DXSetup Error

plowman33plowman33 Nebraska Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191828Members
So I just got the game on Steam, and upon launching, I get the error "The program or feature "\??\C:\Program Files (X86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

I get the same type of error when I go to the directory and try to run DXSetup myself.

So what's the solution? All I can find in the forums talks about shaders and what not, I don't see anything else about DXSetup errors right off the bat.

Comments

• plowman33plowman33 Nebraska Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191828Members
    I just uninstalled and reinstalled the whole game, same issue...
    so copying and pasting in new dxsetup.exe and dsetup.dll and dsetup32.dll files in from another Steam game directory makes the initial error go away, but now the menu's don't do anything. I can't click the optimize button when the game starts, I can only click Skip. From there, any menu option just takes me to a blank screen. (Not a black screen, it's just the waterfall picture in the background) From there, there is no way back to the main menu and I have to back out and kill the application. This is really stupid. I've never had these kinds of issues with a Steam game before... I attached my dxdiag report if that helps anyone, assuming anyone ever responds...
    solved it by deleting the LUA folders in the two directories (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2177632#Comment_2177632), re-verifying the Steam installation, and rebooting the PC. Thanks for all the help everyone... :/