Pro players - Competitive play Vs Pub Play

12346»

Comments

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    tenderloin wrote: »
    Next thing we know we're asked to split teams due to -stacking-, when the games haven't even started. We refuse and end up getting banned.

I get that you guys want to train with your friends to build on your teamwork skills - but the point you are missing (or just ignoring intentionally) is that by doing this you make the games very uneven and not fun for the losing team, so the server empties out. Server admins see it happen all the time, and guess what? They don't like it! They don't pay their hard earned money to have a private NS2 server just to see it emptied out every time a few competitive players want to join and "play together" aka stack & stomp.
    So the admin recognized you guys and saw what was coming, asked you to split up, you REFUSED, and he banned you? Well no shit, what did you expect? Just because you have a high skill in this game does not mean you can disrespect an admin like that and refuse his request. You are in HIS house, you play by HIS rules, or you can get gtfo. Want to have a server where you can stack up with all your buddies and destroy mediocre players? Then pitch in and buy a server of your own. Otherwise next time an admin asks you and your friends to split up to make the teams even maybe you should try not being a stubborn baby about it.

I play in KKG servers almost exclusively now and its usually a very good time. We get some competitive players who wipe the floor with us, and thats fine. But its been months now since I have seen one who was unwilling to make efforts to keep the teams even. I guess KKG finally weeded out all the comp players with a "holier-than-thou" celebrity attitude. It sucks that we have to lose those guys to play with but if they can't understand this concept of trying to keep the server full and keep the games fun & even then oh well, nothing you can do about it.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I find it annoying how people think 1 players can win the game. This game is focused on team-play.

Also, it's false to assume skilled players are competitive players, as I love to rampage on pub server but have never played competitive before.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    coolitic wrote: »
    Also, it's false to assume skilled players are competitive players, as I love to rampage on pub server but have never played competitive before.

It's called being a pub hero.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I prefer 'Pub Whore.'
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    I for one beleive dumping pub balance in favor of comp play balance is fine. I think hive should be reworked for helping you better your lifeforms and shit by giving you stats on your play, accuracy, lifeform retention et cetera instead of saying "farming kdr and wins = more skill." Me and everybody I know started out farming wins for hive but then stopped caring about it after a while because it is useless.

So basically, I don't even care if somebody is speccing for the other team or hacking because pub games will always be uncompetetive, and I think it's better this way.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Gibs Gorge Hut wants to create & add a mod that players can turn the damage they deal down. So for example, if Currently felt he was pub stomping, he could turn his damage to .8, so he'd deal only 80% damage to other players. I don't think this is something that admins should be able to do to players themselves, but it's neat for players to be able to nerf themselves if they'd like.

Gibs Gorge Hut is the best!
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Now we just need a modder that is willing to code it. I asked a dev and they said it wouldn't take but 10 minutes to code in. A simple console command that allows a player to enter their damage multiplier without cheats needing to be on. The value would only accept values been 0 and 1.

It would be awesome to be able to dial down your damage when appropriate. Wouldn't stop the true pub stompers who do it for kicks but then not every one who goes 27-1 has malicious motives. It would give the experienced player more time in combat situations while requiring them to stay on point...seems like fun :D
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well a cheat exists to make it global, surely this can be manipulated for a specific player. Or not, not sure how it handles it.

Let's be honest though, less than 5 people would do this.
  • dusterduster michigan, US Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193329Members
    edited January 2014
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Well a cheat exists to make it global, surely this can be manipulated for a specific player. Or not, not sure how it handles it.

It's just for handicap, shouldn't be hard to program at all. Do it like quakelive so that your current handicap shows up in the scoreboard, by your name, and in the killfeed, and disregard people using handicaps for hive stats (although those will be thrown away soon anyway.)

E.G. (80%)Duster! would signify that you have 20% less hitpoints or 20% less damage.