CPU that is slowing you down.
    Makes me wonder if punkbuster from the COD installation is running rampant in the background or something.

Download two free programs that are very small : Speedfan and CPU-Z
    Ensure both your temps , and your clockrates, are what they are supposed to be for your CPU while you are experiencing this low performance. If we had your techsupport file, i could tell you what those numbers are.
    (MSI afterburner is another program that makes it so you don't have to alt tab to check.. you can just play the game and then after you quit, you can review the temps and the clockrates etc)
    Seems like the techsupport file didn't get attached. That feature may not be working in the forums right now.. can you upload it to anywhere on the web and put a link to it here?
    Sorry for the trouble, but we really do need to see that file, as it shows your hardware, software, and any errors involved.

So, 0 ms waiting for GPU means that its not your video card.. its your CPU that is slowing you down.
    Makes me wonder if punkbuster from the COD installation is running rampant in the background or something.

Ensure both your temps , and your clockrates, are what they are supposed to be for your CPU while you are experiencing this low performance. If we had your techsupport file, i could tell you what those numbers are.
    (MSI afterburner is another program that makes it so you don't have to alt tab to check.. you can just play the game and then after you quit, you can review the temps and the clockrates etc)

I checked it with MSI Afterburner and the CPU is completely fine. Also I don't think, that Punkbuster actually needs that much, that NS2 is experiencing low fps now ,nevertheless I already have Punkbuster for games like Battlefield.

Here is the uploaded file:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqktopwe0841kjb/tech_support.zip
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    * Run msinfo32.exe.
    * Be sure to select the topleft menu and not a subcategory.
    * Then under file, export the information to a txt file. It will now put all information in msinfo in a text file. This includes hardware, loaded modules and drivers, everything. (If you want to know what it shows, just click through the menu's) Yes this gives far more system info then a mere directx dump.
    * Show us.

Personally im mostly interested in services, modules, startup programs, drivers and any weird errors.
    edited February 2014
    @dc_darkling I'm on my mobile right now, can you link the OP to instructions on how to grab a plog or a profile screenshot?
    His system shouldn't be getting 10 fps..
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow

What are the operating temps/and operating frequency of your CPU? It could be throttling, or some bios mistake could have it ridiculously underclocked.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited February 2014
    How to profile.

* go ingame. be prepared not to use spacebar for jump. Rebind, play marines if possible. :D
    * type 'profile' in console.
    * after weird stuff or hitches happen press 'spacebar' to pause profiling. (pressing spacebar again starts it up again)
    * on the bottom are columns with one highlighted. These are frames. Go to the frame which is biggest (spiking). use arrow keys to select this frame.
    * Then use the mouse to click open the largest purple bars

Screenshot this (f12 key) and post all results for @ironhorse.
    It should look something similar to this if done right.