All The World To Play For - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

imageAll The World To Play For - Natural Selection 2

If playing a game could get you an international plane ticket, how hard would you play? This weekend, the best teams in Natural Selection 2 battle it out for a spot at the NS2 World Championship Live Finals Series in Cologne, Germany. In the image above, you can see the four matches. The eight teams are: Legendary Snails retiring Godar Ascension Titus Gaming Radical Saunamen iMagine Tune in at the times noted on each of the four Twitch channels to find out who wins the plane tickets. On Saturday 22 February, all four of those winning teams will battle it out live in Germany to see who is the greatest team in the world. This is truly a global …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bumper from down under to open comment thread
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    PS Ascension for the win.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Going to be a cracking weekend of NS2 fun :D
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bahhh, 2 weeks waiting for some NS2 news and all that pops up is another tournament. Great...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ellnic wrote: »
    Bahhh, 2 weeks waiting for some NS2 news and all that pops up is another tournament. Great...

Well, given that the past two weeks have comprised the holidays, not sure what you were expecting. Anyways, cheers to all competing! Gl, hf, all that.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Hugh double post. Ban. :P
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members

It's not "another tournament". It's the continuation of the World Championships.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The winners of these games will be competing at the Live Event. Be sure to check in periodically for more news. :)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I alrdy forgot about the wc.
  • PuzzlePuzzle Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169345Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it possible at all to intentionally deny/exclude snails from at least one tournament ever so it's more interesting?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2014
    Just give asc the cup already. we know all the other teams suck
    #asctogermany #jektnco #teamaus
    Puzzle wrote: »
    Is it possible at all to intentionally deny/exclude snails from at least one tournament ever so it's more interesting?
    Well Snails aren't playing in the Ausns2.org s2. well not unless they move here.

• Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    What a sad transmission. (Legendary Snails vs. retiring). 400 watching at most. Commentator is judgemental and talks about how "he" would have played in that situation. I doubt he's native English speaker. Really annoying to listen to. Pixel quality. Laggy.
    Even Molten International Tournament (no. 6) has more reception, price money and better commentary than this little global wanna-be tournament... Note that Molten is completly private.
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    Comparing NS2 to the most popular and most played game of all time. Don't hurt yourself. The square blocks don't go into the round holes... :D

The community members we have are doing their best. However, I would LOVE to watch you cast a game. Pick one up and leave the time,date, and URL. I'll give you feedback as well. :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    I doubt he's native English speaker. Really annoying to listen to. Pixel quality.

Do you know what, Most of the top NS2 players and commentators are not English native speakers so get your head out of your rascist/nationalist/person phobic view point. Most of the world is not and does not speak English. It's idiots like you that make me wish I was not a Native English speaker, Xenophobia...
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I doubt he's native English speaker. Really annoying to listen to. Pixel quality.

Do you know what, Most of the top NS2 players and commentators are not English native speakers so get your head out of your rascist/nationalist/person phobic view point. Most of the world is not and does not speak English. It's idiots like you that make me wish I was not a Native English speaker, Xenophobia...

Lol. Being annoyed at a caster who is trying to speak English and not doing it very well is not racist or anything else. It means you're annoyed. I know in 2014 the media likes to race bait everything and make the masses hyper politically correct, but Jesus Christ.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

You're overreacting and he's got a point. This isn't about political correctness.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    edited January 2014
    What a sad transmission. (Legendary Snails vs. retiring). 400 watching at most. Commentator is judgemental and talks about how "he" would have played in that situation. I doubt he's native English speaker. Really annoying to listen to. Pixel quality. Laggy.
    Even Molten International Tournament (no. 6) has more reception, price money and better commentary than this little global wanna-be tournament... Note that Molten is completly private.

I like the commentator being judgmental. I don't care for "x is doing y" etc that I can see on the screen for myself - I want to see a debate provoked. I want the commentator to argue a point, whether he is right or wrong (although a decent degree of knowledge and intelligence is required).

I think you have a point about the English, perhaps, in that if you're going to commentate on something in a particular language you should be perfectly intelligible - which, to be honest, I thought Blind was.

