Tick rate is tanking on UWE official servers EU.

_Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Whats up with the official servers? Since 2 days or so they start to go occasionally down to 5 ticks in the mid game. This makes playing on them a horrible experience. Is this problem known?

I have to admit I haven't tested many servers. Maybe only a few are broken.

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Lots of servers seem to be getting tickrate downspikes lately, since the last build or two. I'm not sure if these are related but I've noticed it on more than a couple of the servers I've played on lately.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited January 2014
    UWE servers have always had tickrate issues. I assume its in part because of the strain on the machine (I'm pretty sure theres several servers per box). In part because, as far as I know, theres no one dedicated to administrating and maintaining the servers like you tend to have on a private run server.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I thought this was a known issue that Hugh was on to? It is horrible on the official servers and has been for 2 patches I think, and that's not saying anything of the rookies :)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    First thing people almost always blame when tick rate issues: the most recent builds. Not the fact that horrible multiplay have been killing machines by putting RUST on them, therefore making everything else suck and be very laggy.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I thought this was a known issue that Hugh was on to? It is horrible on the official servers and has been for 2 patches I think, and that's not saying anything of the rookies :)

AFAIK Hugh is aware of the issue and was taking it up with multiplay who host the official servers. Sadly I dont know much about what has come of it, maybe @GISP knows a bit more about what is happening with them?

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    First thing people almost always blame when tick rate issues: the most recent builds. Not the fact that horrible multiplay have been killing machines by putting RUST on them, therefore making everything else suck and be very laggy.

If it's something that Multiplay have done that coincided with a patch, that is rather unfortunate: you can't blame people for coming to that conclusion, though! If nothing else, it serves as a timing marker for *when* the problem started, whosoever's fault it really is.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Multiplay servers have always suffered from unstable tick rate... even before the last few patches.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have played very often on the official servers. Even after the release of descent when the servers had no map rotation. It was absolutely playable. But the tick rate problems I got the last 2 days are making it unplayable.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I have played very often on the official servers. Even after the release of descent when the servers had no map rotation. It was absolutely playable. But the tick rate problems I got the last 2 days are making it unplayable.

No server is totally safe against tickrate drops in late game but most servers up for more than a year and with experimiced admins behind them don't really suffer from these lags. So if you avoid new and high playercount servers you shouldn't have any problems.

Only current problem most server admins have to face are random server crashes because of corrupted stacks (out of memory issue).
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know. This is not the issue. I talk about an unplayable state with occasional rubberbanding starting at midgame. It isn't that bad on the other servers, like yours.

And I think the official servers should represent the game at least on the same level as the custom ones.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Zinkey wrote: »
    AFAIK Hugh is aware of the issue and was taking it up with multiplay who host the official servers. Sadly I dont know much about what has come of it, maybe @GISP knows a bit more about what is happening with them?

Nope, i just admin em. Nothing back end.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm surprised that after over a year UWE still has any of them up. I figured they would be just for the release + maybe 6 months.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ive talked with @Ironhorse about this quite often.
    Its not days, its been weeks. Ironhorse has passed along screenshots of servername & bad tickrate and whole netstats shown.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The_Ranger wrote: »
    I'm surprised that after over a year UWE still has any of them up. I figured they would be just for the release + maybe 6 months.

I heard they are provided by multiplay for free; I'm all for shutting them down, as we have enough community servers anyway (EU/US at least, which is the majority anyway). Especially if that is not true and they pay for them, in that case rather spend the money else where :P
    Ahh if they're provided for free, it would also make sense that they're probably not bleeding edge hardware, either! The server requirements are still very high for NS2 after all...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    Multiplay servers. Nuff said.
    NO. My server hasn't had any problems.
    Ahh if they're provided for free, it would also make sense that they're probably not bleeding edge hardware, either! The server requirements are still very high for NS2 after all...
    I've never heard of multiplay providing several free servers before. and when they do they make sure to use their best so they can SHOW OFF. "Heres what our servers do, want one?". but that's usually one at a time.
    if that's true.. weeuuurd.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    ???? There's a (big) rust server on the box mine runs on. no problems. where are you people getting these baseless acusations from?

Everyone has problems, because occasionally a multiplay server start's crapping itself does not = Hurr durr multiplay servers suck. it means the box in question has seen better days and needs to retire.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    I've never heard of multiplay providing several free servers before. and when they do they make sure to use their best so they can SHOW OFF. "Heres what our servers do, want one?". but that's usually one at a time.
    This is a marketing move that multiplay should avoid. Trying before buying would definitely result in lower sales.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I keep my server performance server setting at a minimum of 0% so i can see which servers tend to have issues. Multiplay labelled servers(whether those are the bought or free ones) ALWAYS have issues, along with hyperion, ibis, and a few others. Playing on them is an unpleasant experience.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Because Multiplay has specifically blamed RUST servers, that and no matter what machine you get put on they all suck.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Been asking for server performance to be worked in for so long now, given up.