Natural Selection 2 "Slang"

2»

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited January 2014
    sotanaht wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »
    never heard phase referred to as pg. phase is easy enough to say. new players should also familiarize themselves with the name of every resource room. connecting rooms are optional, but also good to know. in tighter games I'll call out warnings like "eastwing" and I expect people to know what im talking about and assume our extractor there is under attack. or 3 skulks in gen. which woul refer to generator.the only real slang used for rooms are double and central.

It's pg in text only. You know there are some people out there without mics or who don't want to use them.
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    "Rambo" is a term for going off on your own as marine without any backup. Usually it comes with negative connotations, but not necessarily (it is possible to "Rambo" and succeed, although usually in a balanced game it doesn't work out well).

I like to make the distinction between "Rambo" and "Commando". "Rambo" kills stuff (i.e. him being off on his own is a good thing cause he's a one man army). "Commando" doesn't (negative implications came from an old forum/in-game troll by the same name in nz).

In ns1 this was more of a problem, because whoever ramboed and died usually had a shotgun/hmg/HA/jp, which came from the commander, not personal res (i.e. it could have gone to better use).

Going off on solo suicide missions is actually pretty useful, at least in pubs (no experience with pugs/comp so I can't say). You just have to be careful when you do it and what you take with you, never bring something you aren't prepared to lose unless you have a means of escape. Anyway it's great for killing less defended RTs or just keeping pressure on distant parts of the map. Even if you don't kill the RT the 2 skulks and gorge that respond are distracted from the front line for a good minute, which is a great trade for 1 marine with an LMG.

I've never heard the term commando used. Honestly if I heard the two in the same game I would assume the opposite meaning. Rambo sounds like some asshole taking things into his own hands and Commando sounds like someone on special assignment (IE he has orders/premission to do what he's doing).

rambo isn't NS specific, and it was almost always negative. wolf:ET rambo medics, people who saved up all their medpacks for themselves to keep killing... on the other hand, it was oftentimes the best policy even for non-rambos. my life before yours, and if you're coming to me with a sliver of health, expect to be shot then stuck. even if i only have a yellow syringe. yellow syringe is like 2 medpacks, you kidding me?

god i miss that game... i should install it again and see if there's a community still.

real men play with FF. but the community had transitioned to ff off by the time i left... to its detriment. Check your fire. and spy checking used to cost you something... mind games.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Here are a collection of glossary terms that are often used in NS2 that you should familiarize yourself with. Using them will even make you sound more experienced when you are commanding.

Nano: Nano Shield

Might want to be careful when defining this one ISE. Don't forget about Veil. :P
    joshhh wrote: »
    Here are a collection of glossary terms that are often used in NS2 that you should familiarize yourself with. Using them will even make you sound more experienced when you are commanding.

Might want to be careful when defining this one ISE. Don't forget about Veil. :P

works for both, context son, context.

:) i'm sure someone could interpret "get to nano" as... something else, if they really wanted it badly enough...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I know. Just wanted to have some clarification in the definition if someone is going to compile all these terms for the new pubbies. :D
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    edited January 2014
    • "Behind" as in "fade coming from behind" doesn't usually mean relative to your current facing, it means relative to the map; or in a strategic sense. Anything on the path between you and your base is "behind".

More generally, if you hear someone call out "fade/lerk coming to...xyz room" it usually means an alien is fleeing an encounter in which it took a lot of damage. Note that you basically only hear this phrase on the marine team. Ask yourself why that is.

When I'm commanding, I usually call out the whole phrase "fade coming to elevator from behind". If I'm on the field and moving with a pack of marines, I might just call out "behind" and hope that the others near me realise who's calling and where I am - time is precious and I need to devote my attention to my (terrible) aim.
    • "Phase through" means you stop what you're doing and use the phase gate. Often it means some part of the phase gate network is under attack. Since losing a phase gate translates to losing map control, it's very important to respond to that order quickly. Even if you're nearly finished building an arms lab or something, you drop everything and go through. The only reason not to go through is if you're low on health/armour or you're currently reloading.
    • "Dropped" usually means a new building has been placed. eg: "Hive dropped in atrium".

