Forum post flag system needs some tinkering

RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
I'm getting royally fed up with people flagging my posts as abuse and spam when they are clearly not. I have messaged the offending people and got nowhere - they simply ignore my reasonable requests to unflag the posts. I won't name them here, but anyone could search through my profile and activity to see who they are.

Even disagrees feel wrong - it's just a cheap and easy way for people to get at you without having to actually post with reasoning for why they may legitimately disagree with something you've said. On the whole, I try to explain why I flag posts as disagree, and I (foolishly) expect others to show the same courtesy when discussing.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best solution is. If you only remove the icons, then it promotes people to click disagree/spam/abuse more often due to anonymity.

Perhaps if the abuse/spam functions simply aren't recorded publically: remove the icons *and* the counts from user profile pages, then it becomes simply a silent message to forum admins that a post is potentially objectionable.

That's about the best suggestion I have, but it isn't perfect.

An alternative is to completely remove the agree/disagree/awesome component of the flag system completely and only have 1 silent 'flag to moderator' function.

I know that at least @Ironhorse is discontent with the current system. I'd be interested to hear all your views on it. I'm sure someone can come up with a better solution than mine posted here.

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have made a few feature/change requests about the flag system that cover a lot of what you have posted here already. I am not sure if they will be implemented but it's being looked into.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Even disagrees feel wrong - it's just a cheap and easy way for people to get at you without having to actually post with reasoning for why they may legitimately disagree with something you've said.
    Eh...you can also apply that logic to agrees. I see it as more of a bunch of mini surveys on how much your idea was approved by the community.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold