NSWC Travel plans!

HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
Hey guys, apparently there's a 100+ community members going to one event! That means there's real chance to have a fist fight with anyone who disagreed with one of your posts on the forums!
But In all seriousness that's a lot of people coming from all over the world to one Place. There's a good chance you might be traveling on your own (like myself). There's also a good chance you might be inept at finding the best travel deals or navigating airports (like myself). So I propose that if you have booked your means of travel please post the details here so people can hook up and use the buddy system...or just find a good deal.. useless they've disagreed with one of your posts. So to start it off...

Departure Birmingham to Duesseldorf 1 h 45 m 372miles

BHX 07:00 DUS 09:45
Flybe 7041
Return Duesseldorf to Birmingham 1 h 30 m 372miles

DUS 16:00 BHX 16:30
Flybe 7046

I booked through Expedia for a £143... There was a cheaper one (by like 4 squid) but the page was broken!

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    I live close (2hour) by so thinking about either train or car.
    As for hotels: i suggest booking something in the city center (innenstadt / altstadt).
    The studio is maybe at a 20min walk from there, on the other side of the river.

@WasabiOne @Reddog will the committee make some (rudimentary) drinking/partying plans? I hear Reddog does nice 'find the pub' maps.

For the real nitelifers i suggest the Bootshaus club. :)
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    CCTEE dont tell me you live in frankfurt?

We need to find something bigger, otherwise 100+ ppl will have to split after the event.
    No bar can take 100 people instantly.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Anyone from Australia? Anyone?
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Aioros wrote: »
    No bar can take 100 people instantly.
    Bar your mum. Ka-zing!

On a more serious note, people will split up anyway. Not everyone will know and/or like everyone and people fancy doing different things. There's a lot of things we can do and a lot of places we can go to, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, I've lived in Cologne for 10+ years, so feel free to consult me for stuff if you have any questions.
  • rayzourayzou Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184066Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Fuck, we must reserve some great place to make the biggest party this community has ever seen.

Let's reserve a whole bar and everyone pays to get in ? Sounds pretty nice to me... (I know it's even more $$ to spend, but we won't be able to do anything with 100people without paying.

Moreover, last time I was in Cologne, bars closed at ~1am or 2am, or maybe I was in the bad place ?
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    you were in the bad place Ray. Strip clubs are open all night!
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    will the committee make some (rudimentary) drinking/partying plans? I hear Reddog does nice 'find the pub' maps.

Yes, there will be information on the NS2WC website for after-event meeting places/party. Will let you know once that's all hammered out. @halfofaheaven I may contact you for some help if that's okay :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited January 2014
    I'm gonna enter the car and drive there... and afterwards, I'm gonna enter the car and... drive back. Woo.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    On a more serious note, people will split up anyway. Not everyone will know and/or like everyone and people fancy doing different things.

Not sure about who you r talking, but most people will try to stick together =)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Aioros wrote: »
    On a more serious note, people will split up anyway. Not everyone will know and/or like everyone and people fancy doing different things.

Not sure about who you r talking, but most people will try to stick together =)

Valk will split up and let his teammates die.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @sebastianoswell,

Drink one for your friend downunder downunder!

(New Zealand)
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    :'( NO one to hold my hand at the German air port... Im scared! Is anyone else landing and Dusseldorf and does anyone know the best way to get into cologne from there? Train tickets are about £32 to book now but if someone lives buy I don't mind paying petrol or waiting around to travel together.
    To my fellow Englanders: I know of people flying out of Luton and Gatwick airports and I'm going from Birmingham so if you still to book from the uk and need a hand to hold I might be able to lend you one or point you in the right direction!
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    Train tickets from Düsseldorf to Cologne should be 19 EUR for one way. Your best bet is taking the Regional Express (should be called RE7 iirc) straight from the airport to Cologne main station without having to change trains. Within Cologne, I recommend everyone get a daily city ticket (or TAGESTICKET). It's like 5 EUR and you can ride around most of Cologne all you like until 3am.

@Howser, Düsseldorf is on my way to Cologne and I will probably be picking up Obraxis (and/or Bonkers) from the airport. If not by car, at least by train, as buying tickets in Germany is a pain because let's face it, no German speaks proper English.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Howser, Düsseldorf is on my way to Cologne and I will probably be picking up Obraxis (and/or Bonkers) from the airport. If not by car, at least by train, as buying tickets in Germany is a pain because let's face it, no German speaks proper English.

I think it depends on the particular german you speak with. Like in any other country, too.
    (Well, theoretically every one should be able to speak one foreign language after finishing school...)
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    So exciting! We are really happy that so many people are coming to share in this great event with the teams. I can confirm that YES we are working on an after party plan. Blind is hunting for a place for us right now. More information to come...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd consider going if it wasn't going to cost me over $3,000 for the whole trip. ...Or more.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I'd consider going if it wasn't going to cost me over $3,000 for the whole trip. ...Or more.
    Maybe next time in hobbit or kangaroo land Ghost3. :)
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow

I think it depends on the particular german you speak with. Like in any other country, too.
    (Well, theoretically every one should be able to speak one foreign language after finishing school...)

It's really bad on avarage. And the few ones that can "speak" english will be able to do that in a very broken manner (but probably enough to understand).

But no worries, you can also buy train tickets online. It's painless, but you need a printer.
    http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml (note: use native city name Köln )
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    only ~$1000 USD from Oklahoma City, OK to DUS