@sotanaht
    rambo'ing is only ever the answer if the alien team is worser. It's a bad idea to debate the merits of something like that in a thread like this (ie. for newbies). The last thing NS2 needs is more newbies ignoring the commander / the person trying to call the shots, wandering off on their own missions.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    mostly when playing with me you'll probably here this crap sometimes:
    "Don't worry we got this" -That's it man, game over man, game over! What the f are we gonna do now
    "Follow me, treasure hunting time!" -Onos on low health, time to knife
    "I like pancakes" -Lerk moving up and down very vast
    "Base #1-4 etc...) -There is an/# enemy in base, shoot/bite it
    "Don't go there" -Onos on my six!

And random stuff like that...
    Khyron wrote: »
    • "Behind" as in "fade coming from behind" doesn't usually mean relative to your current facing, it means relative to the map; or in a strategic sense. Anything on the path between you and your base is "behind".

More generally, if you hear someone call out "fade/lerk coming to...xyz room" it usually means an alien is fleeing an encounter in which it took a lot of damage. Note that you basically only hear this phrase on the marine team. Ask yourself why that is.

When I'm commanding, I usually call out the whole phrase "fade coming to elevator from behind". If I'm on the field and moving with a pack of marines, I might just call out "behind" and hope that the others near me realise who's calling and where I am - time is precious and I need to devote my attention to my (terrible) aim.
    • "Phase through" means you stop what you're doing and use the phase gate. Often it means some part of the phase gate network is under attack. Since losing a phase gate translates to losing map control, it's very important to respond to that order quickly. Even if you're nearly finished building an arms lab or something, you drop everything and go through. The only reason not to go through is if you're low on health/armour or you're currently reloading.
    • "Dropped" usually means a new building has been placed. eg: "Hive dropped in atrium".

@sotanaht
    rambo'ing is only ever the answer if the alien team is worser. It's a bad idea to debate the merits of something like that in a thread like this (ie. for newbies). The last thing NS2 needs is more newbies ignoring the commander / the person trying to call the shots, wandering off on their own missions.

worser is archaic.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    "Dropped" usually means a new building has been placed. eg: "Hive dropped in atrium".
    And it's good because it's unambiguous. Unfortunately, some commanders use "down" instead, which can be confusing.

"Two more Spurs going down" -> "Wait, WHAT?! Our base is under attack?!?? ........ Oh, you mean you just dropped them."

Same goes for "Harvester/Hive/... is down in XY". Please don't do this. It confuses new players, and there are plenty of alternatives.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Mouse wrote: »
    "Naturals" : The two resources nodes closest to your starting tech point.

I tend to call them "Primaries" or "Primes", since that's what the PowerNodes closest to your Core are called in UT's Onslaught and Warfare gametypes.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2014
    CrushaK wrote: »

I tend to call them "Primaries" or "Primes", since that's what the PowerNodes closest to your Core are called in UT's Onslaught and Warfare gametypes.

Natural (expansion) probably comes from Starcraft and similar RTS where it's the term for the closest secondary base location. It's much more similar in function than the nodes in UT and a lot of NS elements are often compared directly to starcraft anyway.

Natural (expansion) probably comes from Starcraft and similar RTS where it's the term for the closest secondary base location. It's much more similar in function than the nodes in UT and a lot of NS elements are often compared directly to starcraft anyway.

it's usually better just to refer the room name though, since there are two of them anyway.

it's usually better just to refer the room name though, since there are two of them anyway.

True, I only call them naturals when I'm talking about general non-map-specific strategies regarding them.
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Flash + Alien lifeform (ie. "Flash Fade", "Flash Onos")
    Lifeform dying within short range after evolving.
  • GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MrFangs wrote: »
    "Dropped" usually means a new building has been placed. eg: "Hive dropped in atrium".
    And it's good because it's unambiguous. Unfortunately, some commanders use "down" instead, which can be confusing.

"Two more Spurs going down" -> "Wait, WHAT?! Our base is under attack?!?? ........ Oh, you mean you just dropped them."

