Who says marines can't win?

2»

Comments

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Locklear wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »
    The_Ranger wrote: »
    Was it 1 or 2 edits to get to a half way descent flame?

My post was actually a lot more harsh before I edited it.

Just being honest.. it's all well and good to solo an onos that is 100x more worse than you and missing like every gore.. On the other hand it's much more entertaining to see one marine a juke an onos of EQUAL skill and then kill him without any medpacks or jetpacks.. (doable by using props/terrain in a room - albeit rare)

... can you even kill an onos without at least one ammo pack? any onos that does to a single marine is almost by definition less skilled. by the third clip of not killing the marine, running away should be the overriding impulse... and marines can't chase that well.

I can link a video clip of me juking an NSL player's onos on system waypointing railings without taking damage and bringing him to 2% before he escaped with a single shotgun at weapons 1. Weapons 2 or 3 and he would've died. Finding ways to survive in even the most impossible situations is what is entertaining imo.

Weapons 2 or 3 and he would have escaped sooner
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    @IronHorse @GISP, people are abusing flag button again... (CyberKun)

Why do I have to keep calling admins because of this?

If the flag function is supposed to be the report, it should be made clearer. It looks like the disagree/agree/awesome, with it it even showing the number of flags one get.
    Its been said time and time again that most new people don't know the in-and-outs of the game. The "better" way of doing things. This shows "better" (maybe not best) type of movement that could be done doing a fight to help stay alive (I hear time and time again from people that can't kill skulks while in-game). Seemingly it shows, that you need to shoot them in the nose or butt in order to have good aim (Thx Locklear!) If you watch the movement & attacks of the Onos, you'd see that all he/she did wrong was to not turn with his mouse right before the attack. I kept going to the side of him/her and they didn't react in turn. So for those who have a hard time killing as an Onos, keep that one in mind.

In short, you know how to sidestep. Pro stuff, I'm sure it has never been used before in higher level play and therefor is impossible to counter.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sidestepping an onos works great when the onos only lands 2 hits per minute.
    This thread seems more about 'look how awful this new player is' than anything else.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So while having made it clear I was talking about/to newer players, you somehow took it and applied it to "higher level" play. Either you don't understand English too well or you're posting just to hop on a wagon.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If you're trying to encourage new players that marines can win.. this was not a very good example. This was pure luck that you came across a first time player and happened to be streaming.

Rather than gloat about fragging a noob Onos player.. spend some time commanding new players or working with them as a marine/skulk and calling engagements.. etc. Teaching them the ins and outs.

Much more productive than pride posting a frag that isn't entertaining or informative on how to play NS2.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You assume based off of 1:23 of video that I do none of those things. That I'm somehow proud (despite the fact I have already commented on that).

Twitch only keeps videos for 2 weeks (and I took time off) or you'd be able to see that while on stream (and off) that I do indeed teach newbies and noobs alike. Both to the veiwers and those in-game.

Perhaps the fact that I have a server that is just for newer players, in which I only spec and teach, or comm and teach "might" have given you a clue to that. But no, people see one thing and believe that's all there is to that topic.
    Oh yes, and where in the video did you see or hear me gloat? Where in this thread did I gloat?
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    By posting the video, you're gloating. You might as well have said, "Hey! I killed an onos...by myself! He was a rookie but still." Congrats man. You're awesome.

Besides, you reloaded your pistol. #-o
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    CyberKun wrote: »
    @IronHorse @GISP, people are abusing flag button again... (CyberKun)

Why do I have to keep calling admins because of this?

If the flag function is supposed to be the report, it should be made clearer. It looks like the disagree/agree/awesome, with it it even showing the number of flags one get.
    Its been said time and time again that most new people don't know the in-and-outs of the game. The "better" way of doing things. This shows "better" (maybe not best) type of movement that could be done doing a fight to help stay alive (I hear time and time again from people that can't kill skulks while in-game). Seemingly it shows, that you need to shoot them in the nose or butt in order to have good aim (Thx Locklear!) If you watch the movement & attacks of the Onos, you'd see that all he/she did wrong was to not turn with his mouse right before the attack. I kept going to the side of him/her and they didn't react in turn. So for those who have a hard time killing as an Onos, keep that one in mind.

In short, you know how to sidestep. Pro stuff, I'm sure it has never been used before in higher level play and therefor is impossible to counter.

you mean flags aren't a good thing!?!?? it doesn't mean super awesome exclamation point post, everybody should take note of this well thought of cogent poet?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I saw the server in your signature. That's great that you do all that.

But I still don't see what you expected in terms of responses to this.

It comes off to people.. no matter what you try to disguise it as.. as a frag video. And frag videos are almost always a display of a great feat or skilled play. Which leads to the next point.. you were looking for some sort of "wow you're so amazing" type posts. If you weren't.. then what was the point?

What did you really expect most of the regular posters here to think of this?
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2014
    I've found Access Alpha in Eclipse is a nice place to try and 1v1 onoses. Hop down the side and then back up when they come after you. Haven't gotten one so far because I'm a big nub and keep on hopping back up prematurely (and usually people know better and just run away), but I've come close!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    @CyberKun You know its purpose. And he is right you know, use the disagree option for stuff you disagree whit. You are well aware of the differences of spaming, abusive behavior and an disagreement.

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do think it is spam, but not in the manner to be reported. I moved it to disagree, and I suggest that Flag instead just be renamed Report.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I do think it is spam, but not in the manner to be reported. I moved it to disagree, and I suggest that Flag instead just be renamed Report.
    Yeah, you know, before someone gets jailed.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ugh, that button should just be removed entirely or at a minimum not publicly show votes like it used to when it was "report" ..
    Such a headache
  • AconitAconit Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185502Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    So while having made it clear I was talking about/to newer players, you somehow took it and applied it to "higher level" play. Either you don't understand English too well or you're posting just to hop on a wagon.
    So the title of your thread and your OP are not clear. At all.
    Please edit them so your point becomes obvious...

• AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys... it's a freaking joke. Not a "look at how gosu I am" vid.

Some of you seriously need to get the White Knight stick out your ass...
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    My question would be why you engaged the onos alone (when you obviously heard it) instead of hiding and trying to trap it with your team ^^
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Afterhours wrote: »
    Not a "look at how gosu I am" vid.

Priceless.

But really. This thread serves no purpose and is turning into a mud flinging contest. Close it pl0x.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    thread of massive rage... mmm I have such a clue... mmm me too.. my clues pointing that way... mmm let's follow your clue. .....?
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    I've got a raging clue. Let's follow yours.
    Anzestral wrote: »
    My question would be why you engaged the onos alone (when you obviously heard it) instead of hiding and trying to trap it with your team ^^

Whole team was in the base.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    That onos was clearly quite intoxicated.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Why do these forums have so many negative/bad posts? People need to be kinder and more respectful on these forums.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "I'm either just that good or the Onos Badge has fearsome hidden perks :D " <- Pretty sure it is just the badge :)
    Why do these forums have so many negative/bad posts? People need to be kinder and more respectful on these forums.

while generally I agree, I don't in this case. the OP was, to many it appears, posting a bragging retort using as his evidence a video of him essentially beating the tar out of a "baby". this deserves ridicule, and it was provided.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    And he had the gall to say he wasn't gloating. BURN HIM!
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    And he had the gall to say he wasn't gloating. BURN HIM!

yes, and if people really start to complain, we can always must claim that it was all an elaborate joke...