Honestly you fooled me when you said you're a "Native" (why the capital...?) speaker. I certainly think that the overall point regarding requiring someone sufficiently proficient in English is a valid one, but in Blind's case I don't understand your gripe as there is not a word he says that I do not immediately understand. Perhaps his pronunciation of Alcalde as "acadee" an exception, actually, which if you consider out of all the possible words one could get wrong, isn't a bad ratio...
  • GreymaneGreymane Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187268Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The url of the link "NS2 World Championship" point on the old ns2 site how haven't got a lot of thing to deal with the championship.
    http://www.ns2wc.com/ isn't a better one? :3

GL&HF for teams going to live finals in Cologne!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited January 2014

I like the commentator being judgmental. I don't care for "x is doing y" etc that I can see on the screen for myself - I want to see a debate provoked. I want the commentator to argue a point, whether he is right or wrong (although a decent degree of knowledge and intelligence is required).
    I think I've seen both brilliant and horrid critical commentary in other games. You need to have both very good game awareness and some slick and diplomatic talking skills to pull it off in a pleasant way. When someone manages to do it properly, it's the best kind of commentary you can get. When things don't work out, it often gets really awkward and bothersome, more so than a lightweight casual play by play.

Simply bashing the players for not taking a presumably optimal path rarely goes a long way. Meanwhile being able to find both the reasons and the results of a certain, possibly questionable decision or action makes the commentary far more insightful and interesting than just the average play by play.
  • Ren26Ren26 Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185811Members
    I try to be as critical as possible in my casts, but I am always aware that my position gives me omniscience over the game, and the players have semi-niscience. Audience/players may disagree with me, that's their prerogative, but I don't think its my job to mediate peoples feelings, only to provide value/insight.

Also casting isn't scripted: there's plenty to talk about during a match, the challenge is being accurate at a glance. Mistakes are inevitable, so again, if people want to criticize that aspect of my casting they are welcome to! The likelihood is that I will dismiss that negativity and just try to be as accurate as possible in future (a priority I already have, it does not bear reminding me)!

Blind, as this is the specific case you are referring to, was very on the ball, and in general a great caster. If you cant interpret his "accent", then mute the stream and do your own internal casting.

Also, I have no problem in general with criticizing casters; how else will they improve.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    After watching iMagine vs Saunamen (awesome match btw guys) I saw hell of a lot of hypothetical and critical commentary that just felt really negative and out of place because the players are not the casters. Countless times I heard Wasabi or Reddog commentate by talking about the most optimum strategy and being really critical of iMagine in particular and it's annoying to listen to because iMagine does not have the information the casters have. iMagine didn't fully understand the economy of Saunamen in that first game for example, they saw that they were doing amazing in keeping the res count down that they thought they had a genuine chance instead of a "hail mary" all-in and that was all that the casters were blabbering on about and even though it might be the right choice, iMagine doesn't know that.

My point is that I don't want to hear critical commentary of the teams because unless you're really really knowledgeable of the pro level and experienced with casting in general, you shouldn't be doing it much if at all. A minor comment here and there is fine if you backup claims but this critical casting seemed to be the focus and was really irritating to listen to. In SC2, there are only a few casters that can pull this type of commentary off and the rest try to avoid it for good reason.

Just my thoughts but I really hate it when casters put down obviously fantastic players even if they do make mistakes.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    I was watching that transmission for about 15 min and then couldn't bear it any longer because of the, in my eyes very poorly administered stream and commentary. Not fun to watch at all, some "lets play" series are more exciting.
    Though I had forgotten that this whole tournament is just organized by some dude that wan't to be in the limelight. UWE merely fell into his trap. Hope exists they take casting over once in Germany. (Also the remaining matches)
    You know what, I'm not English native speaker. No reason to point your finger.
    I like the commentator being judgmental. I don't care for "x is doing y" etc that I can see on the screen for myself - I want to see a debate provoked.
    Well thats true, however I don't wan't to constantly hear how bad the loosing team is handling a situation and also telling how much better they would have done if they'd be gone after this and that objective. (Especially when he's talking about how much better "he" would have played). Ofc they would have won a fight if say 10s earlier in cross.
    I like to hear about the decisions a team might have made and why and what their strategy and counter-strategy might have been in a situation and throughout a game. Also interesting to hear how to generally handle certain fights and how they vary from it to win.
    As @Ren26 said it felt as if the commentator was forgetting the "semi-niscience" of the teams.