Same goes for "Harvester/Hive/... is down in XY". Please don't do this. It confuses new players, and there are plenty of alternatives.

It's a mentality thing. You're viewing the map from above and placing structures down from on high. It's confusing to those of us actually on the ground, I agree, but I know I've said 'Hive going down in ...' before without thinking about it. Probably originated from RTS terms.

More terms:

Paper Fade/Onos - A really early higher lifeform without much biomass or carapace. I've heard this more often in Combat but it's popped up in normal play from time to time

Pancake/Pancaking - The act of a Lerk under attack immediately diving down to the ground in order to evade, or swerving dramatically up and down to achieve the same. Works pretty well but looks rather funny.

Ninja/Sneaky [Structure] - Placing a phase gate or gorge tunnel in an unexpected place near the enemy base
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    green = rookie; as in "how many greens in your team" (rookie sounds a little denigrating)
    +1 for bacon (I used to say this in NS1) - I don't use mic, so short hand typing is the way to go.
    forward base = typically a crag + shade and may be a shift near a contested location to help aliens regenerate. For marines, it would be an armory + a phase gate (pg) and possibly sentries.
    boost = where one marine crouch and let another marine jump on their head, as a way to access high vents; "can you boost me to that vent"
    siege = arcs being constructed to take down a hive location or a well held alien location
    this one from ITSSUPEREFFECTIVE: pain train = exo + arcs + jp incoming.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2014
    joshhh wrote: »

works for both, context son, context.

:) i'm sure someone could interpret "get to nano" as... something else, if they really wanted it badly enough...

"Nano" as a verb ("Nano me!") is obviously going to be referring to nano shield; as a noun I suppose it can be either but the context, like amoral notes, should make it fairly obvious. You can't "get to" a shield, and you can't "give someone" a place, if you know what I mean.

That said: nanotechnology in general plays a big part of the backstory for NS2 and the TSA/TSF in particular. A long running joke in both the development of NS2 and throughout the community is if someone asks why something does or doesn't work in a particular way to simply reply: "nanites."
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's a mentality thing. You're viewing the map from above and placing structures down from on high. It's confusing to those of us actually on the ground, I agree, but I know I've said 'Hive going down in ...' before without thinking about it.
    Fully agree with the perspective thing. That's why I wanted to point it out, because it's so easy to forget.

forward base = typically a crag + shade and may be a shift near a contested location to help aliens regenerate. For marines, it would be an armory + a phase gate (pg) and possibly sentries.
    Also frequently called a "healing base" for aliens.

Paper Fade/Onos - A really early higher lifeform without much biomass or carapace. I've heard this more often in Combat but it's popped up in normal play from time to time
    Sometimes also used for Exos, as they're fragile in general, or specifically when Marines have no armor upgrade (which also affects Exos).

Was also used for Onos being too fragile after the big nerf (build 250, IIRC). "You can't do anything with those paper Onos anymore". That was before they got bone shield to compensate, though.

Pancake/Pancaking - The act of a Lerk under attack immediately diving down to the ground in order to evade, or swerving dramatically up and down to achieve the same.
    Hmm, I always thought that meant a Lerk crashing down after dying?

Ninja/Sneaky [Structure] - Placing a phase gate or gorge tunnel in an unexpected place near the enemy base
    For new players: A ninja phase gate is usually done by one or two marines going to a place without being seen, not attacking anything (not even cysts!), building power and then the phase gate. If they do it right, the Alien commander will not see them until Marines come through the gate and start attacking.

For a sneaky Gorge Tunnel, the Gorge builds it somewhere without being heard and seen. The Alien commander will frequently build a Shade on the tunnel exit's infestation once it's up.
    edited January 2014
    It's a mentality thing. You're viewing the map from above and placing structures down from on high. It's confusing to those of us actually on the ground, I agree, but I know I've said 'Hive going down in ...' before without thinking about it.
    Fully agree with the perspective thing. That's why I wanted to point it out, because it's so easy to forget.

Also frequently called a "healing base" for aliens.

Sometimes also used for Exos, as they're fragile in general, or specifically when Marines have no armor upgrade (which also affects Exos).

Was also used for Onos being too fragile after the big nerf (build 250, IIRC). "You can't do anything with those paper Onos anymore". That was before they got bone shield to compensate, though.

Pancake/Pancaking - The act of a Lerk under attack immediately diving down to the ground in order to evade, or swerving dramatically up and down to achieve the same.
    Hmm, I always thought that meant a Lerk crashing down after dying?

For new players: A ninja phase gate is usually done by one or two marines going to a place without being seen, not attacking anything (not even cysts!), building power and then the phase gate. If they do it right, the Alien commander will not see them until Marines come through the gate and start attacking.

For a sneaky Gorge Tunnel, the Gorge builds it somewhere without being heard and seen. The Alien commander will frequently build a Shade on the tunnel exit's infestation once it's up.

i remember hearing paper fade the first time, it was for silence only fades, those were fun. OP on attack but super squishy.

squishy-> easy to kill/low health. i.e.) lerks are super squishy for their cost.

upgrades -> spurs, shells and veils. as in, 'scan X for upgrades', 'i'll hit their upgrades', 'where's our upgrades khamm?'

*don't think theirs a special term for lifeform abilities, people just ask for lifeform upgrades or
    specific upgrades like "where's my leap?", "is lerk started yet?", "how soon to bile khamm?", and the
    always fun, "wtf are you researching fade for? get leap first you noob"*
    Abilities would be the best term for them, but it's not widely understood. I can't tell you how many times I've gone Onos at 60 res and said that I'm waiting for upgrades before I attack anything, only to confuse the poor com into thinking I meant Onos upgrades/abilities when I actually meant I needed 16 more res for regen/celerity.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    To me it's "Traits" for Spur, Veil, Shell upgrades and "Evolutions" for lifeform upgrades. But nobody really sticks that closely to terminology and it might have been changed anyway with the 250 patch.
    To me it's "Traits" for Spur, Veil, Shell upgrades and "Evolutions" for lifeform upgrades. But nobody really sticks that closely to terminology and it might have been changed anyway with the 250 patch.

well, I think when they shifted over to the shells spurs and veils scheme upgrades became more widespread. "scan x for ups comm" and "target their upgrades" yada yada.

come to think of it, let's also start describing ns2 official terms that new players might not know but should.

crag, shift and shade first refer to the first hive evolution. this impacts the abilities the comm has with the structures of the same name, as well as the drifter abilities the comm can use.

scan refersto the comm ability triggered at the observatory, same basic idea as a scan in sc2.

arcs are those fat little ground crawling tanks that can shoot structures through walls.

Macs are the yellow floaty repairers.

dualies refer almost exclusively to dual minigun exos... because dual railguns are a joke and don't deserve special treatment, they are simply exos if you're in a rush.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    driest wrote: »
    About the Sabot:

A Sabot is a casing on the projectile of a firearm, facilitating a better utilization of the propellant [1]. Assuming the game of NS2 is the Firearm and the player the bullet, the organized play system facilitates the better utilization of the game by the player, thus being a Sabot ;).

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "Follow me, treasure hunting time!" -Onos on low health, time to knife ; *if only knife, sigh, if only.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    Sammey wrote: »
    Lorks On The Clorf = Lerk on the cliff
    shirtgun = shotgun

"it hovars without flapping" (that movie poster in-game) refers to ns1, where lerks glided while using the "standing on ground" animation

"pancaking" also comes from ns1, where at one point, lerks had no energy requirement for flying and a high max vertical speed. spam space as fast as you can to rocket to the ceiling, then stop, falling back to the ground fast, then repeat. resulted in lerks bouncing from floor to ceiling, making them really hard to hit

"omg its teh BUS wat is it?" = Flayra's biggest troll ever
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    There is a very specific term which refers to a team that just won a game: "stacked"
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    Everyone forgets Bob.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    'BADmin' - I think its self-explanatory, but there is a specific reference which has even greater meaning.
    gayliens - lol
    And how can you forget the jesus lerk.
    secret room. a lot of ready rooms have Easter egg spaces. have fun finding them.