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Ah how people always love to complain. The games this weekend where great.I wasn't irritated that much by the negative commentary style.
    The ns2 commentators are not professionals and learn with every match they cast. Some criticism is certainly valid, but there is no need to become that agressive and talk about "traps" etc.
    So keep up the great games and see you all in germany!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    Most casters who have some idea about the game like to add their own opinion on certain plays. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. It really doesn't matter. I would much rather have casters talk about possible strategies once in a while than bland play-by-play the entire time. Keep in mind that not every person who watched the cast knows how competitive NS2 works. Both Reddog and Wasabi have been casting and watching comp NS2 for a long time. They might not have have the same level of knowledge as a premier level players but they are still excellent casters and do their best to commentate on possible alternate strategies.

Anyway, the Sauna/iMagine games were great and I recommend anyone who did not get the chance to watch them live to watch the VOD. Sauna's strong marine play vs jaivol's excellent comming was a treat to see.

Here is the results of the quarterfinals:
    asd_zps870c839e.png
    Though I had forgotten that this whole tournament is just organized by some dude that wan't to be in the limelight. UWE merely fell into his trap. Hope exists they take casting over once in Germany. (Also the remaining matches)

*facepalm*

Edited to add picture.
    RaZDaZ wrote: »
    My point is that I don't want to hear critical commentary of the teams because unless you're really really knowledgeable of the pro level and experienced with casting in general, you shouldn't be doing it much if at all. A minor comment here and there is fine if you backup claims but this critical casting seemed to be the focus and was really irritating to listen to. In SC2, there are only a few casters that can pull this type of commentary off and the rest try to avoid it for good reason.
    Certainly the caster needs a certain kind of intutive grasp of the game to be critical, but I think the most important bit is that the caster is genuinely interested in understanding and seeing how the game at hand unfolds.

Something like
    This is wrong, X is the standard approach.
    is really blunt and negative and doesn't have much interesting in it.

Meanwhile
    Huh, that's interesting. I think the usual approach is X because of reason Y. I'm curious to see how this unfolds and how they deal with the Y.
    makes things interesting.

Also, I think good casters understand the players and why they make mistakes. Being able to explain why a certain kind of mistake or decision happens helps the viewers appreciate the skill of the players further whenever such things are avoided. Especially in a game like NS2 where it's sometimes hard to have a solid long term practise routine, it's very important to be able to recognize the challenges the teams face during a round rather than just comparing the ongoing game to some theoretical model of a well played round.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Guys stop marking @_INTER_ ´s post as abuse. If you disagree in something, then use the disagree option.
    edited January 2014
    @Bacillus Thats exactly what I wanted to say! Not that this "blind" guy was commentating negatively like that all the time, but he went that direction too often for my taste. Also I wan't to point out, that his camera handling was not bad at all. I sometimes miss the 3rdps / fps view in other casts.
    Gonna look the Sauna/iMagine games now.
    edited January 2014
    @Bacillus Thats exactly what I wanted to say! Not that this "blind" guy was commentating negatively like that all the time, but he went that direction too often for my taste. Also I wan't to point out, that his camera handling was not bad at all. I sometimes miss the fps view in other casts.
    Gonna look the Sauna/iMagine games now.
    I'm glad if I made some sense with that post.

Just as a side note, I've got quite a bit of respect towards the "blind guy" and I haven't seen the rounds in particular so I'm just throwing in very general thought about how I feel about casting competetive games in any esportish thing.

Also, I've got quite a lot of understanding for casters sometimes having trouble finding nice things to say. When I was writing content for ENSL in NS1 era, I sometimes ended up watching some rather repetetive patterns of teams losing to pretty simple mistakes again and again. It wasn't always easy to find anything remotely interesting or positive things to say about a round you've seen a dozen times before. Still, I think it's very important to keep trying to make most of the matches there are available even on the moments when they're not necessarily the very top notch quality.